PDA

View Full Version : can't see Eco trees in viewport when painting

michaelaaut
01-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Hello,

I am using Xstream inside 3dsmax... when I am painting trees through the ECO System, I can't see what I paint.

The viewport just doesn't it... when I hit render, I can see the painted trees.. but of course, I need to see where I paint in order to position.

any ideas what could fix that issue ?

thx a lot

InfernalDarkness
01-24-2010, 07:47 PM
This is the nature of Vue. You are painting Ecos inside Max, correct?

I'm not sure how it is in Max, but in Maya painting ecos never worked properly either. It barely works properly in Vue standalone, even with a good GPU.

Given Max's capabilities, is there a reason you'd need Vue to make vegetation?

michaelaaut
01-24-2010, 08:36 PM
yeah.. there are actually just two reasons why I would like to use Vue inside max.

- the atmosphere
- the vegetation
- and the procedural materials

that's why I would like to use them inside max....
but so far I couldn't find any documentation about integrating vue inside max, expecially working with a linear work flow...

and it's really hard to get some nice results without any examples, documentation etc.

InfernalDarkness
01-24-2010, 08:55 PM
yeah.. there are actually just two reasons why I would like to use Vue inside max.

- the atmosphere
- the vegetation
- and the procedural materials

That would be three reasons, silly!

Well, we both know what Vue xStream is supposed to do. But I gave up on it about a year ago, and just do everything inside Maya now, and with better results, more control, and vastly more realistic rendering quality. Oh, not to mention that mental ray and Vray are almost infinitely faster to render with. I know you've been frustrated with xStream due to all your posts recently, so take a look through the galleries here (if you haven't) and take some inspiration from all the beautiful landscapes done with just Max.

You have the tool already; you could spend months trying to get xStream to do what you want, or just learn how to do it all with Max!

If you really like Vue's atmospherics, try Ozone. It's a great plug-in, and actually works pretty well. Vue's vegetation is very low-quality, out of the box. But of course inside Standalone it's easy to work with. There are tools for Maya and Max that do all this better though too, including instancing. Vue's procedurals are nice, though! That said, texture-mapping is an art form, and you can do procedurals inside Max just fine too.

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2010, 08:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.