PDA

View Full Version : 101 on working with 3d elements and DPX seq?

everlite
01-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a little 101 on the workflow involved with taking 3d elements back into a DPX project then outputting to DPX.

So i have a DPX sequence in AE. Over in 3ds Max I'm rendering off as 16BIT TIFFs with alphas, bringing this into AE, and the colour space on the 3d element is different to the plate/seq.

Thanks
Dave.

beaker
01-28-2010, 07:37 PM
are you referring to making an output to log space for a film print?

DPX can be log or lin so just saying doing stuff for a dpx sequence is confusing.

everlite
01-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Yep its very confusing for me :/

The sequence needs to be returned as provided; as a DPX sequence in LOG; so one might guess that it's going to be printed.

I havent comped any 3d elements into this kind of project before, so looking for any tips, suggestions on how best to render and prepare the 3d renders to work in this environment.

And anything i might need to know about importing and working with these elements in AE with relation to DPX/LOG plates ...

So to sum up, i've been provided with a DPX sequence in LOG, i need to create and comp in various 3d elements then return as provided.

Thanks
Dave.

PaulDeSilva
01-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Don't know how much you've figured out but I'll just mention as much as I know.

The easiest way to do this is select the dpx sequence, right click>interpret footage. Go to the colour management tab and then click on the cineon settings button. After Effects by default has it as full range but you want it to be at over range. The logarithmic conversion setting will be ticked on as well as the settings changing. Now you should be viewing the footage as it should appear. Look for a highlight or something that is white and check the values to make sure they are registering as over 1.000. You must be working in 32 bit per channel.

When you go to export the sequence, select cineon and in the settings you can change it over to dpx. Make sure over range is again selected. Now, at rendertime, it will do the conversion automatically and you won't have to worry about all that other rot. Try this once before you start and reimport what you exported and ensure it is coming in exactly as the dpx files you received from the lab (always check highlights to make sure you aren't chopping off the values over 1).

Hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2010, 10:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.