PDA

View Full Version : Rigging problem

foggyball
01-20-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have very little experience of rigging and as a result I've come unstuck with this. It's fairly simple, the highlighted part rotates which causes the wheels to pivot. The problem I'm having is getting the axel to stay pinned to the ends and also orient correctly. The current setup is using constraints and I'm not sure if this is the best approach. Another thing is in the real model the wheels don't turn at the same angle by which I mean when the rig is in it's extreme left/right position, the left wheel will have a different angle to the right. In my setup this isn't true because the wheels are orient constrained, so they're identical.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this or a better approach.

Scene file attached is Maya2010 but can be opened in previous versions. Select the centre object and rotate to see the issue.

Thanks.

Dave

Darksuit
01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
This should all pivot correctly now. I didn't use a single constraint. It is mostly about Parenting and setting up your pivot locations correctly. I did have to guess on the wheels but if I am reading the diagram correctly this is how it should work.

foggyball
01-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks very much. I wont get a chance to look at the scene until tomorrow but really appreciate your help.

Dave

Darksuit
01-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Again as I stated in the other post, is to understand and get the hierarchy correct. I typically use constraints to attach controllers from outside of the hierarchy. Once those things are done, then I can add in any expressions or nodes. Nodes or linked Attributes might be the way to do things here.

But understand and plan things out first. Otherwise you wind up fighting against the rig.

foggyball
01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Darksuit,

I had a look at the file you uploaded, but unfortunately it's not quite how the real one works, I probably didn't explain clearly enough.

I've upload a new scene in which I have everything pivoted correct. So when you select and rotate the main_pivot the axel and wheels behave in the way they should. It's a very rough test rig and I hope when I use the real CAD data things will line up correctly.

I'm sure it could be a lot neater but I took your advice of planning first and keeping the hierarchy clean, which helped immensely.

I'd be interested if you can see a simpler solution, maybe one that keeps the ends of the axel pinned in place. Although a rotation limit on the main_pivot would solve the separation between the axel and pins.

Thanks again for your help.

Darksuit
01-21-2010, 02:10 PM
So it looks like the Bar is what should be driving the rotations not the pivots. I think I have a solution for this...

Darksuit
01-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Okay, In this rig, I am using Joints and Controls to limit the actions of the roations. This should be closer to what you were describing... The Control drives the Rig. Normally I would name everything but i am at work and doing this pretty quickly. It should give you the idea of what is going on.

foggyball
01-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Spot on Darksuit, that's exactly what I was after, a nice elegant solution. Thank you very much for your help, I've learnt a lot.

Darksuit
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
if we learn something anything at all even if it how not to do something because it is made harder then it is a win. =)

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.