PDA

View Full Version : Sufacing a "Nebulon-B Frigate"

Meko
08-29-2003, 12:14 PM
hey guyz, im making a modle for a nebulon b clas frigate (star wars)

i was wondering what would be the generally easiest way to do it (lightwave).

for those of u wh odont know what this is, ill give you a link to one thats already been created.

(sry whoevers site this is, yer bandwidth will die) =))

http://hangarbay.tripod.com/defendfrigate.jpg

mines not the exact same as this but its similar. the blue windows he has... all mien will be modled on... i dont liek the textures on windows.

(edit) oh ya btw i want it to look more realistic than this (as realistic as starwars can get haha:rolleyes: )

EricChadwick
08-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Link doesn't work. But it's funny, the main page has an image of three tie fighters... that's a frame from an animation we did at Mondo Media a looong time ago for Lucas Arts' Rebel Assault II. We did a bunch of cinematics for them and some levels. All FMV stuff.

Anyhow, texturing your model could first involve a dirt pass. Look into any plugins that can add dirt in the crevices of your model. There are some auto-dirt plugins for Max that I use, not sure about Lightwave. This will give you a start.

Then you can use one of those hull-plating textures that you see everywhere, with all the little rectangle plates and lines.

Do you have reference of the actual physical models they used in the movies? That would help a lot, give you a clear reference point of what to aim for.

Meko
08-30-2003, 11:55 AM
well ive got mayn shots of the frigates..... and ive got frame captures from the original movies.

lol u guyz did those animations??? thats sweet....

yea i dunno about an auto dirt bit for lightwave im relativly new..

thx fer yer help anyway =)

leigh
08-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Meko, I would recommend reading through the section on the Surface Editor (chapter 31) in your LW manual - especially the parts on Procedural textures. You can quickly set up procedurals as dirt maps, especially when you create weight maps (see chapter 28 - Vertex Maps) to control their visibility :)

I would also suggest that you have a go at painting some textures for your model. This type of ship could probably be mapped using relatively simple planar projections :)

Mattoo
08-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Look up a program called "grit 2" on Flay.com. That'll do your auto dirt.
There's also a tutorial (on the Newtek site I think) for doing a radiosity pass and baking it onto a texture to create an auto-dirt effect.

Meko
08-31-2003, 12:37 PM
good idea mattoo.

Leigh yer a savior you always reply to me =))

but i dont have a LW manual =\. bought used. disk only

oh yea, i did the whole make my own textures bit..... but they never work =(( i can get simple ones to work, but as soon as alphas, layers, or time gets into one it dont work :rolleyes:

leigh
08-31-2003, 12:49 PM
You should NEVER buy a program without its manual! In fact, I know that with some companies, it is not allowed. At any rate, check out the Online Docs folder on your install disc, and you'll find a PDF version of the manual ;)

Reading through the chapter on the Surface Editor will definitely help to clear up how all the layers and alphas and stuff work!

Oh, incidently, I know that there was a problem with corrupted PDF files on a lot of LW discs, so I *think* you can download it from NewTeks site... Go have a look there :)

Meko
08-31-2003, 12:51 PM
heh yea i plan on buying a new copy of lightwave once i get some mony =))

and thx again leigh yer the best! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.