PDA

View Full Version : REUTERS:Pixar may have outgrown Disney

RobertoOrtiz
08-27-2003, 03:06 PM
Roberto here:

This is a nice article that sums up what we have discussed about the Disney and Pixar deal, and how it is seen from a business point of view

Quote:
"Pixar Animation Studios (NasdaqNM:PIXR - News) may have outgrown the need for the Walt Disney Co.'s "stamp of approval" after the record box office success of "Finding Nemo" and other huge hits that burnished Pixar's brand in the minds of animated movie fans.

When "Finding Nemo" became the top-selling animated movie in U.S. history last week, Pixar executives were already discussing how to reduce ties to Walt Disney Co.(NYSE:DIS - News), the family-friendly giant that has helped finance and market Pixar films under a partnership deal that will soon expire."

>>Link<< (http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030826/media_pixar_disney_1.html)

DiOrio
08-27-2003, 06:28 PM
After so much success, Pixar can pretty much do anything they want. Are they still under contract with Disney? I'm sure once that contract expires, Pixar will break most ties with Disney.

LocoMan
08-27-2003, 07:08 PM
I think pixar is under contract for 2 more movies after Finding Nemo (The Incredibles and one about talking cars, IIRC), then they're free to do their own stuff... which I don't think is any different from what they're doing now, just that they get to keep all the money... :D

DiOrio
08-28-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by LocoMan
I think pixar is under contract for 2 more movies after Finding Nemo (The Incredibles and one about talking cars, IIRC), then they're free to do their own stuff... which I don't think is any different from what they're doing now, just that they get to keep all the money... :D

How many movies was Pixar originally under contract with Disney for? They've made Toy story 1 and 2, A bugs Life, Monsters Inc, and Finding Nemo. I thought I read that it was six, but Disney didn't count Toystory 2 because it was about the same characters.

Magnusv
08-28-2003, 10:02 PM
In a way I would hope for a split because then perhaps we can get original Cg full features from Diney as well as Pixar,more fun,twice as many great movies.:beer:

Cararan
08-28-2003, 10:32 PM
I think it was 5 movies that Pixar had to do for Disney. Toy Story 1 and 2 did not count. So theres Bugs Life, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles and Cars. But i hope Pixar could work out a new deal Disney Marketing Team is amazing with Pixar movies.

PhilOsirus
08-29-2003, 12:22 AM
They don't need Disney anymore, any bank and investors will give them all the money they need to do as much by-products and have as much visibility as Disney. And hey, they beated Lion King, so they HAVE the visibility Disney had.

Disney will of course do everything to prevent that, since it could lead to Disney's bankrupcy just like Mc Donald's would go out of business if it was no longer #1 in the fast food department. They would have to shrink so much while their primary competitor rockets off to the moon that they would give up, sell, close. Just like with the race to the moon!;)

DiOrio
08-30-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Cararan
I think it was 5 movies that Pixar had to do for Disney. Toy Story 1 and 2 did not count. So theres Bugs Life, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles and Cars. But i hope Pixar could work out a new deal Disney Marketing Team is amazing with Pixar movies.

When does the Incredibles come to theaters? summer or fall or winter 2004, or something like that?

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.