PDA

View Full Version : rendering reflections without reflectivity

acc9340
01-22-2010, 02:29 AM
At work I need to render some brushed metal textures. We are rendering in Mental Ray but the project's specs are such that we render with very scant raytracing. Reflections are set to 0. Is there a way I can pre-bake reflections and then maybe apply them through the color or specularity channels?

Any help would be appreciated.

AC

Redsand1080
01-22-2010, 02:36 AM
That's a crazy title for a post. But yes actually you can do just that...assuming you aren't messing with physically accurate shaders. But for standard blinn, phong, etc. it's very common practice to just simply map a render of your env. to your reflection color. You get the env. in reflections without shooting one ray. If you're doing some 360 camera move you might need to do a render with a fish eye lens shader, or stitch together succesive renders in PS to get the full 360 degree reflections. But if the amount of your scene you actually see in camera is limited...no point in reflecting any more in your objects than absolutely neccesary.

Come to think of it...MR has some env. nodes that would help with the 360 reflections. mib_lookup_spherical, mia_env_blur, etc. Might be better for 360 reflections. Plug that into env. slot of camera. I think that works without shooting rays. Could be wrong...not 100% sure about this one.

Hope that helps!

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2010, 02:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.