PDA

View Full Version : Using Ambient Occlusion with mental ray in 3dsMax 2010

i3DTutorials
02-01-2010, 08:02 PM
In this video, from “Production Instruction with 3ds Max 2010: Volume II”, we’ll take advantage of mental ray’s ability to create ambient occlusion rendering to better present our 3d modeling work. By rendering using the technique shown in this video, you can create a fast, clean, and clear render of your 3d scenes.

http://www.i3dtutorials.com/tutorial/78_using-ambient-occlusion-with-mental-ray-in-3dsmax-2010

http://www.i3dtutorials.com/img/78_product_pic_large.jpg

Bullit
02-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the tut!

i3DTutorials
02-02-2010, 06:01 AM
No problem! Enjoy!

samartin
02-02-2010, 06:56 AM
I started watching this but it seems like a terribly long winded way to produce an AO pass to me.

I haven't used Max for a while but from what I remember you can use override materials by dropping an AO shader on it, this way you don't lose material settings and it really is a quick set up.

sconlogue
02-02-2010, 01:48 PM
It's nicely put together, but not at all how I would approach an AO pass. Now, if your want to build AO into your Archi shader by using AO in the diffuse slot and then putting your diffuse color or texture in place of the white slot this would be the way to go, but it's would be impossible to adjust your AO globally which is kind of important. Instead I would use a Mental Ray material with AO in the surface slot adjust as desired, throw it into mat override and your done. Also it would ignore any lights in the scene as there is no "Shading" making adjusting the ambient light and creating a light to turn off unnecessary and I believe your container could be left alone as well. But You do a great job of explaining the mechanics of AO and why you want to use it so don't get me wrong.

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2010, 01:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.