PDA

View Full Version : Major Beef paging XSI....

visualboo
05-20-2002, 07:44 PM
Whats up with xsi's built in import/export functionality. Is it me or does it totally suck? I think all the major players should ALL have each others file formats built into each app. Softimage? you listening? Do us all a good thing and fix it.

Ok, I ask everybody that reads this to reply just with a simple "yes" if that's all you wanna type. Then I can show SI the importance of this. Just make sure your reply has your vote in it so I can tally them up.

Thanks guys/1 or 2 gals :)

Iain McFadzen
05-20-2002, 08:09 PM
yes

goddamnit, HELL yes

tuna
05-20-2002, 09:11 PM
this pisses me off as well :shame:

YES!

visualboo
05-20-2002, 09:31 PM
Woah... sorry Iain. I didn't know you had the artist formerly known as thing in your sig. Cerreto and I were joking about me doing that when I switched my screenname.

OK... we got 3 to show SI. Anyone else?

Tellerve
05-20-2002, 11:55 PM
heck yeah, I'm in for a very vehement yes.

Tellerve

raffael3d
05-21-2002, 11:43 AM
YES!
this pisses me off too.:bounce:

wurp
05-21-2002, 12:52 PM
at first this pissed me off to, but when I found deep exploration from www.righthemisphere.com I got more comfortable with it...
When I wanna export to ANY app I just export as dotXSI in XSI and load it into deep exploration 3d, and from there i can export to almost any 3d format on the market. Even if a 3d app like XSI would be able to export to more formats it would harly be able to export to all formats that deep exploration can export to.

Vic3k
05-21-2002, 01:06 PM
well it's not the problem of softimage, it's the problem with the industry. any major app does have some converters but that's about it. they all do not support more then like 10 converters from which about 6 are always totally useless coz it always turns out the other ppl doesn't support that one but does the other one which the initial app doesn't. it's also good for business coz then comes companies like that one that made deep exploration which feeds on the lack of futures in 3d programs. well i guess the idea behind this, isn't that it's hard for them to do or anything, it's just "do everything in our program, you don't need any converters and other programs, you can do everything in our program so don't bother"

hell i'm with ya :thumbsup:

visualboo
05-21-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by wurp
at first this pissed me off to, but when I found deep exploration from www.righthemisphere.com I got more comfortable with it...
When I wanna export to ANY app I just export as dotXSI in XSI and load it into deep exploration 3d, and from there i can export to almost any 3d format on the market. Even if a 3d app like XSI would be able to export to more formats it would harly be able to export to all formats that deep exploration can export to.

So is that a :thumbsup: or a :thumbsdow

Vic3k: I just think that all the major players (and anybody else that wanted to join in) should work together to at least incorporate each others formats into them all. They dont have to agree on a single format that would be the main format in ALL the programs. Just include good I/O in each of the apps for each of the apps :)

Joel Hooks
05-21-2002, 04:16 PM
the folks at softimage are well aware of these issues, so i don't know if your poll is nessicary. I've seen it discussed on listservs in the recent past with participation from softimage dev types.

dotXSI is very open, it's other companies that hold their formats close to their chests.

Felixx
05-21-2002, 11:29 PM
For shure they are aware but why is there a halfmade (no offence) obj add-on and a export for max and no import for xsi? I think its a matter of priority.

Felix

visgoth
05-24-2002, 01:29 AM
I'd settle for an xsi interface to old soft 3.9's obj / 3ds / vrml export and import tools. The wide majority of 3d packages can read at least one of those file formats.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.