PDA

View Full Version : Challenges issues for Aug/Sept 2003 resolved here

lildragon
08-27-2003, 01:40 AM
go for it

Knut
08-27-2003, 01:54 AM
Is it supposed to or can it be "cartoony" like Tim Burton style or is the goal photoreal?

AlexAlvarez
08-27-2003, 03:15 AM
Hello...

Well, the style can be 'fantastic' ala Tim Burton, but the end result must look photoreal... especially since your work will be composited onto a live-action plate.

Good luck everyone. :)

marvin042
08-27-2003, 03:24 AM
So let me get this straight? What our video will be composed of is a 5-20 sec. shot showing "things" turning into a carnival. That's it?

I don't mean to say that's easy, cause it won't be, but that's pretty much it, right?

marvin

AlexAlvarez
08-27-2003, 03:25 AM
Yep...

Bischofftep
08-27-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by A.Alvarez
...the end result must look photoreal... especially since your work will be composited onto a live-action plate.

Just making sure everyone caught this. We're to composite the 3D elements into a PHOTO PLATE, which if I read this right can be a single shot or a few different shots photocomposited into one for our use.

Correct me if I'm wrong... not sure if I'll have time for this one but I'm sure gonna try!

-Bischofftep

CobraX
08-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Just to go with Bischofftep ..this means No video this time? right? Just Photo?

I remember one of the first rules that was, No teaming up...cuz hehe it seems that all the people who won lately were teams...

I'd like these things to be clear.

Thank you.
Xavier.

Scott Harris
08-27-2003, 06:22 PM
about that photoplate...

how much freedome do we have to mess with that plate? my mind is running wild with ideas...

1. what are the limitations for editing the BG plate?

2. can it only be a still or can it be a live action background? ex, so leaves can be blowing in the background and such...

3. can it only be a photo of a real forest? or can it be a constructed miniature created with real materials? (that would be fun)

this is my first chance to try some "live action magic" with my animation so I just wanted to confirm the guidlines befor I go off the deep end... this has the potential to be really crazy... hope we can be as creative as possible.

Chris_Wallace
08-27-2003, 06:54 PM
So let me see if I have this right...

the 10 ships are 5 feet long... and they unfold into a carnival.

A carnival for gnome sized people? Or do these ships fold out and transform Tex Avery style into human sized attractions?

If they transform from tiny to huge, then we would have to scout or create a pretty good clearing for the scene to take place. How much detail would a 5 foot ship hold in contrast to such a huge background plate?

CW

AlexAlvarez
08-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Chris_Wallace
So let me see if I have this right...
A carnival for gnome sized people? Or do these ships fold out and transform Tex Avery style into human sized attractions?

Indeed... something like that.

As far as the BG plate, you can edit it all you like, as long as the end result is photographic.

Can you shoot video? If you want to, but that will make the process of retouching much more difficult.

Can it be a miniature? Sure, again if it looks photographic... to the point that we can't tell that it was a miniature.

Scott Harris
08-27-2003, 07:42 PM
this is so great...

CobraX
08-27-2003, 08:07 PM
What About teamin up mister Alvarez. It seems that there is no more rule about this...

The Subject is really inspiring thank you very much for putting such nice Challenges since the beginning :D

xavier.

AlexAlvarez
08-27-2003, 08:17 PM
glad that you like it... I find it much easier to work on a project if there is a clear 'story'.

In regards to teams, that is fine with me.

Chris_Wallace
08-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Indeed... something like that.

As far as the BG plate, you can edit it all you like, as long as the end result is photographic.

Can you shoot video? If you want to, but that will make the process of retouching much more difficult.

Can it be a miniature? Sure, again if it looks photographic... to the point that we can't tell that it was a miniature.

Like what? This carnivle is for :

A) gnome sized people

B) The ships fold out for regular humans?

CW

AlexAlvarez
08-27-2003, 09:22 PM
It is a normal sized carnival

Chris_Wallace
08-27-2003, 09:24 PM
It is a normal sized carnival

OK thanks.

CW

marvin042
08-27-2003, 10:44 PM
I don't know about anybody else, but this reminds me of "Something Wicked This Way Comes." except the miniature part.

Creepy if done right...

marvin

marvin042
08-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Oops. One more thing I wanted to check. Do we use Sorenson 1,2, or 3 to compress, or does it matter? I've noticed Sorenson 3 does the best job and keeps the file size small enough, but that's not up to me.

marvin

AlexAlvarez
08-27-2003, 11:58 PM
Sorenson version doesn't matter... I use 3.

Yes, I did have 'Something Wicked this Way Comes' in mind. The title of this challenge came from a review I read of the Ray Bradbury book.

CobraX
08-28-2003, 01:05 AM
I want to thank you Senor Alvarez for answering to our question so rapidly...i just thought it would be a good idea to notice that :beer:

AlexAlvarez
08-28-2003, 04:39 AM
No problem... :)
I really look forward to what everyone is going to do... I think there is a lot of potential with this one. Wish I had the time to participate!

Knut
09-15-2003, 02:10 AM
I was looking forward to do this project, but i find it to big for me to even start on right now. It might just be me, but i find the task a bit too big for a spare time project. The main thing for me is that you have to make 10x(Concept, model, texture, rigging, animation, etc.) and then integrate it onto a plate/live plate. It basically too much for me. For me, even doing 1 or 2 of those carnival features would be a big task.

I'll check by next time you announce a challenge, but i hope it will be a bit smaller next time. I loved the earthquake challenge, that was 1 earthquake, not ten ;)

You can delete my challenge thread.

Regards,
Knut

Arioch
09-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Hey Knut, I agree that this time the project was very complex and specific; I knew I wouldn't have the spare time to work on it either. I think this is why we are seeing more team efforts on the challenges. Also at the challenge start it seemed that the focus for this one was very narrow as far as creativity and interpretation but the entries so far have made me change my mind on that one. Nice job guys, hope you all make it to the finish.

The focused and complex challenges seem more of a real-world exercise in completing an FX shot. The simpler ones, like the alien base, appeal to a wider group because they are more open to creativity and the complexity is dictated by the ambitions of each entry. Both types of challenges are important and rotating between these two is the probably the best way to keep many people interested in the challenge and expose people to VFX techniques.

I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of this challenge as well as what the next one has in store for us. And if it's really tough maybe we can team up!
:thumbsup:

Eman597
09-16-2003, 02:20 AM
Mickey and I are in the same boat with Knut. With school, homework, and all our other activities, we just dont have enough time to finish this one. Sorry guys, but if the next one is smaller we will surely participate. :wavey:

Selim
09-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Is it possible to have some deadline extension ? ie one week or something like this.

Thanks.

lildragon
10-01-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Selim
Is it possible to have some deadline extension ? ie one week or something like this.

Thanks.

Sorry, we're a bit behind as it is. We've been waiting for this challenge to complete to get voting going.

-lild

russ_c
10-01-2003, 07:53 AM
Thank you for clarifying lildragon, I guess what we have posted is what electroganic and I have...I will make an attempt to playblast our rough animation if anyone is curious to how our carnival will unpackage.

This has been an excellent learning experience, good luck to everyone else!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.