PDA

View Full Version : 2D: Dragon - wip

Yrindale
08-28-2003, 03:26 AM
Hey all, seeing how this is my first post, let me please start out as telling you all it's an honor to be visiting a forum with such amazing artists such as yourselves. I haven't seen this much talent in one spot in a very long time.

Second of all, the image! I have here, an image of two dragons fighting in clouds and I'm not all that experienced in digital art. I'm used to working with pencil, and so I need an overal critique. I need to know what's working for your eyes, what's not working. Is anatomy off? Is a color too lavish? Etc.

For the record, this was accomplished with a wacom graphire 2 and Photoshop 7

http://www.artisticways.com/images/original/09.png

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I don't wanna stop working on this image until people are happy with it.

garethjax
08-28-2003, 12:19 PM
First allow me to say that appease the taste of every person watching the picture is very difficult. But at least trying to, is a good exercise!

Regarding the picture, i don't like very much the flame. There is like a "vortex" inside. It could be ok for Godzilla :D

If the dragon's flame is a matter of pure magic, then the vortex effect it's ok. If you want to give it an acceptable reason, the you should imply that it's generated by gaseous or liquid emissions.

The flame then should be very different, have a look at a real
flamethrower (http://www.watsonsweapons.com/gallery/images/flamethrower.jpg).

In this case, remember that the dragons are moving, so the flame jet should be arched toward the opposite direction of the blue dragon.

Regarding anatomy, the shoulders and the wings of the gold dragon are a bit strange. The shoulders are too big, and the wings look bat-like.
Unfortunately we don't have real dragons as models... :)

But you can imitate natural standards !
If you want to make wyvern-like wings, look for bat pictures.
Otherwise "john howe" ;)

Dragons by John howe (http://7parabian.com/dragon/howe.html)

I hope i haven't been too harsh. I like the picture, but i'm sure you can improve it! :thumbsup:

Yrindale
08-28-2003, 01:29 PM
I don't believe in the phrase "too harsh" with critiques...I like em truthful and strong...much like many people like their coffee ;)

As for appeasing people...I'm just shooting for a higher percentage right now hehehe

Thank you kindly, I appreciate your words and take them as very good wisdom. The flame I can play with, and I do agree on the flame thrower idea now that I think it through, and I may test that to see what I can whip up.

The gold Dragon does have funky shoulders and the muscle structure could be built up so I think I'll play with that portion as well.

And isn't John Howe a great artist? I love his work.

Again, thanks, I'll take those idea's into consideration when I hit this pic again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.