PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Loomis

vapsman88
02-03-2010, 07:37 AM
I have been fascinated with Andrew Loomis since my Grandmother gave me a copy of "Creative Illustration" for a High School graduation present way back when, she had it since 1955 (I still have it, btw). I also received "Figure Drawing for All its Worth" shortly after High School. I never really used them to full effect until recently as I am studying illustration full time now.

I found an interesting article on Mr. Loomis in a publication called "Illustration Magazine" that celebrates illustration and artists. It is sold out but the magazines website has an embedded e-reader to read the sold out issues. This article gives an insight to his life and artistic and publishing endeavors. Plus there is roughs and images of book dummies that are very cool.

http://www.illustration-magazine.com/latest20.html

John

Lunatique
02-04-2010, 02:43 PM
What a WONDERFUL article! So many interesting things in it that I never knew about. Loomis is not nearly as famous as some of the other classic illustrators of that era, so not much is written about him, and this article is by far the best I've ever seen. Lots of artwork I've never seen before too!

Thanks so much for sharing that link!

(I've actually always wanted to subscribe to that magazine, but since I don't live in the States anymore, I couldn't. Now being able to read them online makes the pain a bit less.) :)

EDIT: Oh man, I'm really in heaven now. All those beautiful high-resolution images of classic illustration, obviously photographed from original paintings, not old printed copies. The Haddon Sundblom ones are amazing--all never before seen images! Now I'm going to have to scour through every single issue!

Wait, Harry Anderson too! This is un-friggin'-believable!

vapsman88
02-04-2010, 05:59 PM
I figured you especially would enjoy that article. I was up all night just reading it several times and studying many paintings I have never seen before. That gave me new encouragement to study harder.

I especially liked the insight into his making of the early books.

John

~edit~
I forgot...check out issue 16, there is an article about James Bama and also one he wrote about edges in painting.

halen
02-04-2010, 06:57 PM
yes. There seems to be reading for days...

Thanks.

SergeantOreo
02-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Ooh, this looks really good; I've been wanting to learn more about Andrew Loomis for a long time too.. ^^

Heozart
02-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Thank you so much for the article!

Reading it coincided with my new passion for his teachings and philosophy. I had the pdf's for a couple of years, but they were mostly collecting digital dust. I started reading Creative Illustration a few days ago, and it was great to see some of the memorable quotes that I am trying to take to my heart reiterated in the article.

Also, reading the concept of four tonal plans forever changing the author's approach to design was a big approval for the direction and a new focus I have. I was doing those tonal planning exercises before reading the article, and that's how I plan to approach my future work. The basic concept is so simple, yet it revolutionized my understanding of value. Once I understood the basics and saw how it was applied, I started seeing these tonal plans everywhere around me, and couldn't believe that I failed to notice before.

BTW, I found a few high-resolution images of Loomis paintings:

http://chiustream.blogspot.com/search?q=loomis

A couple of these are in the article, but these are high high-resolution. :) You can find hi-res images of other artists like Howard Pyle (who Loomis seemed to have the utmost respect for), Sargent and others on that site.

Lunatique
02-06-2010, 11:51 PM
BTW, I found a few high-resolution images of Loomis paintings:

http://chiustream.blogspot.com/search?q=loomis

A couple of these are in the article, but these are high high-resolution. :) You can find hi-res images of other artists like Howard Pyle (who Loomis seemed to have the utmost respect for), Sargent and others on that site.

Niiiice. I wonder where these people get the high-res versions from? They have to originate from the collectors who own the originals, so the owners must've put them on the internet at some point. Maybe there's a website that's like a repository for these high-res versions? Kind of like artrenewal.org but for classic illustration?

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2010, 11:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.