PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics Playback Slow

Aido
08-27-2003, 07:57 AM
After going through some tutorials and the maya online help, I came accross this tip;

If your dynamic animation looks choppy during playback, make sure the playback speed is set to Free in the Timeline page of the Window > Settings/Preferences > Preferences window. This ensures that Maya won't skip frames, which is often a cause of the problem.

Im currently using Maya 4.02 and there does not seem to be such an option.
The playback of my dynamics is extremly slow, if anyone has any suggestions as to what this could be or how to help, I would be very appreciative.
Thanks.
Ayjay.
:thumbsup:

Jozvex
08-28-2003, 01:41 AM
The changed the option from being called "Free" to "Play every frame".

Aido
08-28-2003, 02:39 AM
Jozvex,
Thank you very much for your help. I spent a couple of hours trying to find that setting !
Thanks again

Ayjay.

Aido
08-28-2003, 05:44 AM
Unfortunately using that setting has not made any difference.
If I create a scene with a plane and a sphere, delete history on both, use the default settings for the rigid bodies and the gravity field, the animation still plays extremely slow. I have 100 frames the timeline is set to play every frame.
The sphere barely moves during the 100 frame period.If i extend the frame range to 500, I can see it move over that time but still very slow. What is it that Im doing wrong?
The gnomon tutorials use default settings but get a very fast playback speed.
Unfortunately Im at a loss again.
Ayjay.:thumbsdow

Jozvex
08-28-2003, 06:04 AM
Hmm, maybe you're units scale is set differently?

Window > Settings/Preferences > Preferences

Then in the 'Settings' section you can set the scale. I think the default for 'Linear' is centimeter.

Either that, or try moving/deleting your Maya preferences folder, so that when you next start up Maya everything will be on default.

Aido
08-28-2003, 06:14 AM
You are a lifesaver my friend, thank you very much.
My maya seems to default to linear working units of meters not centimeters. Once this is changed over my scene run perfectly.
Thanks again, sorry to bug you.
Ayjay

Jozvex
08-28-2003, 10:42 AM
No problem!

People are usually quite happy to answer questions on these boards, so don't hesitate to ask. Well, try and solve things on your own first of course, hehe.

:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.