PDA

View Full Version : ENCHANTED FOREST_BG__KOryH

KOryH
05-20-2002, 05:02 PM
OK, here ya go!
Now, I'm not going to be so bold as to say I can do Enchanted Forests in my sleep, but I did do this in 30 minutes with out coffee and early on a Monday morning. I am sure this will change quite a bit as the month goes on. Right now it is kind of cliché, and I have no idea what that thing in the middle is. I am planning on adding a figure, any suggestions welcome. I am still looking for a hook or twist.
Anyway, it feels good just to have started.

http://korysdiner.homestead.com/files/FORUM/KH_FOREST_1.jpg

leigh
05-20-2002, 05:10 PM
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I got this one Thoth!

Oooooh Kory, that looks very cool :thumbsup:
I'm really looking forward to seeing what you are going to do with this one - I was very disappointed that you did not enter the challenge last month, as your work is usually so awesome :sad:

Thoth
05-20-2002, 05:12 PM
Looks great, you could put a rock and a some kinda ancient artifact on it at the middle, but that would be even more cliché like :) And maybe something....like rocks (just a example) to the hill at the left side of the image. Don't know what you're going to do with the bourn or how you're going to do it, will it look like it's flowing very rapidly ...don't know, that might become to a challenge and what's better than that :)

Great start ;)

Damn you Leigh! :bounce:

alaklij
05-20-2002, 05:16 PM
I like the contrast of a sharp monolith or columnar form among organic flowing form and line. It might be worth building a structure within the forest, or the remnants of a structure now long dead by some mysterious reason. You may want to reconsider the stark phallic in the middle of your scene, but I'm sure your aware of this. The ambiance and glow of resonanting power can be seen from your image, Good luck!

Faeroon
05-20-2002, 05:34 PM
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME :drool: :drool:
Geez... I just love your sketch!
What did you use for painting this? Ink? pencils?
It looks beautifull - you can feel the intense power of this
place... its just wow! :buttrock: :buttrock:

I wish you good luck with this one
:airguitar :drool: :drool:

PS: I've been reading this boards for so long, i HAD to
post this time.. and actually, I'm working on a tree scene
right now... but I dont think I should post this one here...
embarassing newbie-work :blush:

hypercube
05-20-2002, 06:39 PM
Damn! That rules! Really want to see how this fleshes out, in your inimitable style..

levin
05-20-2002, 07:01 PM
nice style! :thumbsup:

dreamy .curves. dizzying. cursed. mood. noir. fog

setting reminds me of that animated short, ghost.

nightmare before christmas

dracula

hansel and gretel

OZ
05-20-2002, 08:19 PM
SUGGESTIONS? RETIRE FROM THE CHALLENGE NOW!:eek: Ur start looks like a finished worK!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRG!!!!u are too GREAT!HEY GUYS I LOVE THIS MAN!:thumbsup: Is so clear............u roK!:applause:

KOryH
05-20-2002, 08:36 PM
Thanks folks!
Here is an update, I did this on my lunch.
I think this is working a little better. I am planning on hiding creatures and figures through out the picture. I think this will be fun.
Next, I need to start thinking about color. I will keep it simple, but more than this.
Thanks again.

http://korysdiner.homestead.com/files/FORUM/KH_FOREST_2.jpg

OZ
05-20-2002, 08:42 PM
WO!:eek: WO! :eek: :eek: WOOOOO!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: .....................no words!

hypronost
05-20-2002, 08:46 PM
Damn I wish I had your skills !!
great work !!:buttrock: :buttrock:

Faeroon
05-20-2002, 08:50 PM
YOU ROOOOOCK!!!!:xtreme::xtreme::xtreme::xtreme:
AWESOME!!!! TEACH ME MASTER - TEACH ME!! :airguitar

Again: can u plz tell me what you use for painting those pictures?
Plzzz....:blush:

Mikkel Jans
05-20-2002, 08:57 PM
That just ROCKS!
It's Perfect! I Love the Style.

visualboo
05-20-2002, 08:57 PM
Damn you koryh, this is very similar to what I had in my head. Nice job bud...

Are you gonna go 3d or stay in the second dimension?

psumo
05-20-2002, 08:58 PM
wonderful lighting

you work so fast
will you be doing this in 3d?
or matte painting style?

KOryH
05-20-2002, 09:00 PM
Thanks again people.
I will be staying 2D. I guess I could do it in 3D, but i would need a couple of years in stead of one month!

Psumo: Thanks, That is a real compliment from some one who does what you do.
How's the job going? I am still waiting for a position in the art dept to open up. Unless you what to put in a good word for me for that TD position. hint hint.

Faeroon: Thanks and I use Photoshop.
All digital, all the time.
Most of the time for work I do real pencil sketches first. But for this stuff I just jump right in. that's why is changed so much.

I will try to get more done soon!

visualboo
05-20-2002, 09:09 PM
I think psumo and I were typing at the same time. :)

I guess if I had looked at the top to see what crappin thread I was in I wouldn't have asked that question. Gonna be 3D :D

anywho... get crackin :D I want to see more

Faeroon
05-20-2002, 09:29 PM
@KORyh:

THX :applause:
I've pondered over this thing all the day and
now I think i'll get my crapy graphic tablet and give it
a try...

And I have to say it again:

AWEEEEEEEEEESOME WORK!!!:drool:
JUUUUST PERFECT!! :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Tottebias
05-21-2002, 12:40 AM
Amazing..And you did this in what, a couple of hours?

hypercube
05-21-2002, 06:37 AM
:eek: Holy @#$% ! Very very cool. Lots of little touches even now..that's the sort of thing that never ceases to amaze me, how 'all there' it is when people of your calibre do 'roughs'.

Can't wait to see more..light lunches :D

Thoth
05-21-2002, 09:00 AM
I really like what you came up with the central and the ruined stump at the left is just marvelous ;) The hanging beard lichen covering the snags gives a nive primeval forest feeling to it. Can't wait to see what this evolves into.

hypronost
05-21-2002, 11:37 AM
show us more !! show us more !!show us more !!show us more !!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Oxy
05-21-2002, 04:01 PM
Freeky... But nice...

KOryH
05-21-2002, 08:55 PM
OK here is my lunch time update for today. I started adding some subtle color and a few of the figures I am planning to have in the final picture.
Oxy, Freeky huh? well, I guess that is cool.

well here ya go...
http://korysdiner.homestead.com/files/FORUM/KH_FOREST_3.jpg

Sangotten
05-21-2002, 10:11 PM
Dude!!!!:buttrock:

Those are some really amazing picture's you made!! I'd almost say that were finished, well I cause I'm finished, I can't beat this.............:annoyed:

Anyway, keep it coming!!!:thumbsup:

Koma
05-21-2002, 11:55 PM
so great ,man your works are awasome and you work fast:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bowdown:

ashecorbin
05-22-2002, 12:35 AM
Nice job, man, looks good.

I especially like what I believe are creatures peering at us from the far right side from behind a tree, and from within the tree trunk just left of the... altar-thingie.

lookin good - oddly enough, in the original image you posted, I thought the object in the middle was a cloaked figure!

best of luck to you

-Mike
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~mcl23

Cgkoko
05-22-2002, 08:46 AM
:thumbsup: He he....this is sweet KOryH! I'm a big fan of your work.Well the subject of that contest does not help much to show your great style but it's a good pic...bravo!

P.S:i would love to see a soviet like hyperealistic statue drawn or modeled by you....:drool: :p ...he he...your style reminds me of all those propart stuf!

cu:p

KOryH
05-22-2002, 11:29 PM
Sorry guys,
No update today. I had to go get a hair cut. You know for the LADIES. well, lady in my case.
BTW on a personal note. My wife is due in about 2 weeks. So, if there are any of the praying or good wishes kind of people out there, remember her and the baby when you think happy thoughts.
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions and I will see you tomorrow!

Oh and PS there is also a giant behind the furthest away trees.
pretty sneeky huh?

ashecorbin
05-23-2002, 03:01 AM

Kirt
05-23-2002, 03:11 AM
I thought I saw something different in the background. I like the troll looking guy to the right as well.

Hey KOryH, I gotta ask ... what size are you working with on your original piece? Just curious to find out a little bit more info on how you work. I took a peek at your website and you have a terrific sense of lighting and composition. I'm in awe of your work. You even make a simple lamp look truely magical!

:thumbsup:

NANONEEN
05-23-2002, 02:42 PM
KOryH, go on!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Equinoxx
05-23-2002, 03:17 PM
happy thoughts to you, you're wife and the yet to be born one Koryh, best of wishes . . .

excellent peice too . . . i love it man . . .tho the giant lacks some sneaky attention you know, that when you're NOT lookin at it, sommin draws slight attention but when looking, the draw is gone :surprised

KOryH
05-23-2002, 04:19 PM
Thanks everybody,
Here is an early morning update. Just some more subtle color changes and working out the detail. Everyone is at E3 so I got to work on this a bit. But now it's on to the work they pay me for.
As for the figures, I want them not to stand out too much. I liked the idea of them hiding from the viewer. The images that I am posting are about 50% of the work size. So about 1500 pixels across. I try not to work in too many layers 1-3 most of the time. It keeps thing fast. Here at work sometimes I go larger than that for the maximum amount of detail and for printing.
Thanks for all your support!

http://korysdiner.homestead.com/files/FORUM/KH_FOREST_4.jpg

hypercube
05-23-2002, 07:03 PM
Wow, hopefully they'll stay sidetracked at E3 the rest of the week :)

Seems to get deeper and deeper each rev..really like how the color's coming in, and details, etc.

Really all I can add, besides ooooh and ahhhh :love: :D

Palombasso
05-23-2002, 11:20 PM
This is absolutely awesome!
I just hope that you´ll be nice enough to give us a higher res version of the final piece.. I just gotta have this as my wallpaper..:applause:
Really like the hidden monsters idea..

And what about the short you´ll were gonna do with your PA Challenge char?

puddlefish
05-24-2002, 08:43 AM
Nice work KOryH. There's a really nice subtle sense of mystery about it. The air is almost tangible. Nice composition too.

visualboo
05-24-2002, 05:22 PM
I've been preying for ya and the baby KOryH. I hope everything goes well for you. Do you know if it's a boy or girl yet? or are you waiting to be supprised?

Take care

KOryH
05-24-2002, 05:42 PM
Thanks Boo,
Most likely it will be a girl, but we might be suprised!

Sorry no update today, I have been slaking this week and now I need to make up for it. I also need to leave early today, for a soccer game.
So I guess, monday is the the time I'll get to work on it. I have to pace myself, other wise I will have to start another one.

Russo
05-24-2002, 08:53 PM
:applause:

System404
05-25-2002, 04:14 AM
:applause: i love the feeling of your piece:applause:
love your work, man! the subtle figures works great, kept looking at your piece for awhile trying not to miss anything.
hhmm! seems there's a lot more people on this new challenge than last months.cool!!:applause:

elfufu
05-26-2002, 04:55 PM
am i blind causei am not seeing the giant? where is he?

Kirt
05-26-2002, 06:02 PM
I believe this is the giant. Sorry, for doodling on your masterpiece KOryH :)

element412
05-26-2002, 07:54 PM
maybe kirt...but i dont think so..

anyway , is that a dinosaur tail ????
really great work koryh.

element

OZ
05-27-2002, 06:11 PM
A M A Z I N G!!!!!!!! i love this piC.!FANTASTIC!.....also full of hidden details as thr little creature on the middle right! What is that? A goblin?toll?.....:thumbsup:

Sangotten
05-28-2002, 03:27 PM
I love you forrest!!! really enchanting!!!

I hope I don't spoil the fun and and the magic of the piece but I made something to point out where I think the hidden creatures are...

If you do like it I'll remove it..okay?

Anyway, great work and nothing less is expected!!!

KOryH
05-28-2002, 09:41 PM
AHH very good San.
well It's not too tricky. I added a little fairy girl. She should be easy to spot. I am eventually going to add some more color and birds and maybe some more trolls or gnomes.
that's it is for today.
BTW no dinos, just dragons. I most likely will add more of a hulking mass to indicate the rest of the body behinde the trees.

http://korysdiner.homestead.com/files/FORUM/KH_FOREST_5.jpg

Sleepless
05-28-2002, 10:27 PM
rollin' rollin' rollin'....

the girl/fairy is a great addition, gives the piece a different flavor and focus. You amaze me again. I like the overall transparent way you apply the paint. I'm so heavy handed...

How far will a piece like this go until you say it's done? How tight would it have to be if it was a finish for your FT employer? I'm finding that it's possible to zoom in and detail forever with this PShop stuff, when do you stop? I know this is probably just a matter of personal pref.

Ps ...seeing this develop is like a free art lesson.

Sleepless

KOryH
05-28-2002, 10:40 PM
Well, latley I don't really go to finish. It's all about volume and quick sketches.
On this piece I will just keep going all month. Just for the hell of it.
I stole to pose for the fairy girl from William Bouguereau. He's been dead for about a hundred years so He won't mind.

Sleepless. I like your heavy hand. the BOLD and the beautiful.

visualboo
05-29-2002, 01:32 AM
KOryH, this update is really amazing. Love the pose. Love the flowers. Love the textures on the wood. Love the grass. Love the lighting.

ummm... again... nice update :)

Gilgamesh
05-29-2002, 03:59 AM
woah, that just screwed up my sense of scale. For some reason it seemed to me that everything was much bigger. I pictured a human about the size of those stones. I'm not sure why......but it is interesting. Anyway, now it is grounded, so that is good.
I would just like to say fabulous job. I really dig your sense of atmospheric perspective, the image has a lot of depth. It is really nice to see the progression of this piece.

KOryH
05-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Hey Gil,
You wre right about the girl. I made her a little smaller. not as small as you thought, but smaller. Those stones are from even smaller folks.
so here are some more tweaks.

http://korysdiner.homestead.com/files/FORUM/KH_FOREST_6.jpg

PS to all the 2D people get your friends to visit us. we need just as much love as the 3d people.
Let's Go 2D!

eirenicon
05-30-2002, 01:59 AM
Eerrrrkk.... wow... sensory intake overloaded with sweet merciful goodness...

:airguitar Aw yeah! :airguitar

Tellerve
05-30-2002, 02:51 AM
Sweet jebus, mother of pearl! KOryH I am thoroughly and utterly impressed. I came over this way to give some "lovin' to the 2d'ers" and am sooo happy I did. Amazing job, and keep it up. *stares again at the artwork* wow....

I seriously have nothing presently to critique...I'll study it hard and try and find something though :)

Tellerve

p.s. Just made it my new background :thumbsup:

visualboo
05-30-2002, 02:59 AM
This really is starting to get INSANELY good. Can we see a close up of the girl?

btw, I really think the dof fits nicely

pascal_blanche
05-30-2002, 03:09 AM
great work Koryh, as usual.... :applause:

sean_G
05-30-2002, 06:51 AM
i dig the work, but its especially the colour and light that moves me. the tonal range youre implementing seems especially serene, pastoral, and secluded . . . yet retaining a pensive edge.
NICE

KOryH
05-30-2002, 05:05 PM
Thanks guys.
This is turning out to be fun. I keep getting distracted my little bits and parts. I am going to try and hide some more magical creatures in there today or tomorrow. I added little footprints in the mud on the shore opposite the little girl, but you can't see it at this scale. I WILL post the full size image when I am done.

Yeah, I like the pensive edge thing; I think it's pretty dope.:p
Thanks again

chi
05-30-2002, 07:36 PM
sh!t man there are to sections in this challenge, 2d and 3d but if there is or could be an ultimate winner, it would have to be you, oh why dear lord did you have to put this man in the challange.....
oh yeah so he could create this amazing piece

Koma
05-30-2002, 07:40 PM
beautifull works ,exceptionnal !!!:thumbsup: :applause:

elfufu
05-30-2002, 07:44 PM
love the girl. this is looking very good. out of curiosity do you do this for a living yet?

KOryH
05-30-2002, 09:20 PM
TAAA DAAA
another update!
I'm really trying to get the people of the third dimension over here.
Well, I worked on the rock circle. made them look more like rocks.
and worked on the distant color shift a bit. nothing major, but I'm not really in a hurry.
http://korysdiner.homestead.com/files/FORUM/KH_FOREST_7.jpg
thanks for all your support!

elfufu yes, I have been known to draw and paint enchanted forrests for a living.

tAstyBITs
05-30-2002, 11:35 PM
Wow! it's really cool watching it get better and better. Great work.

:drool:

eirenicon
05-31-2002, 01:46 AM
KOryH: speaking of the third dimension...

I'd like to use your piece as the basis of a 3d entry. I think it's amazing and would translate really well to 3d. I started on it a bit, and I believe I could do it justice (hooopefully :D).

http://207.164.141.121:82/images/kh_forest_3d1.jpg

Just wanted to ask you first, if you don't mind! I'd already entered a 3d scene, but I'm stuck on it and don't have anything to work with. I'm a terrible concept artist :rolleyes:.

Adam
05-31-2002, 04:03 AM
I think that update is great. The stones look much cleaner and more defined. You have my vote. Oh it also seems like the lighting is a little clearer and more defined, maybe I'm wrong, but it looks great.

Also, I'm from the 3d realm and I think that you and Howard take the cake for 3d and 2d work so far and I suspect that you both will for the entire challenge.

GREAT WORK
:eek: :eek: :beer: :eek: :eek:

Adam
05-31-2002, 04:04 AM
oh and I love the leaves especially the attention to dof on the front leaves

:wip: :wip: :drool: :wip: :wip:

puddlefish
05-31-2002, 08:34 AM
Fantastic work as usual KOryH.

As for crits, I can only think of one:
The depth of field you've applied to the foreground leaves suggests something of a short focal lenght in the viewpoint. I'm not certain, but given this short length I'm pretty sure (trying desperately to remember my photography lessons...) that the trees in the background would be out of focus too.

I mention this only in a desperate search for something to criticise, and although it may be unrealistic, it is after all an enchanted forest, so if it looks nice (which it does) keep it!!

That was a pretty pointless post, no?

Equinoxx
05-31-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by KOryH
I'm really trying to get the people of the third dimension over here.

and why's that :surprised

hehe anyhoo, looking great mate . . . I love the giant in the background

leigh
05-31-2002, 03:21 PM
:applause: :applause:
Wow, Kory, this is BRILLIANT!!!
If we could give star ratings, I'd definitely give you a 5 ;)

elfufu
05-31-2002, 03:26 PM
i like the fact that the dragon is alot more defined. i missed him the first couple times... now all you need is a bunch of naked chicks and we can get some of the 3D cats over here:beer:

hypercube
05-31-2002, 03:51 PM
I think I'll need to hit the thesaurus to keep posting in this one, there's only so many ways to say gorgeous, beautiful, amazing.. tis truly an august entry of ineffable pulchritude :D

FWIW I like the DOF with focused background..makes me think of classic disney multiplane camera stuff..really nice touch to it.

[edit] PS. Dunno if they'd fit, but why not, there's always room for naked chicks (like jello). Or just start a naked chick forum and find jeroentje's wacom supplier. :)

elfufu
05-31-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by hypercube
Or just start a naked chick forum and find jeroentje's wacom supplier. :)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:thumbsup:

Azure
05-31-2002, 04:28 PM
WOW:eek:
This is beutifull

~A~

KOryH
05-31-2002, 04:39 PM
Thanks Everyone.
I am still contemplating the DOF. I just put it in there without much thought, well, a little. I have those leaves on a separate layer and one un blurred. I think I am going more towards the late 19th century European look for the finish. So that means no DOF.
I'll do something to push the depth, but not rely on photographic conventions. I want people to feel like they are right there at the edge of the clearing and not looking through a glass lens.
Well, off to my real work.

PS I've been looking at the art of Ep II and holy shimoly Ryan Church is my new idol. And Ian McCaig is still and always will be the man.

elfufu
05-31-2002, 04:43 PM
i say the DOF is great it really gives it depth. its amazing cause we are so used to seeing pictures of beautifull landscapes and forrest from national geographic that they almost dont seem real when its missing. Not to say that it looks bad without it but it makes it only better i vote leave the DOF.

as for the art of episode 2, yes sir i just spent my $35, that book is incredible!!!

RobG
05-31-2002, 05:40 PM
Wow! For what it's worth, i'm using my first post here at this forum to compliment you on a great piece of work. This is very inspiring stuff! Can't wait to see the finished product

ZrO-1
05-31-2002, 06:18 PM
Dam KOryH, Your piece has way better composition than most of the 3D stuff. I really love the look to it. The aptnosphere(sp) looks so thick you could cut it with a knife. Good stuff.

diazgl
05-31-2002, 08:38 PM
hey KOryH, i'm really tired, so i'm not REALLY gonna crit. I've been watching your work for some (little) time now, and i think they're great. This is a fantastic piece of work, and its up for first spot if you ask me. just make it more complex, more "airy", and one thing i persume as important, use contrast. There isn't realy much contrast in your scene, and I see a lot of "gray" colours, which simply make it a little dull. Dont go making it the happy-happy children's drawing, but add some larger contrast. That's all, over and out.

PS: when you're done with your talent, can I have it?

dobermunk
05-31-2002, 09:22 PM
Very nice!

THis is an enchanted forest! I look forward to seeing what happens as you progress from here...

chadlychoo
06-01-2002, 06:04 AM
WOW!! :eek: My favorite part are the laves in the foreground.
:applause:
:buttrock:

Jacko Cohen
06-01-2002, 05:37 PM
I kinda liked it better when there was only the dragon's tail. Looking at the picture you'd get surprised to find it there. You couldn't see what it was attached to so imagine it. Now it's pretty plain to see. Sorta takes away from the 'hidden faeries' thing. No more mystery.

ps. no DOF either, if you ask me.

UrbanFuturistic
06-01-2002, 10:49 PM
Any chance of posting links to more high-res versions? Something I can use for my desktop :thumbsup:

Loving it.
regards, Paulhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/odubtaig/smilies/coffee.gif

lildragon
06-01-2002, 11:46 PM
KOryH you never stop amazing me, I mean when we said enchanted I was wondering if I could get that "fantasy" feel from any work this month, and man you did it, this defines enchantment... I love it .... I would hate to see your Layer stack in PS... hey there's an idea any chance we could? I mean this *is* a learning challenge after all ;)

cheers

Tommy Lee
06-02-2002, 04:26 AM
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO:::::::applause: :applause:

This would be a hard contest. What I see till now is amazing...
Maybe it wasnt that good idea to challenge too.

But,... lets see!!!!:cool:

GOOD LUCK TO EVERY CHALLANGER!!!

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

PATER
06-02-2002, 02:06 PM
Yeah KOryH, almost perfect... :love:

maybe you could give a few more hints how you work... or give a few links with tips or something... i dont draw often with a tablett... would be cool!

hehe, and i need a high-rez-version, pleeease!!!

@Tommy Lee: Grazie! ...and good luck :) (...for all challengers too)

visualboo
06-02-2002, 11:46 PM
lil'D, I might be wrong but I think I remember him saying he usually works with like 3-4 layers.

Still would be cool though :)

KOryH
06-03-2002, 05:27 PM
Howdy folks!
No update this morning, but I'll do something at lunch.

As for technique?
I try not to have to many layers. Mostly I just use them for things I am unsure of, like the scale of the girl, or some foreground elements. And the occasional FX layer. I believe in the K.I.S.S. method of working.

Jacko- I think I agree with you. I may push that dragon back a bit.

diazgl- I'm not a big fan of need less contrast. I feel like I have the greatest amount of contrast, color and value, in the middle of the scene where I want people to look first. Then they will wonder around the rest of the picture. If every thing were contrasty then where would they look? I find that many 3D image-makers don't use subtly as much as they could, or even understand the concept. No offence to 3D guys, but really a lot of the stuff I see is an assault on my cones and rods.

diazgl
06-03-2002, 07:33 PM
hmm, excellent remark, i never thought of it in that aspect (i am not that good in scene composition). Comment withdrawn. I will try to assimilate this in the stuff i make (when I make...:D)

PS: what's "cones and rods"?

KOryH
06-03-2002, 09:39 PM
Well, here ya go!
More little things here and there. Basically I just sit down and whatever I do that day I do. No planning. It is kind of therapeutic I suppose. Some day I'll finish or at least force myself to bring it all together. Thanks for all the advice. I really do listen. As for a high rez version, I will post one at the end. I am working at 2000 pixels wide. So for now, you guys are missing out on some detail. Maybe I'll post a little detail pic at full rez?

Cones and rods are parts of your eye. They are the things that see light, dark and color.

http://korysdiner.homestead.com/files/FORUM/KH_FOREST_8.jpg

eirenicon
06-04-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by KOryH
No offence to 3D guys, but really a lot of the stuff I see is an assault on my cones and rods.

I'll have to agree here. Your image has an ambient feel to it, sort of relaxed and dreamy. It doesn't need more contrast, the semi-washed out look makes it appear soft and sun-drenched. By the way, I hope my own 3d entry doesn't make your eyes hurt :p

Awesome work so far, I have to say :thumbsup:

pearson
06-04-2002, 07:04 AM
Since this is on a new page, I've added a scaled down version of the original image so you don't have to back and forth to compare it with the other one
http://www.geocities.com/pear_son001/forest8_original.txt

Koryh, this picture is so great! In regard to your comment about 3d stuff hurting your eyes, I fully agree. I am guilty of creating offending images myself, mostly because I don't start the image from a whole composition viewpoint - I focus on the cool stuff I'm going to model for the scene. Composing the scene is secondary. Another issue is trying to be photo-real. This leads to lack of control over the image.

I hope you don't mind that I did a little breakdown of your image to show why it is so good. Please feel free to add any insight you have about why the piece works so well.

http://www.geocities.com/pear_son001/forest8_breakdown.txt

First off, this is KOryH's image with the Brightness dropped way down and the Contrast turned way up. This makes it easy to see the shapes in the image.

In any image, the viewer's eye is attracted to points of high contrast; the brightest bright next to the darkest dark. Notice that the light coming from behind the trees is bright. But nowhere is it as bright as the glowing light floating above the stone circle. If they where, they would fight for attention, keeping the viewer from knowing where to look. So, with light and dark values alone, KOryH guides the viewer to look first at the glow over the circle of stones.

That's a good start, but notice the red arrows I've drawn over the image. These show how the shapes in the image direct the viewer's eye back to the circle of stones. Also, if the tree were straight up and down, and the horizon were straight from left to right, the image would be much less dynamic; less interesting. Also, if they slanted down towards the edges of the image, they would lead the viewer's eye away from the stone circle.

There is one rule that KOryH does break. The "rule of thirds" recomends that the center of interest not be centered in the image. It suggests that the image frame be divided into thirds, and that the focal point should lie at one of the intersections of these dividing lines. Since KOryH's focal point is centered left to right, but not up and down, it isn't too noticeable. This problem is also very easily fixed by a little cropping.

The last thing I want to point out is the stream. Look at its reflection. At this angle it would probably reflect the bright light from the background all along its surface until it ran off the bottom edge of the image. This would lead the viewer's eye straight out of the picture. And passing as close as it does to the center of interest, where the viewer's eye goes first, the viewer would be quickly led out of the image with no chance to appreciate the rest of the picture. Wisely, KOryH darkens the stream as it leads to the edge of the picture, turning the viewer's eye back into the image.

It is this third point particularly that gives us 3D people trouble. Many think that if the render came out like that, then that's what the light would really do and, therefor, is what the light should do. Wrong. The result, whether from 3D, 2D, or a mix of the two, is a 2-Dimensional image, and all the rules of good composition apply.

Perhaps you have seen the short called "Bunny" (http://bunny.blueskystudios.com/bunny_home.html) , the first short to be completely rendered with radiosity. Radiosity is supposed to be the most realistic lighting model available, and should, therefor, create the most realistic images.

What the team found, however, was that the realistic lighting bounced into places where they didn't want it. If the background and the character have good contrast, the character will easily focus the viewers attention. if the contrast is low, the character doesn't "read" well (doesn't attract the viewer's eye enough), and this is the problem they were getting. The background fought for attention with the character, causing the images to lose focus.

They had quite a time tweaking the radiosity to get the realistic look they wanted, yet still keep the light from messing up the image. They did a fine job, and looking at it you would swear the lighting is natural. But it's not. They carefully followed the rules of composition and contrast even thought they had to bend the rules of how light behaves to do it. Because they did, the piece is very beautiful, and visually powerful, just like KOryH's.

Korgath
06-04-2002, 07:19 AM
This is so great.. You're my idol.

Hail to thee, Master:bowdown:

pearson
06-04-2002, 07:20 AM
Heh, as if you haven't heard enough from me! :D I do have one crit that I forgot to mention. The clump of leaves in the lower left corner are too bright, I think. They attract the eye and are so close to the edge that they push the viewer out of the image. I think that you're using them to push the depth, and that's good, I just think they are too noticeable.

KOryH
06-04-2002, 05:52 PM
Wow, that's quite a crit of my work pearson. I am flattered.
You make good points on the positive and the negative. It means a lot to me that other artists notice the things I am doing. I suppose it validates my thought process.
I come from a traditional Illustration background so all the things you pointed out are always a part of my subconscious. I also have worked in film and television animation for about 5 years, so framing characters and staging is part of me as well. Now that I am working in video games all those 2D paradigms are still desirable but infinitely harder to achieve. Just think about creating an immersive 3D world that gives the illusion, yes Illusion, that you can go anywhere and that you have free will. But, we still need to direct attention to the viewer to specific game play needs. Boy, that's a challenge!

Ok back to the relevant. One thing to remember about good composition is this... concentric circles are very powerful. After all it's a bulls eye. That’s what I have going on in the middle if the picture. That really helps. I would have been harder to get attention with a triangle or some other random shape.

Well, that's it for now.
On a side note. I started working on the first real shot of my short film. Until now it has all been proof of concept stuff. I think I have my production method worked out. I will post some storyboard and production drawings when I get the chance.
The baby should be here any day now, or hour.

AJ
06-04-2002, 08:38 PM
My God that tiny little pier is genius!

I appear to have dropped my jaw...

:eek:

jeroentje
06-05-2002, 11:25 AM
I see I haven't made a post here yet.
That's because there's nothing else to do here than bow my head in silence.

respect :bowdown:

jeroentje

levin
06-07-2002, 12:46 PM
as of now, this is my wallpaper.

Gamoron
06-11-2002, 04:07 PM
I'v got my work cut out for me. The subleties at work in that image are amazing, if you're doing this at lunch, in the morning, whatever, maybe you SHOULD quit your day job.:buttrock:

edaddy
06-11-2002, 05:27 PM
your concentric circle:
i think the composition leaves little to be desired :bowdown:

KOryH
06-11-2002, 08:50 PM
Well here is another update!!!
I have been pretty distracted lately.

Just some tightening up of some things and adding some foliage here and there. I am still trying to figure out how and where to add more magic and enchanted stuff, with out making it over done. Any comments welcome.
I feel like I have lost sight of the whole picture here, but I am having fun! I hope you like it.
http://korysdiner.homestead.com/files/FORUM/KH_FOREST_9.jpg

Tommy Lee
06-11-2002, 09:12 PM
I think there is no more to do. But if you want, maybe 1 or 2 glowy dots in the dark areas left and right where ya think:"Where is the glowing coming from???". Its a little FX that doesn´t disturb the excellent focus.
Do it or let it....

Its a beautyfull picture anyway!!!:thumbsup:

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

diazgl
06-12-2002, 08:07 AM
great KOryH. Don't know what you could add, but as said, i don't think there is anything you can add. It's a perfectly balanced picture, with all the content it SHOULD have, no less, no more. I guess it looks a *bit* empty,but only comparing to what some others have done, but again, this is a perfectly balanced composition.

edaddy
06-12-2002, 02:51 PM
i think your done....it's a beautiful piece and u should TAKE A BREAK NOW !:beer: if u really want to add more, then i would suggest to put more colored flowers (mushrooms?) scattered around in the grass

Gamoron
06-12-2002, 02:56 PM
Done is done. Learn to say NO. You're finished. I like the little dock. :applause: Don't overwork it.

Start something else.:drool:

balistic
06-12-2002, 04:14 PM
Props, sir.

My eye wants to see some blue in there, maybe as a subtle fill light on a tree trunk or a rock . . . just a splash of blue someplace.

Otherwise, good stuff.

KOryH
06-18-2002, 05:22 AM
Thanks guys.
balistic, you are totally right. I was thinking that myself. I tend to work fairly tight within a range of colors and then towards the end use more saturated and contrasting colors to focus the viewers attention to where I want them to look. This will probably be my next step.

Well, Great news and not so great news.
The not so great news is that I won't be able to finish this any time soon and the GREAT NEWS is....
WE HAD A BABY!!!!
Little Isabella was born last Thursday. I'll spare you the details, but in my non-medical opinion, I think she is the perfect baby. :bounce:

So, I will finish this eventually and I hope to be able to, at least, post the large version of what I have done so far.

Thanks for all your support thus far and I am looking forward to seeing all the finished pieces!

SEE YA,
Back to sleepless nights and changing diapers

Tommy Lee
06-18-2002, 06:08 AM
He did it!!!!:applause:

All the best for little Isabella, your wife and You!!!!

Hehe, This was a nine-month-WIP:wip:

You are a happy man.:thumbsup:

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

Kirt
06-18-2002, 07:45 AM
Congratulations to the new Daddy!! Glad to hear that everyone is doing well. From personal experience you get more rest when they're babies than when they turn in to little balls of energy and are into everything not securely fastened or locked. My kids were angels before they started getting mobile.

I'm not sure if that was my blessing or curse ... :bounce:

As for your illustration here ... I think you could have called it finished at anytime after your first lunch break and we'd all have been none the wiser.

jeroentje
06-18-2002, 10:54 AM
He, that's good news man!
Congratulations to you and your wife. :)
jeroentje

Square
06-24-2002, 12:15 AM
Congratulations!! :)

the real WIP has just begun!

Sleepless
06-24-2002, 06:19 AM
Alright Dad! Happy for the 3 of ya.

elfufu
06-24-2002, 06:25 PM
cheers to the baby:beer:

lildragon
06-24-2002, 06:29 PM
Has anyone heard from Kory? I've been trying to get hold of him to no avail.

cheers

visualboo
06-24-2002, 07:43 PM
It's all about the baby lil'D :)

CONGRATULATIONS Kory. I wish the best for you, your wife and isabella.

lildragon
06-24-2002, 07:48 PM
oh believe me I know that, that's one of the reasons I want to get in contact with him ;)

Taoizm
06-24-2002, 07:50 PM
DUDE!!! congrats.

KOryH
06-24-2002, 09:35 PM
NO time, parents and family and in-laws are showing up tomorrow and I have to go back to my day job.
Thanks for all your kind words.

Check out some picture on my website
www.korysdiner.com

Follow the bouncing baby!

diazgl
06-25-2002, 12:33 AM
wow man!! Congratulations!! :beer:
Seems like time for you to be CELEBRATING (yeah, i guess you're thinking what supersperm you got, :) )

Anyways, all the best mate!! May she live a thousand years!

MikaelPersson
06-26-2002, 02:49 PM
How could I have missed this one? I want it printed and up on my wall.
Such a nice selection of tones. I will have to go back to this picture each time I take a look at a 3D piece. Just to remember how the colour range should look. I am looking forward to your 2k picture.

TheSymbol
06-26-2002, 04:20 PM
Cool. Nice composition with subtle details.

Would have like to have seen more depth of field though.

plouffe
06-28-2002, 04:53 PM
You're my HERO!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

dmcgrath
06-30-2002, 04:25 AM
Hey KoryH,
Dont be too disappointed about the lack of attention you feel the 2D side is getting. You all rock here. And as for this challange, it is going to be alot harder to pick the overall winner on the 2D side than the 3D. Very quality stuff here.

Tommy Lee
06-30-2002, 11:54 AM
Congrats KOryH!!!!

I think we have five winners:eek: inthis challenge....

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

Sangotten
07-01-2002, 12:28 PM
Koryn

You're allready a winner with that daughter of yours congrats!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.