PDA

View Full Version : Windows Related Question

tempor_3d
08-28-2003, 03:42 AM
Simple but meaningful question...

Everytime I want to open the file - doesn't matter in Photoshop or Maya or in any other application - I would like to have the files listed in Open File dialog box to be sorted by date. How can I set Windows to do it by deafult?

gmask
08-28-2003, 03:48 AM
Good question..

DeathBrain
08-28-2003, 06:45 AM
In order to bring back the normal sort order, here is what you have to do: right click the Start button. Click on Explore, and in the Windows Explorer window that comes up, click on drive C:. On the View menu, click Details. Click the Name column in order to sort the items by name. Finally, hold down the Ctrl key as you quit Windows Explorer by clicking on the Close icon in the upper righthand corner of the screen. Now release the Ctrl key and restart your computer. When you next boot up, the correct sort order should have been restored in the Windows file/folder dialog boxes.

:)

tempor_3d
08-28-2003, 07:02 PM
I just did what you told. Opened windows explorer. Details -> Sort By Date. Ctrl + Click on close icon at the top right corner. Restarted the windows.
After restarting the Windows Explorer does remember the settings I set (Details + Sort By Date). But the File Open and File Save dialog boxes don't remember them. They still show the files sorted alphabetically and as short listing (not details)....

DeathBrain
08-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Humm...that's weird...always works here..:hmm:
You should open explore (right click) from Start button (bottom left), and make sure click on drive C: on the left panel, then click on the right area > right click > arrange icon by name > hold down the Ctrl key as you quit, then restart windows :)

If it still doesn't work, open explorer > tools > folder option > view tab then select restore defaults :)

MattClary
08-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Try clicking the "My Recent Documents" icon when you get the File Open dialog.

kex
08-28-2003, 09:11 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe this should be moved to the technical part of the site :shame:

ow well its windows cant get that complicated unless you get errors :rolleyes:

gmask
08-28-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by MattClary
Try clicking the "My Recent Documents" icon when you get the File Open dialog.

The Open Dialog in maya for example does not include that pallette to the left of the browser window. That does bring to mind another question I have had about that pallette which is wether or not you can easily add your own folders to it.

drifter51
08-29-2003, 06:47 PM
first open up window explorer and click the modified date header to sort the window by date.
Next goto the tools drop down menu and open up the folder options dialog box.
make the view tab active and click the "like current folder" button.
Click okay/apply/yes to any pop up dialog boxes.
Click okay to close the folder options dialog box.

Now all your files should be sorted by date when you use the open files dialog box.

gmask
08-29-2003, 06:52 PM
>>>make the view tab active and click the "like current folder" button.

Actually it say apply to all folders

>>Now all your files should be sorted by date when you use the open files dialog box.

Nope, doesn't work in open dialogs

drifter51
08-29-2003, 08:47 PM
gotta love how microsoft stays consistent between OS's.

win2k "like current folder"
XP "apply to all folders"

This works on mine. However there are exceptions, since this only works for applications that use the windows api to create their open file dialogs. For example photoshop and max show the files sorted by date. However combustion does not since it has a custom viewer for choosing files.

gmask
08-29-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by drifter51
gotta love how microsoft stays consistent between OS's.

win2k "like current folder"
XP "apply to all folders"

This works on mine. However there are exceptions, since this only works for applications that use the windows api to create their open file dialogs. For example photoshop and max show the files sorted by date. However combustion does not since it has a custom viewer for choosing files.

LOL.. well even internet explorer seems to ignore this function of windows.. but more importantly Maya ignores any estgablished windows protocols for open dialogs as far as I can tell.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.