PDA

View Full Version : Do 100% Blueprints Exist?

cl@rky
08-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Hey all,

I have tried several ways of setting up blueprints on seriously over 15 cars and i really cant seem to get anywhere.

I spent ages on Audi A3 blueprints (i read somewhere these were usually quite accurate) cropping them in photoshop. Cropping them exactly to the very edge of the pixel gave me this

front = 393 * 311
back = 393*311
side = 635*311
top = 635*379

14 pixels to me a few months ago meant nothing but now it seems like the distance from here to the nearest star! I have tried everything but its still really really far out when i come to modelling. I even tried to ajust the image size and obviously this distorted the image and i was close to tears.

I been trying to model a car for about 7 weeks now. I have never got any further than my 10th spline before thinking **** it!!! An tryin again with another blueprint.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to very accurate blueprints they have used in the past that i could try. I seem to get an error everytime i goto SMCARS for the last few days and thus this is why im posting.

cl@rky
08-27-2003, 11:48 PM
Im starting to think my head is ruined

SMCARS and now http://www.onnovanbraam.com/index.php?main=blueprints

am i cursed?

beaker
08-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Just scale it to fit the others. Maybe something got squished on accident when they were put together. No biggie.

cl@rky
08-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Thanks Beaker,

Yeah i tried that on the same blueprint i was talking about lastnight, it was ok in the middle and lined up perfectly but the more i got to the outside of the plane the more off it was.

Its like when i changed the image size its stretched like this

| | | | | ||||||||||| | | | | |

instead of this

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

probably the worst explaination i have ever seen but cant think of a better way.

Ta

icr82nz
08-29-2003, 10:28 PM
just out of curiosity are you viewing it in an orthographic view. it sounds like maybe that could be an issue.

Xilica
08-30-2003, 09:09 PM
i see your point dude, but to me bluepritns are there just to give you the general feel of the car :beer:

Zero_Gunner
09-01-2003, 01:19 PM
I dont know if this is your problem, but this is how i set up blueprints. Asuming you use 3dmax.

1.Create a plane.
2.Add UVW Map.
3.Press M, add your side front or left map to a material slot and apply to the plane.
4.Go into the uvmap rollout and choose bitmap fit, pick the same image that is used in the material on the plane.
5.If its too big re-size the plane, or go into the uvw + option, and use the gizmo to move your map around.

Do this for all your maps and align them till they are right.

Onno
09-03-2003, 09:10 PM
My suggestion: don't mind it too much when seeing that your blueprints don't match up, don't get obsessed with it. They're 99/100 not perfect... don't rely on them either, use them as a general outline.
I only worked with blueprints the first hour (out of about 50 hours) on my latest model (Porsche 993 GT2), the rest was all done from a scale model + reference photo's.

Photo's are a better reference since they are always 100% perfect and represent the model the way it is.

No doubt you have read it already, but maybe this helps:
http://www.onnovanbraam.com/index.php?m=tutorials&g=blueprintsetup

cl@rky
09-07-2003, 01:28 AM
Hey all!

Sorry i aint been on line much the past week but thanks for your answers, i found Astra V8 ones that are pretty accurate!

I see what you mean about pictures, You cant really get the feel of the shape totally from blueprints huh?

Onno your a legend! Love your cars! I think it was your site that made me pick up my uni max5 an start learning it! So thanks!

cl@rky
09-08-2003, 12:59 PM
i have another quick fairly basic question i think,

Is there a special word for Front, Back, Side and Top pictures? I mean, i have been trying to model a different kind of astra from Simon Reeves but i need clearer views dead centre exactly from the front. Is there special words for these views?

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.