PDA

View Full Version : is IKSoft really used by profesional animators or profesional productions?

phoelix
02-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Hi there people!,

i have been studied this system and it seems that it has some adventages, but i am skeptical about its usage. What do you think about it?.

i think that the way of making smooth animations depends on how theanimator uses the rig. besides, this soft ik can cause problems when you want the feet to stick all the time to the floor, if you start getting the hip further above, the foots will start raising before the legs reach their angle limit to avoid the knee snapping harshly. SO ... in that case what should be moved softly is the hip, not the ik.

It seems that this system looks nice only when you are taking the ikgoal further away from the body, a situation where the foot is in the air, in that case the limb should be in FKMode instead.

so... what do you think about it?, i think that is a cool looking feature that actually is not used too much, maybe i am wrong :S.

Duncs
02-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Hi phoelix...

I don't animate anywhere near as much as I'd like and, when I do, I spend a lot of time polishing knee pops out of walks! If there was a system that would allow the IK solver to approach its limit without the acceleration you get by default, I'd be very keen to give it a try.

If however, it comes at the expense of getting reliable foot locking when the foot is planted, it seems like it would solve one problem while creating another and therefore wouldn't be worth the extra overhead in the rig...

Is this something you're thinking of implementing in your IK / FK solver?

Cheers

Duncs

PEN
02-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Interestingly enough I don't get any one asking for that feature in rigs. It can work, but has suggested could cause problems if not set up correctly. It can only be implemented as the IK limbs are about to go straight, if it tries to control it to much it will cause the problem of the feet not being locked. So it is still up to the animator to ensure that the leg isn't being pulled to straight to fast.

Another problem is just rig over head, with all the features that animators do want rigs are getting very complex, time to setup, maintain and bug check can go through the roof.

Polimeno
02-03-2010, 01:52 PM
In my opinion,
you could make it as a blend system, so animators can decide when they´re going to use by playing with values ( 0.0[off] - 100.0[on]), depending of action/performance needs.

seeya

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2010, 01:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.