PDA

View Full Version : Bindpose Question

scarecrow
05-20-2002, 04:43 PM
Hey, y'all...

Okay - I'm not really much of a modeller myself (I'm an animator, actually) but I need to settle somewhat of a modelling arguement.

If the model of a human character is going to be rigged and animated (In Maya, but software is irrelevant for the sake of this question) how might it ever make sense to model the character's arms angled slightly down instead of extended straight out to the sides?

I've always figured that having the arms straight out makes binding the character (especially in the case of painting weights in maya) easier with all the points easily accessible - And it's also the middle point between the up and down extremes where the shoulder would either be stretched (down) or creased (up). Although, yeah - Most of the time, our arms are usually below that level for most actions... But then again, most models that I see here are with their arms outstretched.

Is there, by any stretch of the imagination, any advantage to modelling a character with its arms down? If there is some reason why this would be necessary or advantageous, I'm definitely curious...

Thanks,
-Pete

Adam Klein
05-26-2002, 12:21 AM
weell, ease of selecting the points, if angled, then you have no veiw but perspective to grab from,

also, if you model with arms down then it becomes harder to deal with the points in the armpit area

when It comes time to make UV's, arms down/bent would be much more difficult

bone placement in the arms becomes a tad more difficult, because you are dealing with angles instead of laying them right in there, this becomes especially noticable when you get down to the hands, many bones at all these angles

when you get faster you sould just be rippin' down the arms and legs in no time flat, if you need to check for proportion (where's you background image!!!?) just grab the arm and rotate it down,

or set your rig up and just switch models in...Oh wait, that's MESSIAH! lol, no weightmaps

ok... that's enough there

LucentDreams
06-02-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by scarecrow
Hey, y'all...

Okay - I'm not really much of a modeller myself (I'm an animator, actually) but I need to settle somewhat of a modelling arguement.

If the model of a human character is going to be rigged and animated (In Maya, but software is irrelevant for the sake of this question) how might it ever make sense to model the character's arms angled slightly down instead of extended straight out to the sides?

I've always figured that having the arms straight out makes binding the character (especially in the case of painting weights in maya) easier with all the points easily accessible - And it's also the middle point between the up and down extremes where the shoulder would either be stretched (down) or creased (up). Although, yeah - Most of the time, our arms are usually below that level for most actions... But then again, most models that I see here are with their arms outstretched.

Is there, by any stretch of the imagination, any advantage to modelling a character with its arms down? If there is some reason why this would be necessary or advantageous, I'm definitely curious...

Thanks,
-Pete

Well not all the way down, but as your were saying the one you like is the middle of the two extremes, but your wrong. the reason the angle method is a little better is this is actually the middle of the two extresme for the shoulder. Here is something cool, put one hand on the other arms shoulder, and push down with it. Now try to raise that arm sideways as high as possible. if done right you shuld only be able to raise it to the point at which you are currently modelig you arms, about 90 degrees from your torso. this is the extreme high. anything higher is using the clavicle to go higher.

Hope that helps a bit, overall not abig difference, but try to get the body into the most natural position , but at the same time easy to move around and get into those odd creveasses and such.

blankslatejoe
06-13-2002, 04:00 PM
Hey I just tried your arm/clavicle trick, that's the coolest thing in the universe.... I too am a beginner and was wondering why the arms were outstretched etc.etc...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.