PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizing Interlaced Footage

aikicaner
02-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Hi everybody, I have very hard time to stabilize a hd interlaced footage in after effects. The footage has been shot in film 24fps and converted in 29.97fps. The client gave it to me in 29.97fps. I import in AE and Interpreted it to upper field. When I try to stabilize this, my Stabilize doesn't go smoothly. I see some freeze frames so that effects my stabilizer.

If I do not put in upper field and leave it Off than my stabilizer doesn't go through the interlaced frames.

Is there any way to stabilize this footage or maybe other compositing softwares could stabilize it (shake, nuke, fusion)? Any ideas?

Thanks
J

PaulDeSilva
02-02-2010, 09:46 PM
It all depends on how that footage was converted to 29.97. If frames were simply duplicated, your track should be alright. If the frames were blended to create "inbetweens" then that's a bit of a pain. If there is really no way you can get the 24 fps originals, I would try to convert back to 24 if possible, do your stabilization, then convert back to 29.97. Also, from what I understand, you generally want to use lower frame.

On another note, why is it converted to 29.97? As I understand it, if you shot 23.976 then you stay in that format all the way until before the final export, not as you are putting the film together.

erilaz
02-02-2010, 11:01 PM
If you have CS4, try using mocha for After Effects to track the footage instead. You can separate the fields and have the option to track on individual fields if necessary.

Also, if you're getting individual duplicate frames, your footage might also have pulldown which can cause more problems if you haven't set it.

If you track through your footage frame by frame (cmd/ctrl+Arrow Key) does the footage jump back or stutter? If so you may need to interpret the footage as lower-field first.

Iaenic
02-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Not sure if this is entirelly applicable, but I wanted to throw it out in case it helps. If duplicate frames continue being an issue, you can try and remove them with a script.

http://aescripts.com/duplicate-frame-remover/

aikicaner
02-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Not sure if this is entirelly applicable, but I wanted to throw it out in case it helps. If duplicate frames continue being an issue, you can try and remove them with a script.

http://aescripts.com/duplicate-frame-remover/

Hey Chris, thanks for the script. I will try to remove frames but the problem is, my final comp has to be 5sec and the original footage has been sent 5sec. If I delete the frames than footage will be short.

Also, I will try to stabilize in mocha and see how that goes. I am shake and fusion user and I haven't used mocha before. But, it should be able to figure it out.

I will let you know guys. Thanks again for the tips...

Elwoodrow
02-10-2010, 06:09 PM
If you are still having issues, try tracking on individual color channels, the blue channel is usually a culprit in most cases. Use the shift channels to green or red and then pre-compose it. Track the pre-comp. That has worked for me in the past on a few shots, but Mocha will give the best results.

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2010, 06:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.