PDA

View Full Version : blend shape newbie...

stelovcgi
08-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Hi,
I'm just making my first set of blendshapes following (struggling) along with Jae-Jin Choi's "MAYA Character Animation".

I'm doing phonemes from duplicates of my characters' head but should I start with a duplicate that includes all the bound skeleton for the jaw and the painted skin weights for the jaw movement?

Say I'm doing the phoneme for the sound 'O', when the jaw is half open. If I duplicate a bound, weighted head and then open the jaw to do a blend shape all the binding info seems to be lost. If I model a blend shape for 'O' from a head before binding and weighting (hence a closed jaw) when I paint skin weights on the final bound head, it opens double wide. Do you have to paint separate weights for all your blendshapes?

All his phonemes on the cover-disk example seem to work perfectly whatever position the jaw is rotated to and all blend well with eachother. Do I bind skin and paint weights before making blend shapes or after?

I can work out ways round it...I just want to make sure I'm doing things in a sensible order. I'm very new at this so REALLY simple explanations welcome. Does anyone know a good tutorial?
Thanks...

SpaceFork
08-28-2003, 02:21 AM
I know you have to set the evaluation order up properly in order for the the deformations to stack correctly. For example...I think you'd want the skeleton to evaluate first, and then the blandshapes...but I'm really not sure. I don't work with blendshapes at all, so I really can't help you find the answers you need, but hopefully this post will point you in a direction that will help you out.

nottoshabi
08-28-2003, 02:26 AM
Blend shapes can be a little tricky. What I recomend is have the head seperate from the body, duplicate all your aditional blends from one head, do all the necessary heads, then create the blend shapes. And then bind the original head to the skeleton and do all your weights to that head and the rest should follow.

P. S. When you duplicate your head make sure si not skinned, and delete history, and center pivot and freze transformations on all axeses(trans, rot, scale), after you duplicated your head dont do anything to the duplicates besides manupulating cv's.

Hope thata helps and good luck.

:wavey:

Haggis82
10-03-2003, 02:59 AM
No matter, figured out the answer to my question

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.