PDA

View Full Version : Finding a program.

PlagueJester
01-23-2010, 05:25 PM
I was here a long while ago trying to get some help with 3DS Max. Even with the help I got, I didn't find the program user friendly enough for me. I've given up on it. However, someone (wish I could remember who) recommended another program. I was told it was more user friendly, and it was free (although it had multiple "expansions" that had extra things that cost money), but I can't remember what the program was. I also can't seem to come across anything with google.

Unfortunately, the post is no longer here at the forum.

If anyone thinks they might know which program I'm talking about, or remembers, please please let me know. Some ideas just can't be put down in two dimensions.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

mrreynolds
01-23-2010, 11:22 PM
I had the same problem as you have - I can't understand 3ds max, it's way not too intuitive for me.
My choice is Modo for now.

PlagueJester
01-24-2010, 01:54 AM
Note: It wasn't on this forum that that I posted it, I found it on another forum.

Is Modo any good? I just DLed something called Vue. Haven't even installed it yet, no idea how good it is.

mrreynolds
01-24-2010, 01:54 AM
Vue is more for landscapes. Check to google such things, anyway.

PlagueJester
01-24-2010, 02:16 AM
Nevermind, it turns out that Vue is a totally worthless program. It can't even handle the installation process. Can't be installed on Windows Vista.

So, to try Modo!

vlad
01-24-2010, 02:47 AM
Nevermind, it turns out that Vue is a totally worthless program. It can't even handle the installation process. Can't be installed on Windows Vista.

So, to try Modo!

How can you say it's worthless if you cant even install it? It's buggy all right but I wouldnt call it worthless. If you want to start learning modeling, you could try Silo. You cannot get more user friendly than that.

PlagueJester
01-24-2010, 02:49 AM
How can you say it's worthless if you cant even install it? It's buggy all right but I wouldnt call it worthless. If you want to start learning modeling, you could try Silo. You cannot get more user friendly than that.

Because any program that can't be installed can't be used.

If I can't get the hang of Modo (and I really REALLY hope I can) I'll go check out Silo. Thanks for the suggestion :D

Edit: LOL! So far Modo is a trip. I just opened it and I'm trying to get the hang of it, so I make a cube. Then I go to the part where I get to change the dimensions of it by typing them in, and I type in the first one and hit tab to move to the second one, and it turned my cube into a rugby ball! That was neat. Hopefully I'll be able to get the hang of it. Anyone know of a good tut site for Modo?

/Another/ Edit: I DID MY FIRST TUTORIAL! I used the youtube, and found a good tutorial! I could never do the ones with 3ds max because usually the people that make tutorials make them for people who already know what they're doing. Of course the guy that made the tutorial couldn't count to six, but he still made a damn fine tutorial! I'm so excited. I like this program :D

vlad
01-24-2010, 01:48 PM

That doesnt mean it's worthless, it only means you're having trouble installing it. I read a lot of comments about Vue crashing or being slow but people dont seem to have problems installing it...

Kanga
01-24-2010, 02:31 PM
PlagueJester
If you find a program that works for you and have questions please post them in the right forum.

Johny
01-24-2010, 02:37 PM
this makes 3ds max more user friendly imo :

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=63739

http://dev.3pointstudios.com/pub/per128_3dsmenu.png

and alot more stuff.

JWRodegher
01-24-2010, 03:13 PM

Well it seems to me that the worthless here is not the software. You failed at learning max and you can't even install Vue (which you don't even know what it's good for). So go figure...

PlagueJester
01-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Well it seems to me that the worthless here is not the software. You failed at learning max and you can't even install Vue (which you don't even know what it's good for). So go figure...

Listen kiddo, I don't play well with trolls, so I'll just go ahead and ignore you and save this forum a /lot/ of time. 'Kay?

And to Vlad, I found the same thing. When Vue had the problem, I went and looked it up and found no one else with installation problems. But Vue is the only program in the WORLD where you can't choose which directory it installs itself to, and it INSISTED on installing itself on a drive that I don't have. It'd be just plain silly for me to go buy another drive for the program.

PlagueJester
01-24-2010, 04:29 PM
this makes 3ds max more user friendly imo :

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=63739

and alot more stuff.

Hey, thanks. I'll mess around with this new program a little more (I'm liking it so far), and if I come across something that it can't handle, I'll hold onto your link and go add some more stuff to 3ds max.

Once again, thanks a ton mate :D

KristopherLee
01-24-2010, 04:53 PM
I'll second the notion to use Silo. I've been using it in all my freelance work for over a year now. You can also check out free tutorials for it on the site when you go to download it.

I've used Modo and I like it but it still has some quirks about it that I can't get around. If you're looking for a simple, solid modeler and nothing more, then Silo is great for that.

PlagueJester
01-24-2010, 04:55 PM
I'll second the notion to use Silo. I've been using it in all my freelance work for over a year now. You can also check out free tutorials for it on the site when you go to download it.

I've used Modo and I like it but it still has some quirks about it that I can't get around. If you're looking for a simple, solid modeler and nothing more, then Silo is great for that.

Two votes for Silo! Well, now I'll have to go get it, won't I? Lol. Alrighty. With two people that say it's great, I'll have to check it out. I'm having a lot of fun with Modo though :D It's so easy to use.

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2010, 04:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.