PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Multi-Display Performance

flowbot
01-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Hi,

ok i finally got a new rig and so far i'm really happy with it. Problem is.. i don't like the performance with win7 and my 2 displays.

If an application that does not use aero theme is visibly on the desktop, doesnt matter if there is a window in front of it, the display performance really breaks down. It stutters when i try to move my Windows. It is sometimes no problem when the non-aero app (like winamp/itunes) is on the same display as the window i'm moving around, but sometimes not. Most of the time it really performs poorly.

Another issue is, that the graphics card just wont detect the displays correctly regarding their priority. The one plugged in port 1 of the graficscard is always nr 2 in windows and vice versa.. well ok that is not that much of a problem but it's really strange.. if i swap the cables, the left monitor still is nr 2 and the right still is 1, no change whatsoever.

And something u should now is that my PSU, which i'm going to RMA now, acts like a loudspeaker for the system.. if i turn my powerprofile to "high performance" it makes a constant high pitched sound. But even on "balanced" i can HEAR the harddisc activity and things like that through the psu :) I also hear it during 3d Mark benchmarks for example.. i don't know if this has something to do with it.

I really am not satisfied with this :-/ Maybe you know whats wrong or have similar experiences?

My system: Asus P6T Deluxe v2, i7 920, 6GB Corsair XMS3, EVGA Geforce GTX260, Corsair 650W PSU

imashination
01-31-2010, 01:44 PM
What makes you think its the PSU? If you can 'hear' things like dragging windows, navigating 3d apps and playing video its almost always the gfx card causing the squeaking or buzzing.

flowbot
01-31-2010, 01:47 PM
I it took the PSU out there and listened to it :)
Just to make sure what makes those squeaky sounds. I've heard the MB can make those sounds as well due to some capacitors.. but i could not tell for sure if its the PSU or the MB but it came from the back so i took it out and i can confirm that it's the PSU.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2010, 01:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.