PDA

View Full Version : problems with rendering

Tellerve
05-21-2002, 12:58 AM
I'm running Softimage XSI 2.01 on winXP and I'm having a problem rendering. It seems to render for awhile and then the program crashes on me, but my OS is fine. What is annoying, beyond the fact it does crash, is that it isn't after a certain set time or anything so far that I can tell. Is there any log file I can look at to see what is going on and try and troubleshoot this?

I messed around with the optimization tab in the render/render/options pull up but setting it to have more ram didn't seem to change anything. Although I don't have a ton, only 512, I still don't think that should be the issue as it renders fine at least for some time.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

Tellerve

raffael3d
05-22-2002, 09:49 AM
I have also 512 and RAM and win XP and it's working fine...what about reinstalling it in another partition?

Atyss
05-22-2002, 03:30 PM
@@@@
Is there any log file I can look at to see what is going on and try and troubleshoot this?
@@@@

Yes you can turn on Verbosity, it will give you a detailed report on what's going on.

@@@@
I messed around with the optimization tab in the render/render/options pull up but setting it to have more ram didn't seem to change anything. Although I don't have a ton, only 512, I still don't think that should be the issue as it renders fine at least for some time.
@@@@

There are a couple of thing that you can check:

- Try playing with BSP settings. When you do so, decrease to minimum all anti-aliasing quality. Then turn on Verbose and see what happens. Do this until you render is fast and fine.

- Do you have motion blur? If so, try to make tests with a lower shutter speed. Sometimes it helps. Also, combining motion blur with refraction and transparency can lead to crashes.

- Try hiding some objects to see if the sequence render. Sometimes it's a specific object that cause the problem.

- When you think you found a troublemaker object, see if there is inverted polygons, overlapping polygon, or any other singularity.

- Try rendering with lower anti-aliasing quality, just to see if it renders.

- Do you have hairs? Despite many bug fixes in version 2.02, there are still bugs with hairs.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Tellerve
05-22-2002, 10:48 PM
I'll look into those but right off the bat I can tell you I have a decent amount of hair. I'm using the hair as grass on top of sandy dunes at the beach. I'm not sure the exact amount offhand but yeah I do have a goodly amount of hair in the scene. I also have some fences that are really just planes with a transparency map allowing a quick easy way for a beach type picket fence. So already I have a couple of your possible problems in my scene. I don't have motion blur but I do have depth of field enabled but in this instance the camera wasn't moving, just the hair from some wind.

Tellerve

mr-doOo
05-22-2002, 11:02 PM
use a 2d depth of field in compositing with a Zpic you will gain
rendertime and memory.

Tellerve
05-22-2002, 11:25 PM
k, i'll try the 2d depth of field later and hope that helps.

About that verbose thing...does it output the information anywhere? I see a lot more information running at blinding speed down at the bottom left of XSI since I turned it on but I can't read it that fast =).

Also, what did you mean, Atyss, by decreasing to minimum all anti-aliasing quality?

thanks,

Tellerve

Atyss
05-22-2002, 11:45 PM
@@@@
About that verbose thing...does it output the information anywhere?
@@@@

Well, if your render crashes, check what the status bar says!

Open the script editor. You'll see that the infos are recorded there.

@@@@
Also, what did you mean, Atyss, by decreasing to minimum all anti-aliasing quality?
@@@@

Put -3/0 as the Sampling, 0.2 as the Treshold, and 1/1 as the Filtering sizes.

Other potential sources of problems:
-Jitter is on in the Aliasing options;
-Shadows maps are generated on the hair areas;
-Two different hair group overlap.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Tellerve
05-23-2002, 12:13 AM
k, first when it "crashes" I come back and it is completely white with the little rendering % bar there but inside it is also white. I can't look down and see what happened when it crashed.

I'll try those settings.

Tellerve

p.s. I am pretty sure my hair parts don't overlap although they do abut each other, and there are four of them. Also I think I should mention I have global illumination on...=), I bet that is causing some grief as well.

RickW
05-23-2002, 03:13 AM
I had a problem with Global illumination crashing on my box XP 1.5 gig ram.

It turns out that there's a bug with GI and ellipitical filtering. I just disabled the filtering on my texture maps and the crashing stopped.

Tellerve
05-23-2002, 11:15 PM
Where do I disable the filtering?

thanks,

Tellerve

Atyss
05-23-2002, 11:53 PM
Elliptical filering is an option available only the textures ppg (Image nodes in the Render Tree).

By default it's off, so if you didn't turn it on you shouldn't have problem with this.

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Tellerve
05-24-2002, 01:58 AM
dang! And I was hoping that'd be the key to my problems. Ahh well no such luck. This is getting to be as annoying as setting up my old computer.

Tellerve

ted
05-24-2002, 02:15 PM
also make sure that you turn off the autosave-option in the user preferences page.

i heard of this making problems during longer renderings.. perhaps it helps.

regards,

ted

Tellerve
05-26-2002, 01:33 AM
Hmm, nope autosave was already off. Well, I guess my scene is just squirrelly and hopefully on future scene they'll be more clean.

:annoyed:

Tellerve

HapZungLam
05-30-2002, 08:53 PM
Does it still crashing when you are only render a cube?

it may not be the performance of your mechine. maybe is because of your scene.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.