PDA

View Full Version : Softbody values

Qslugs
08-29-2003, 08:15 AM
Anyone have good softbody numbers for flab/breasts? I can't quite seem to get the settings right, however I haven't done much with them in the previously. Also, are the only usable values within the slider range, or is it worth it typing values in manually?

ThomasHelzle
08-29-2003, 12:21 PM
"Values" won't help you much, since the behaviour depends a lot on your actual mesh.
Values out of the slider range are very much needed - in fact, I really never use the sliders - their value range is just too limited ;-)
I think that is something that has to change in a later revision - 0-1 sliders are simply outdated.

For your case, try activating the hold value - this keeps the overall form of your breast. I also set the damping to some value because I don't like too much of wiggling around.
But everything else is trial and error... ;-)

Good luck!

Thomas Helzle

Facial Deluxe
08-30-2003, 01:22 PM
Don't know if that'll help or no.
Knowing nothing about Messiah, in LW when deforming with MD, values are all related to the size of the object. So, I was wondering if the fact you have to go out of the actual range, was related to a too big or too small scaled object.

ThomasHelzle
08-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Yes, size is one thing, but mesh density is another. Softbodys are some kind of springs between the points of the mesh. If you have the same spring strenght, but 10 of them in one, and hundreds in another case on the same area, the second one will react different, most likely stiffer (but that depends on the implementation).
So until someone does a resolution-independent solution, you will allways have to play.

And even PmG stated lately, that they don't intended to do a cloth-simulation...

Geco
08-30-2003, 02:38 PM
I haven't had time to do any experimenting, but I'll say again what I've said for 4 years now, and that's that SoftBody is not designed to do clothing. Eventually it probably will be, but for right now it's for things like capes, sheets, jiggling flesh, and other "external" things. There might be ways of doing some kinds of clothing with it, but it's not going to work very well if you have a character and you want to put pants on him.

Fred
i can't read that pmG don't intend to do a cloth simulation.
or are you referring to another post?

rnb2
08-30-2003, 03:00 PM
I think Thomas just meant that the Soft Body feature, as currently implemented in messiah, is not intended as a clothing simulator.

ThomasHelzle
08-30-2003, 04:20 PM
Exactly ;-)

Geco
08-31-2003, 11:43 AM
sure. :p

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.