PDA

View Full Version : Canvas rotation query

musashidan
01-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Although i use both ZB and Mudbox i can't help but wonder why on earth the mesh always seems to end up at strange angles whilst rotating around the canvas in ZB. And although it's great to be able to shift-snap to ortho views i always find the model ends up tilted no matter what. This never happens in MB. Is this by any chance related to the whole 2.5D thing?
Even watching guys like Zac Petroc or Cesar Dacol Jnr on vids i see this behavior. :D
Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe it's a side effect of jumping from ZB to Mud to ZB.

designingpatrick
02-22-2010, 03:21 AM
Well sir, let me say that I jumped on to the forums to ask the same question. I'm glad I did a little reading before posting.

It's funny how zbrush is all about getting past the software, so you can get into sculpting mode; but the model is always twitching and snapping. It likes to jump upside down too. And yeah, the rotation model makes it very difficult to keep the mesh horizontal.

Oh man, I guess I will just ignore it. MB is sounding enticing.

musashidan
02-22-2010, 12:40 PM
That's right mate, i remember reading your post before i posted but you didn't really get any kind of answer. I've gotten used to it now but the new Alt+tap frame function is really terrible. Although Mud is much better for navigating around the viewport, i have to say that i've definitely fallen in love with ZB. Once you get used to navigating i suppose you just get on with the amazing sculpting experience you get in ZB.

Nathan
02-22-2010, 03:29 PM
by default zbrush uses the tumble sort of rotation, spinning on all axis. I hated this as well coming from max and maya but eventually got used to it and prefer it for sculpting since sometimes when working on certain tight areas you don't care if it's upside down you just need a clear view of what you're sculpting.

there's an easy fix though. over on the right side of the frame, switch it from "XYZ" mode and lock the rotation to "Y" only. that will give you the turntable style rotation you're looking for.

musashidan
02-22-2010, 03:43 PM
there's an easy fix though. over on the right side of the frame, switch it from "XYZ" mode and lock the rotation to "Y" only. that will give you the turntable style rotation you're looking for.

Excellent tip. This does the job perfectly. :thumbsup:

designingpatrick
02-23-2010, 03:11 AM
Nice! Plus, you could probably assign the constraint to a hotkey. It reminds me of how max constrains to the desired axis after orbiting in the approximate direction and holding shift.

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2010, 03:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.