PDA

View Full Version : 2d RPG isometric game

doomtoo
02-05-2010, 01:42 AM
I've been working on a 2d isometric game for awhile now, trying to get the first world area tiles started.
I'm want to give it a bit of a cartoony look(which might help blend flaws).

Recently got the book '3d game textures' which has some good advice for making tileable graphics in photoshop, know of any other good resources?

Any ideas on how to break up the monotony of the grass?
(going to add more plants, and slight darker/ lighter areas, but not sure if it will be enough):

http://chrismweb.com/images/projects/Nemesis/map_builder_small.jpg

ansemsnobody
02-05-2010, 01:47 AM
I would add some darker colors to the grass, maybe with a slight purple tinge...look at chrono trigger screen shots up close for example.

also, please don't save sprite like images in .jpg format. it makes my eyes bleed! :eek:

I use .png almost always for all images...

good luck

doomtoo
02-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Cool- added some purple and it looks a lot less like just plain green -

What do you mean with the png/jpeg?

The stuff is all rendered as PNG's, just the screen shot is a jpeg- since png is much larger (since it holds an alpha channel), if I don't have something that needs alpha, I just use jpg and it looks the same to me..?

Think I'm going to focus on adding tree's, shrubs, and grasses to bring it out of the "junky 2d tile" look more.

Guy In Rubber Suit
02-05-2010, 08:17 PM
The newest issue of Game Developer magazine has a great article on tileable textures. You can download it here: http://www.gdmag.com/homepage.htm

And you definitely should not use a stylized cartoon style as a way to mask flaws.

kobi
02-05-2010, 08:59 PM
The path looks very liner... I would add some variation to the edge of path and some curves.

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2010, 08:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.