PDA

View Full Version : MR Daylight Texturing Query

Khrob
01-30-2010, 10:43 AM
G'day all,

I'm using a standard Max 2009 Daylight System for a short animation, and having some issues with a character texture. See below...

http://khrob.com/mismatch.jpg

The material is an Arch & Design, and the 'fur' is just coming from a painted bump map.

What do I need to do to get the diffuse colour to show up under the daylight system? It's driving me nuts!!

Any and all help very much appreciated!

MasonDoran
01-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Make sure Diffuse Weight is 1 (at least in maya Arch Vis shaders)

Khrob
01-31-2010, 01:00 AM
No go I'm afraid - almost indistinguishable from the shot on the left above with that.

I had some joy with a ProMaterials: Generic with the map in both the diffuse and the self illumination parts. It's not great, but it'll do unless anyone else has any suggestions!

Thanks MasonDoran

JeffPatton
01-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Obviously you shouldn't have to use self-illumination just to make materials visible in your scene. Therefore something is wrong with your scene/settings. Here's a few things to check:

I don't see any direct light from the sun in your test render. If you've disabled the mrSun then you won't see any light unless FG is enabled. Keep in mind, a skylight doesn't produce direct light with mental ray in 3ds Max...a 3ds Max skylight/mrSky will only illuminate a scene when FG is enabled.

If that's not the case then have you adjusted any of the other settings on the mrSun/mrSky in the daylight system? If so, try resetting them all back to the default values.

Use the material override to apply a default standard material to the objects in the scene and render. If this renders as expected then you've just narrowed the problem down to your material configuration.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2010, 01:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.