PDA

View Full Version : B-Movie Entry: Krishnamurti M. Costa

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Antropus
03-20-2010, 04:25 PM
thejeff,
thank you so much for your constant words of encouragement and congrats on your entry my friend!

Noodlz, Korendo,
now you have it! Thanks :)

AdrianLazar,
Modo choked bad to render the final image. It's a very complex image, with all kinds of things, fur on three characters... I really had to squeezed all juice from my machine and Modo and still, for lack of more time to render, I ended by having to reduce the resolution of the foreground layer from 3000 to 2500, which is not bad, but the hair suffered with resolution. It was rendered at 1500x1500 pixels and then scaled up, which is never a great thing.

aimanimation,
he's not wearing a shirt. It's really pinned to his rubber skin :)

gjpetch and Gio,
that's very true, but those challenges are about how organized you are and when I felt that I would not be able to render the final piece I was mad at myself for not planning well enough. I'm glad it's out now but there are so many little things I need to fix, including re-render the foreground layer in better res...
Thanks guys!

AlphaDDC07,
thanks!

Pteropus,
I did it. Thanks man!

ChewyPixels,
thanks! All over and out :)

webhead,
text was changed. I hope it looks better now.

TyroneMaddams (x2)
thank you so much for your constant support in my thread man :beer:

Vimmy,
you were the one kicking butt on this challenge man. Outstanding work you did and pushed me to try other things on my entry too. Congrats buds!

BrettSinclair,
done! Thanks my friend!

untaken-usrname2000,
thank you! It's all over now... awwww... :D

Cyborgguineapig,
you're absolutely right. I did it! Sweeeeet :)

Irawan (x2)
thank you so much!!!

ChristopheFauconneau,
thanks! I always think that the wip images are more interesting than the final images on those challenges. That's why its such a shame when people decide not to post a lot during the process.

walrus,
thanks a lot man and thanks for being so helpful with everybody, offering your knowledge to help others to improve their work. You're great sir!

jonathanclark,
thank you so much man! About soccer, I use to play indoors soccer a lot when I was younger. I have to go back and play again. It's really fun and really fast too. I'm not a big "regular" sports fan. I'm a big fan of MMA and X-Games though!

artvandeley,
thank you so much! Means a lot coming from a master like yourself :buttrock:

BaronImpossible,
thank you so much! I love your work and how you captured Frazetta's cavemen feel. You rock!

-Kris

Intervain
03-20-2010, 04:29 PM
congrats Kris - looking great :) It's been fun to follow :buttrock:

iatriki
03-20-2010, 04:44 PM
The final image is really nice. You nailed the Bmovie style

Korendo
03-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Your fantastic image has the Earthlings fooled. The invasion will commence on earth date 15 April 2010. Prepare the 3D transducer!

Thanks,
Minster Yiipotoop

PS can you get me the phone number for the red head?

Vimmy
03-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Thank Kris, I,m glad to hear that, but i'm pretty sure you have kick more my ass, than i kick yours. It was really great to take part of this journey with your on board, it was a honor for me. I learn a lot during the last weeks ( specialy for time management Hehe), but also in general and it a part cause of you, Thank for constant inspiration Kris. Your the man:scream: Really! Sincerely hope to do futur challenge with you again.

humanly
-sam

AdanVC
03-20-2010, 06:58 PM
What can i say, i waited for this day all this month!, just to see your final entry, and it's here... and it's FANTASTIC! i love absolutely everything! was an honor really to see how a professional makes a wonderful piece of arte since it's concept and then modeling, and so far!. im feel so happy and inspired right now! this is full motivation! thank you thank you.

gedomenas
03-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Congratulations, was honored to participate with you.
Thank you for the support.

Ferx
03-21-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm without words :D That image is simply great. The design of the tax man from the space is brilliant. Love the purple atmosphere, puts a really cool touch to the concept.

Congratulations for this amazing artwork. Was a great journey to see the evolution of this concept :) All the best. Cheers!! (with tequila and caipirihnas :D) :beer:

Freelah
03-21-2010, 01:09 AM
Hey bro! Very and very impresive. The story is well told in the poster. By the way, that movie is much like a hilarious version of a space opera. Formidable! Your modeling really rocks! Excellent! :bounce:

AlphaDDC07
03-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Hi there Great work on your piece, It shows that you put a lot of work in this 10/10 from me.

Goodluck (not that you need it)

NinjaA55N
03-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi there! I'd like to thank u for stopping by my thread and for all the input during the challenge. I'm also so glad that u managed to finish ur piece, which is simply one of the best around here! It was a real pleasure working by ur side and I hope to see u in the next challenge as well! Good luck with the judging :)

Paperboy
03-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Awesome models for sure!!! :eek: Good luck with the comp! :thumbsup:

Quadart
03-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Glad to see you made in at the nick of time. :thumbsup:
The main models are fantastic! The alien is classic ĎBí material!
This image reminds me that April 15th is right around the corner. :sad:
Fortunately my accountant isnít a Bonobo! :)

lordbiernac
03-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Impressive work :)

collings
03-21-2010, 04:36 PM
congratulation Kris, you've done it magnificently once again :arteest: every model looks gorgeous and the final composition is working really well, i was a bit worry if all the element would mix well together in the final comp but they are ^^ :thumbsup:

Antropus
03-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Intervain,
thanks Mag!

iatriki,
thank you sir.

Korendo,
man I could, but the Bonobo would kill you! He gets so jealous sometimes!

Vimmy,
thanks a lot man! Means a lot to me.

AdanVC,
that's great to hear man! Now go and produce some kickass stuff! I'm so drained I cannot think about doing any 3D work for a while! Oh wait... I do this for a living... nevermind...

imperioli,
my pleasure!

Ferx,
oh yeah! Caipirinhas would be goooood now!

Freelah,
thanks a lot bro!

AlphaDDC07,
oh yeah, I'll need it! Lots of AMAZING artwork was produced in this challenge. But thanks a lot!

NinjaA55N,
my pleasure and thanks a lot for stopping by!

Paperboy,
thanks!!!

Quadart,
hahahaha! Sometimes I wish the accountants were bonobos! I mean, for three years in a row, different accountants miscalculated and I ended having to pay more at the end. Since then, Turbotax is being my lord and savior and nothing bad happened for the last 2 years so I'll stick with it!

lordbiernac,
thanks!

collings,
many thanks man. I was worried at the end too and even more because I was running out of time and still managed to take a HUGE risk by changing the orientation again, color scheme, fonts and overall comp really last minute. I'm glad that it look good even after two nights of sleep because normally I hate everything I do next morning! I mean, it could look way better if I had the time but at that point I was just happy to upload it and be free to love again, hahahaha! My girlfriend is so happy right now you have no idea :)

-Kris

Antropus
03-21-2010, 09:38 PM
So, even if I do like the final result somehow, I could not pass the opportunity to show more details of it that are not seeing at this resolution. So, I saved a bunch of detail images, some modeling detail on the baby bonobo, comp elements and two turntables showing the main couple in all angles. I didn't put a lot of effort on the back side of them but tried to at least make them look presentable:

http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres1.jpg
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres2.jpg
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres3.jpg
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres4.jpg
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres5.jpg
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres6.jpg
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres7.jpg
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres8.jpg
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres9.jpg
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres10.jpg

Cheers,
-Kris

Antropus
03-21-2010, 09:38 PM
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres11.jpg
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres12.jpg
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres13.jpg
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/highres14.jpg

Turntables:

http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/turntable1.mov
http://www.antropus.com/temp/bmovie/turntable2.mov

Cheers,
-Kris

Irawan
03-21-2010, 10:07 PM
amazing details on the model,the girl anatomy really perfect, bonobo + baby just amazing:buttrock:,
if i see your work i really want to start to learn 3d program.
cu.heri

mdavid
03-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Wow! More than 500 comments and more than 50,000 page views! But it is so easy to see why. This is truly amazing work. It has been a real treat watching it come together. I love those high-resolution shots to show the details too. Thanks for posting those. I especially love that smiling shot on the identification card. That is brilliant, and very funny!

Congratulations and good luck

PELENG
03-22-2010, 07:11 AM
Yeah! Exellent work! Yor characters are so alive, great! :thumbsup: It was a great process to watch from the modeling to the final composition. Congratulations and good luck with judging!

Pteropus
03-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Simply brilliant final image Kris well done it was great to watch!.

AzzAnt
03-23-2010, 08:50 AM
just incredible! models are top-notch, but still has that oldschool B-grade look to it

Eskarina
03-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Just AWESOME Kris =D Congrats & good luck!

Antropus
03-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Irawan,
thanks a lot for your kind words! 3D can be fun. You should try! Start with some ZBrush or Mudbox and go from there :)

mdavid,
thanks! I like spreading little easter eggs on my work but unfortunately I didn't have the time to do more. But The smile on the badge was fun to do :)

PELENG,
means a lot coming from you sir. You're a master! Thanks!

Pteropus,
thank you!

littleac,
that's great to hear! I didn't want to lose the cheese factor if I did too much but seems like it's still cheesy enough at the end :D

Eskarina,
thank you Melanie! You too!!!

-Kris

steven6
03-23-2010, 10:58 PM
This turned out well, VERY B movie-even old school sci fi. Good models. I especially like the Modkey, grils expression and eyeball head guy. Good luck.
Cheers

jramauri
03-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah, we conclude you certainly are not from this world Kris. The final result is terrific, extremely terrific. Congrats, my friend. I believe your win will be ridiculous easy.

SergioSantos
03-24-2010, 01:40 PM
You got an amazing result as always.
Congrats!

FranciscoAlvarezDelgado
03-24-2010, 02:20 PM
amazing final render man.. Crazy Image. Like I said before congratulations one of my favorites for sure

AJ
03-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Your entire thread is stuffed with so much goodness, it should be stickied forever.

I can't get over how amazing the girl's face is. When you first posted your WIP of her expression I nearly fell off my chair.

Hats off for getting the image done on time. There are a few bits, such as the overlapping colour regions, the look a little rushed (and I'm sure you were!) but to be honest, it really just adds to the overall 'b-movie' look.

Good luck!

handlebar
03-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Great final image, it really does have a great b-movie feel to it. Following your thread has been a joy and inspireing.

ChristopheFauconneau
03-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Hey Kris,
You already know it, i already told you, i do it again : your wip and final image are gorgeous !
Your workflow is really cool and would deserve to be plugged. Why isn't it ?
I know dude how hard it is to be recognized when we do 3D ! Some dudes only care about 2D...

Atwooki
03-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Fabulous entry, Kris!!

As usual, truly top quality work and great thread ;) Love the little details and expressions you manage to get into your meticulous pieces - great to see this from you :) :)

Chris

Antropus
03-27-2010, 06:45 PM
steven6,
thanks a lot!

jramauri,
not sure about that but thanks a lot for your constant support man! This was a tough one and I would hate to be one of the judges right now, because there are some amazing artwork produced for this challenge. Really tough to call...

SergioSantos,
thanks!

FranciscoAlvarezDelgado,
thank you so much. Your image turned out great!

AJ,
thanks a lot for your constant input and support! A shame you didn't finish yours because it had so much potential :(

handlebar,
I'm glad you like it. Thank you so much.

ChristopheFauconneau,
you're right man but guys like Vimmy will help us to change this impression that 3D is less important. There's the technique side but the creativity is what drives artists and when you put together technique and ideas, then you got a powerful combo! It's so much work and knowledge of different disciplines needed to finish a 3D artwork like the ones in this challenge for example. Hard not to be impressed, at least with amount of man hours needed to finish them ;)

Atwooki,
thanks a lot Chris! Long time don't see you around. Oh! Wait, I'm the one who vanished :D

-Kris

E-MAX
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
WooooW..JUST Wooooooow..it's amazing.Wish you good luck.

Poncell
03-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Congratulations Antropus!
The final image was awesome!
But a work of great master.
I am very happy to enjoy more of your work.
Thanks for all your contribution to the world of CG.

johnstrieder
03-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Great Sculptings! :scream:

Heber
03-30-2010, 08:35 PM
amazing! very inspirational thanks for sharing kris :cool:

alapanttiK
03-31-2010, 03:22 PM
Wow this turned out so good. So many clever little B-movie additions.

drummer
03-31-2010, 03:25 PM
very cool work man! good luck with the challenge :thumbsup:

ilusiondigital
03-31-2010, 05:40 PM
exquisite and with 'good taste' as usual....

all the best

victor

Bri_Spencer
03-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Truly inspiring work man! I've been following your work for some time now, but I think you have outdone yourself with this one. Great job!

gregmcquay
04-05-2010, 11:12 AM
It turned out Fantastic!

drako3d
04-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Wow man excellent work , very good synthesis.A big bravo.....

IT CAME FROM NOWHERE......
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=861334

shocksplash
04-08-2010, 03:16 AM
hey! it's been one hour i'm reading this thread since i haven't kept track of your work during the contest cause i'm not really a forum guy ...but your work is really FREAKIN awesome and i find it very nice that you post you're WIP. for a newbie in 3d it is awesome to see that!

i tried to understand something from your workflow but didnt find it in the thread, so i'll ask it and hope it wasn't answered and i just haven't read it!

i don't understand exactly what was rendered in zbrush and what was rendered in maya? what i think i understood was that you polypainted your wip in zbrush, but what happened with the polypaint? did it become a texture? that means you had to do the UV BEFORE polypainting right? and when rendering in maya, was the polycount high? cause the picture I THINK were rendered in maya seemed REALLY high in poly... or maybe was it all in the normal maps?

and what about the lowpoly version, when in the process of modeling/texturing did you finalize the lowpoly?

i have the impression you did some renders in zbrush that had different elements using different shaders, am i right? did you find it useful for the final results or it was used only for the WIPs?

and one last thing while im at it... in the thread i read about software used for rendering (modo and others i think). are these software used to rendered scenes that are to high in polys? i only know how to use mentalray in 3ds max and i feel im limited since my comp has difficulty rendering scene over 1.5 million polys... how bis in polys your final scene was for exemple?

sorry i know these are a lot a questions, but you since like someone how would ACTUALLY answer the question he is asked and i hope someday of becoming an amazing 3d artist too, so my curiousity might be annoying :P

thanks for you time anyway!

Marat-Ars
04-08-2010, 01:38 PM
This thread just - mindblowing! Master work! :)

Wualforvalle
04-13-2010, 06:26 PM
congratulations really, its awesome, and i love purple :O one of my favorite colors.

Antropus
04-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Thank you so much for your kind words guys!
Sorry I'm not visiting it more frequently to answer some questions. Life got really busy lately o_O

shocksplash,
Thanks. I'll try to address your questions:

All renders starting on page 3 or so were done in Modo. There are ZBrush screencaps in the mix but talking about render, it's Modo.
The models were not super dense but were not lowpoly either. I exported mid-res meshes (around 60k each model) and applied normal maps generated in ZBrush. They look highres for this reason but they are really not dense.
About polypaint, since the highres meshes were around 4 million polys each character, I could get a fair amount of details on the polypaint. The way I work is a little bit like this:

1) Import some old basemesh
2) sculpt it in ZBrush without paying to much attention to topology
3) retopo the model in Maya using the live function or even inside of ZBrush
4) UV the mesh in Maya (now you can use the UV master and do it without leaving ZBrush)
5) bring the new model to ZBrush and finish all the sculpting, posing and polypaiting
6) export a midres version of the model back to Modo
7) generate a normal map, a displacement map and color maps (cavity, color, specular etc) from ZBrush to be used in Modo

So, yeah, the meshes need to be UVd before you export the maps, so you can just bake all the color information from the polypaint to a color map (don't forget to flip the map vertically...)

About the ZBrush screencaps showing the models with different materials, think about that as a previz of the final renders. It's really just to have an idea.

About rendering highres models, like I said I tried to be economic and use midres models, not highres but even though, at the end with everything combined, my scene was certainly over a million polys. Modo still rendered it but it got trouble when I had all characters with fur in the same scene. My machine has only 8gb of ram and I think it's time for me to update it to something with at least 12gb, running under x64 of course.

Cheers,
-Kris

Peter-Eriksson
04-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Good luck! Very inspiring work!
Would be surprised if you don't win something :-)

shocksplash
04-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply! 3d arts is a really time consuming domain and I find it quite rare, for that reason, to have this much information from a pro.

You answered all my questions yes! What I really needed to know is if everything rendered outside of Zbrush was retopoed or if there some magical technique I didn't know.

Can I ask you how much of Modo is indispensable to your work? I don't know any other render than Mentalray or 3dsmax's default scanline render and I'm wondering if I'm missing on something?

Anyway I'll make sure to check your new stuff, it is really inspiring!

gpepper
04-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Mr Costa's festival !

The sound of a new computer at home...

Mayuresh-Salunke
04-16-2010, 05:13 AM
Great work there Krishnamurti.I like your modo renders a lot.

Best,
Mayuresh

dodgeOrBURN
04-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Absolutely awsome from start to finish! Thank you so much for showing all your WIPs- it is really inspirational. Best of luck for the challenge!

Antropus
05-02-2010, 09:01 PM
coolkonrad,
thanks man! (but I would not hold my breath, seriously...)

shocksplash,
No, no magic :)
About Modo, this is actually the only time I ever used it on my work and I think it has a TON of potential. Not perfect but I really like it!

gpepper,
don't think so, but thanks!

Mayuresh-Salunke.
thanks!

dodgeOrBURN,
thank you so much!

-Kris

Jinian
05-04-2010, 08:03 AM
Looking really good Kris... hopefully you still have a non krappatized version(hehe..) seeing how you took the whole render and made it look like a b-movie poster from the past... and then upload and show that to us too.

carlossilvapb
05-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Fantastic, as usual!

I want a 6D tv! :D

Spin99
06-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi Kris

Quite a nice surprise to browse old CGTalk and find out a new challenge just ended.
Amazingly there's a Kris entry and guess who wins again? deservedly of course.
So congrats as always I really loved this one -- more mature than ever imho must be your ILM work?

So super pinup, bonobos and arrghh -- Taxman..
I have one question hope I'm still in time to get a reply.
It's about your mesh posing techniques.

You seem to break up your meshes before posing.
This makes a lot of sense and I think I've seen it done professionally before.

Just wanted to ask if you rig your open meshes? If you use ZBrush for posing them?
Specially in a time limited competition like this one. What about after you're happy with the pose?

Do you merge everything back together and brush over it?
What about the UV's do you not have problems with them at this stage?
Is there a workflow for this that you could share a little maybe?

I'd love to learn a bit more on posing since it's probably where I battled before.
Otherwise really amazing and a pleasure to follow your thread as always.

This side going crazy organizing an art exhibition here in Africa and looking forward
to getting back into Cg sometime. Awesomeness.

gedomenas
06-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Congratulations :beer:

Antropus
06-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Kong-in-Chains,
I know the feeling man! I wish I could stick with a better version of it instead of trying to 'krappatize' it for the B-movie sake :)
I might re-render some of the elements in a better way but I just got tired of the image as a whole. I still like the characters though...
Thanks!

carlossilvapb,
thanks man :)

Spin99,
thanks!
The broken up meshes are for reference only. They are a proxy version of the original meshes, at low res and they are not really rigged, but the parts are rather parented to each other so I can pose it roughly. Once I'm ok with the rough pose, I export all broken parts as a single mesh, append it to my subtool in ZBrush and use Transpose Master to match the pose. After that, I then fix the problems, mostly weird joint deformations, by resculpiting those areas in Zbrush.

About the UVs, they were done even before I chopped the base mesh to create the proxy. So, even cut, the final res mesh and the low res proxy share the same UV space and texture, already started by then.

-Kris

Nickillus
06-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Brilliant stuff from you again Kris - and such a deserving prize winner. Many congratulations.

Spin99
06-21-2010, 09:47 PM
@ Antropus

Thanks Kris! I would have never guessed btw :)
Sounds like a great idea to parent mesh objects to each other for posing.
Have to try it in SoftImage sometime.

So maybe I can pose a broken low-res mesh use Gator to transfer to the mapped mesh
and then go about sculpting. Still have to get hold of that copy of ZBrush though.
Maybe I'll join again on a competition here sometime I miss polys and brushes bad by now :buttrock:

dodgeOrBURN
07-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Congratulations Kris! :bounce:

This is such a brilliant, deserving entry!

CGTalk Moderation
07-01-2010, 05:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.