PDA

View Full Version : When will zbrush 4 launch?

ddg
01-23-2010, 12:21 AM
I know it has been due but does anyone know when zbrush will release their new version 4.0? I have seen some clips on how it works with a few other add on's and it really looks interesting. I was impressed and thought I would just hold out and wait until 4.0 comes out to buy. Any ideas guys? Have a great weekend all!

RichardMarklew
01-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Well first of all 3.5 for the mac still needs to be released.
The only people who do know when version 4 is to be released are pixologic and they haven't said. So any dates posted here are all pointless

Richard

TheRazorsEdge
01-30-2010, 11:52 AM
I was impressed and thought I would just hold out and wait until 4.0 comes out to buy.

Why that? As far as I know v4 will be a free update, so waiting is next to pointless unless you want to possibly pay more if they decide to raise the price.

Cheers!

GatorNic
01-31-2010, 07:48 AM
Why that? As far as I know v4 will be a free update, so waiting is next to pointless unless you want to possibly pay more if they decide to raise the price.

Cheers!

I doubt it. They can't just keep releasing free updates or they won't have money to function. Most 3D graphics make their money from the cost of updates not from new users. I feel like it is one reason they decided to go with the 3.5 release instead of straight to 4, so they can keep with the point releases being free and the full version updates costing for the upgrade.

Now given 3.5 was a big update and really should have just been v4, so who knows what they'll do. But if 4 is free, when is the next version going to come out probably in 2-3 more years? Seems to be their cycle. So that would mean they haven't charged users any updates since 3 came out. That'll be 5+ years and no money except from new users. Thats a long time.

TheRazorsEdge
01-31-2010, 08:40 AM
I would generally agree with your points, but in this case can only go with what Pixologic already has announced and to my knowledge they announced v4 would be free of charge for existing, registered users. ;)

Cheers!

runejw
01-31-2010, 10:35 AM
...and with respect to sound business - it depends on how many bought new licenses after they announced the free v4 upgrade. I think most of those licenses were bought based on that.

I know my purchase was based on that...
Economically not the worst thing for Pixologic to increase market share and having customers spending money on them rather on competitive products.

For existing customer of course their income will not generate new cash, but if the other factors make it possible, then they are in fact investing in loyalty and keeping customers happy - not bad that companies see that as a useful long-term strategy. The traditional way is just to spend huge amounts on advertising and give only minor benefits to existing customers.

hobo
01-31-2010, 11:04 AM
I doubt it. They can't just keep releasing free updates or they won't have money to function. Most 3D graphics make their money from the cost of updates not from new users. I feel like it is one reason they decided to go with the 3.5 release instead of straight to 4, so they can keep with the point releases being free and the full version updates costing for the upgrade.

Now given 3.5 was a big update and really should have just been v4, so who knows what they'll do. But if 4 is free, when is the next version going to come out probably in 2-3 more years? Seems to be their cycle. So that would mean they haven't charged users any updates since 3 came out. That'll be 5+ years and no money except from new users. Thats a long time.

I bought ZB at V2. Haven't had to pay a penny since, I figure that they are a small group putting out cutting edge stuff consistently. No complaints at all from me, I also think that they really do do their best.

ZBrush4 will be a free upgrade for all registered users of ZBrush on Windows and Mac systems.

from first post here,

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=71829

RichardMarklew
01-31-2010, 11:57 AM
When the announced 3.5 they said ZBrush 3.5 and ZBrush 4 will be released as free upgrades to all registered users.
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=073517
I wouldn't be surprised if they increase the price with version 4. The price has been unchanged for some time and this would be the ideal time to justify a price increase.

Richard

GatorNic
01-31-2010, 04:53 PM
Well I am definitely not complaining if that is the case. Hell, great for the users and of course kudos to them for putting out an amazing product! :bowdown: Just worries me since Pixologic isn't exactly a big company and there is definitely a saturation point at which there aren't as many new users buying licenses. I guess they haven't gotten to that point yet and are still rapidly expanding its user base throughout the world. So good for them, keep up the good work.

TheRazorsEdge
01-31-2010, 07:26 PM
I'd dare say that no modern pipeline these days can really be competitive without ZBrush. I have been using ZB since v2 as well and even though I did use MB for a time, I never really could afford not to use ZBrush's amazing capabilities. It is, after all, the market-leader in its field, regardless what some Mudbox- and 3DBrush-fanboys say.

Cheers!:beer:

Architectura
02-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Hopefully V4 brings a slightly better interface; I must say it scared me off for a bit :P Once you get used to it, however, it's not that bad.

astitchintime
02-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Can't be far away as you can preorder Eric Keller's revision of Introducing Zbrush and the description clear states "It introduces you to the latest version - ZBrush 4 " and it's due release (the book) August 2010.

Bottom description:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780470527641/Introducing-ZBrush?b=-3&t=-20#Fulldescription-20

:D

johnnyTalks
02-24-2010, 06:29 PM
I bought ZB at V2. Haven't had to pay a penny since, I figure that they are a small group putting out cutting edge stuff consistently. No complaints at all from me, I also think that they really do do their best.

from first post here,

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=71829

Does that mean if I buy and older version for cheaper I can upgrade to the newest for free or can you not transfer ownership like that?

hobo
02-24-2010, 07:51 PM
I think that you can transfer, but ask pixologic ...

pixolclay
02-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Its simple...if you already own a copy of ZBrush, or purchase one right now...ZBrush 4 will be a FREE upgrade.

RichardMarklew
02-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Can't be far away as you can preorder Eric Keller's revision of Introducing Zbrush and the description clear states "It introduces you to the latest version - ZBrush 4 " and it's due release (the book) August 2010.

Bottom description:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780470527641/Introducing-ZBrush?b=-3&t=-20#Fulldescription-20

:D
Never rely on when it says books are due for release. Book release dates get put back all the time, just like Pixologic release dates.

Richard

WyattHarris
03-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Normal business rules don't apply to Pixologic. They are working some serious Voodoo over there. :D

Free since 2.0 for me too. Gotta love it.

pixolclay
03-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Considering that Pixologic is made up of about 5-6 people, I'm content with their releases. They have huge plans and are always trying to make their product better, they don't release things just to release, or because another software released a new version...They release when they have new innovations that work that they can offer their customers.

RichardMarklew
03-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Considering that Pixologic is made up of about 5-6 people, I'm content with their releases. They have huge plans and are always trying to make their product better, they don't release things just to release, or because another software released a new version...They release when they have new innovations that work that they can offer their customers.
The problem with the pixologic releases is abysmal communication with their customers. Announce when a new version is to be released, no other updates until after the date passes and maybe the release will come in a years time.

Richard

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2010, 05:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.