PDA

View Full Version : Null parent deform my clip

neofg
01-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Hi all! I have a simple problem but I Can't solve. I have an animated null. It move, rotate, ecc... Now, when I parent a clip to the null (and when I make this the null is rotated), the parented object is immediately deformed.
Why?

Thanks all!

PaulDeSilva
01-29-2010, 12:13 AM
This is because you scaled the null in one direction. Nulls act a little differently than everything else so sadly, this is the way it goes. Either start with an unscaled null, or, if it's for something that can't be started over again and you need a quick workaround using your scaled null, parent position and rotation seperately (i.e. alt-click the stopwatch on the child layer, then pickwhip it to the corresponding transform of the null).

neofg
01-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Very Very thanks Paul.
I Can't find the solution... I need to parent the object to the null, but so I make an expression. And so the position,rotation and scale of the Child became the Parent's one and it change again... :-(
I try something as you said... Thanks for your help.

PaulDeSilva
01-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes, the only reason it's doing that skewing to your adjustment layer is because the null is scaled in one direction more than another. If you have everything keyed as you do in the image attached and simply click the stopwatch on scale to remove the keyframes, it will go back to the proper scale. Parenting will be just fine as long as you initially parent it to an unscaled null. Once parented, it will inherit the scale of the null as expected.

Parenting parents everything. What I was suggesting (if you can't afford to start over with a fresh null) is to attach each attribute separately and the easiest (maybe only?) way is to do use expressions. You don't need to actually write the expressions; the pickwhip will work just fine.

neofg
01-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Paul Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!
I solved the problem so... I simply copy the attributes (scale, position and rotation) to 3 separated nulls. Then I parent the position and scale and made an expression with rotation because rotation still give me problems ( something like "thisComp.layer("Name of Rotation Null").transform.rotation-(initial angle)" ) And it work!
Thank you for your time and help, you save me! :-)

PaulDeSilva
01-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Glad I could help. It's a great way to get more levels of control when you are doing more complicated "rigging".

neofg
01-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I love After Effects. You think that you know all and then you find other hundred things...
Good art!

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2010, 11:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.