PDA

View Full Version : Enchanted Forest - Character - Kirt

Kirt
05-20-2002, 03:43 PM
Oh boy! This is going to be a first for me on several levels. This is my first WIP challenge. Since I'm rather new here ... it'll be a first posting of my artwork (don't count that sitting spiderman I did over in the 2D forum). And finally, this will be my first work with my wacom tablet (should be a good learning experience).

So, I'll be doing a character for this WIP challenge. I have a few ideas but no sketches as of yet. I'm leaning towards doing a Dryad, a wood sprite-elf-fairy thing that can change it's physical form into a tree. I've even debated doing several of them to create the enchanted forest (living trees) and throwing in a lumberjacker w/chainsaw.

Not that I dislike Dryads ... it's sort of an environmental issue piece.:D

Kirt
05-20-2002, 09:01 PM
This is about all I could get done this morning before having to go to work. :annoyed:

I decided to have my Dryad in somewhat human form hiding behind a tree (in the forest) with a deep chainsaw cut on her leg. The lumberjacker will be in the background searching dumbfounded for the creature he unknowingly wounded.

OZ
05-20-2002, 09:02 PM
VERY VERY NICE!good start!:thumbsup:

puddlefish
05-20-2002, 09:04 PM
Good start and a fresh idea.
Keep us posted!! :thumbsup:

Oxy
05-21-2002, 04:07 PM
goddamed you've found my weak spot... Girls and nature... :surprised but i like it!

Kirt
05-21-2002, 06:18 PM
Going to have to move to cleanup after this one. I pretty much ran out of space in my sketchbook for this image. :hmm:

2 days and only 1/5th of the image sketched out so far. Good thing we have 6 weeks to work on this one. I'll be progressing slowly.

Next update should be in a couple of days.

KOryH
05-21-2002, 06:28 PM
I realy like the drawing!
However, The perspective on the face is off. Fix it and she will be hotter than, well you know.

Kirt
05-21-2002, 06:42 PM
Thanks KOryH ... I realize there's a few problems still. This isn't much more than a sketch at this point. Her torso and neck seem a bit long to me also, which I'll probably adjust a bit in the next drawing. The face was contorted a bit to try and show that scared rabbit expression on her face. Maybe I pushed it a bit to far? :surprised

KOryH
05-21-2002, 07:36 PM
I liked the long neck. It makes her look more tree like. Very vertical. I was always a fan of mannerism.

Koma
05-21-2002, 11:57 PM
wow nice start

ashecorbin
05-22-2002, 12:27 AM
It looks to me that all of her parts are in good proportion for a nice, stylized approach to the topic.

I say don't change a thing about this rough sketch - can't wait to see the final draft.

Good luck!

-Mike
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~mcl23

Kirt
05-23-2002, 07:42 PM
Trying to add more character to my tree.

KOryH
05-23-2002, 08:44 PM
Oh yeah that's looking good. I can almost see this as a Waterhouse or Alma-Tadema painting maybe even a little Bouguereau.

and for inspiration
http://www.artrenewal.org/museum/contents.html

See ya!

jeroentje
05-23-2002, 09:57 PM
Going great! :thumbsup:

Just a little thing on the lady: her upper arm seems a bit tiny. She'll look better if you give her a bit more bicep. That will solve the problem with the hole between her leftarm and -boob aswell.

Only as positive crittics, in no way whatsoever meant to burn it down. :)
jeroentje

btw, I thought, seeing your 2nd sketch, that she was like transformed with the tree. I liked that idea.

Kirt
05-23-2002, 10:38 PM
I thought about that ... having her hide within/as a part of the tree, but then it didn't make much sense to me if she was trying to get away from the lumberjacker.

As it is she'll be very tree-like when I get to coloring her. I'm going to give her a wooden surface and her hair (don't know if you can see this) is made up of branches and leaves. The cut in her leg will look like someone actually cut into a tree.

You're right about the arm. I'll fix that in the final.

ashecorbin
05-23-2002, 10:45 PM
and yeah, her hair does look like branches and leaves... kinda like vines as well.

cool concept

Kirt
05-24-2002, 08:00 AM
I pretty much have the composition set up the way I want it now. Just getting some more details in the image. It may be a little perplexing to look at right now, but that should all change once I start on the colors.

At right is the lumberjacker (obviously) and you can see his jeep in the distance (close to the Dryad's head). I'm going to add more plants and trees to the right side. My plan is to start coloring this weekend.

*crosses fingers*

KOryH
05-24-2002, 03:22 PM
Well, I hate to talk about compositions and stuff now that you are this far along. But, I will throw this out anyway. Maybe the cut could be on her arm and she could be clutching it. It would lend itself to a much nicer pose. I feel the seeing the Jeep in the distance through the tree is a little awkward. I would think there would be a lot of trees and foliage that would block that view. On the other hand, you could show stumps and debris and ravaged forest, as if we are on the border of the cut zone. Hmm, might work for story telling.
Well just thinking out loud (while typing)
Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see this.
BTW did you check out that link? I personally feel EVERY artist here should have it book marked!

Kirt
05-24-2002, 10:00 PM
Well ... If you cut a tree at it's base and it suddenly changed into a woman, would the cut be on the leg or arm? Made more sense to me to have it on her leg. Also, there's more meat on her legs and I'm afraid a cut to the arm would sever it *ouch*.

I'm not sure I'll leave the jeep there because it will probably look odd like you suggested. Probably should have lots of foilage to block that view. I'll try it with the jeep, and if it doesn't work I'll cover it up.

Thanks for the ideas, but I'm going to leave it the way it is for now.

And yes, I did check out that link. Very nice stuff there ... if only I could paint that well. I'm not much of a painter ... I'll probably make a mess of this picture when I get into the colors.

Oh well, it's a learning experience right?

KOryH
05-24-2002, 10:57 PM
Cool, go for it!

I guess you are right about the arm.

lotsa cows huh?
sounds like Chino or Corona.

Sleepless
05-25-2002, 02:36 AM
Great idea and nice drawing. Looking forward to see the way you blend her and the tree together.

Kirt
05-29-2002, 07:27 PM
Ghah ... I'm not happy with my image. I'm thinking it's not enchanted enough. After looking at everyone elses stuff, I'm just in awe. This is the only part I'm thinking of keeping at the moment. The rest ... I dunno.

norman619
05-29-2002, 08:04 PM
testing

KOryH
05-29-2002, 08:17 PM
I know!
add some glowing things!
glowing things always make stuff look more magical or enchanted. That's what I did.:p

sean_G
05-30-2002, 06:59 AM
i like your illustration technique. i agree with kory glowing things help the enchantment, and bit of fog+volumic light diffusion ( when you get to colouring) would give some chiarescuro, and thus an ethereal , and posessed look to the environment.
really stong lines and emotive posture though. i like your piece

Sangotten
05-30-2002, 03:28 PM
Well I think it looks cool, it doesn't scream of the screen that it is enchanted but certainly has a feeling of magic and wonder, I think that once you start colouring you can add lot's of little sparkles or lights around her....

I think you are doing a great job and that you should start colouring!

:thumbsup: :beer:

elfufu
05-30-2002, 07:36 PM
i find naked tree women enchanting enough.. just put a bunch of more naked girls. :love:

Kirt
05-30-2002, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the replies/suggestions ...

To make this more enchanted, I think I'm going to replace the human lumberjacker with some creature lumberjackers. I started some creature designs this morning but didn't have time to post an update.

I really should start coloring this soon, only about 4 weeks left and at the pace I'm going I'll be lucky to finish on time. I would give my left arm to be able to work as quickly as KOryH does. Absolutely amazing what he can do on a lunch break. Doesn't it just make you sick? Hehehehe

I've been avoiding adding glowing things just because everyone else is doing it. We'll see how long I can resist the temptation to do them anyway.:hmm:

Tommy Lee
05-31-2002, 01:03 AM
Hi Kirt!

This looks fantastic till now. I love your style....

May be we should do a cooperative work sometimes.

No crit now, wait for the colored on.

Keep on:applause:

Tommy Lee

Kirt
05-31-2002, 04:31 AM
:wavey: Hey Tommy Lee,

A cooperative work sounds like fun ... but let me get this challenge done first. And ... no clowns! Not that I don't like your work, but I really don't like clowns *shudders*

:eek:

Kirt
05-31-2002, 08:27 AM
The creature design I was referring to ...

Tommy Lee
05-31-2002, 02:34 PM
Hi Kirt!

Ok... no clowns! I promise!

After this challenge, we will do something....

Maybe I will do a challengework to. I like enchanted Forests.

Laterz dude

Tommy Lee:bounce:

KOryH
05-31-2002, 04:22 PM
I like your style.
this could be really cool.

Azure
05-31-2002, 04:23 PM
Yes indeed, i love your style. This looks great:thumbsup:

~A~

ZrO-1
05-31-2002, 06:52 PM
Man, annother fantastic piece. I really regret not coming over to the 3D - 1 ;) section sooner. I really like your piece.

I like the idea of "modern man destroying magic as well as the enviroment" theme you have in the earlier stages. I also like the more magical (and a bit less uncomfortable) version with the troll/goblyn as the lumberjack.

GREAT work so far. :love: :applause:

elfufu
06-01-2002, 01:15 AM
i like the goblin alot better than the guy, however i think the idea was better with the guy. but visually the goblin is executed alot better.

Kirt
06-02-2002, 10:27 AM
I've made a quick and rough composition of pieces here. This is where I'm heading now with this image. I'll add at least one more of these little luberjacking guys and finish up some more. Next update will have colors started, I swear! 2 weeks on layout ... I need to use the next 4 weeks to finish it up.

Sleepless
06-04-2002, 03:49 AM
This is a really nice drawing.

I like the creature, another one would be fun too. Maybe the second creature could be used to help push the depth of the piece, either close up or farther away.

It finally came to me what the woman figure reminded me of, check out a few paintings by Thomas Hart Benton for inspiration. He was always kinda creepy and did wonders with distorting the perspective.

Kirt
06-04-2002, 07:16 AM
Hmmm ... If I'm looking at the right examples, I don't think I want to push the depth of my illustration that far back. Thomas Hart Benton's work really goes into infinity on a couple illustrations that I saw. My image will end about 50 yards back where the vegetation and growth blocks the view.

I did make an adjustment when I added the 2nd creature. They will be positioned back a bit farther so they don't appear on the same plane as the girl. I'd show you but I promised the next update would have color. ;)

Sleepless
06-04-2002, 01:28 PM
(Hmmm ... If I'm looking at the right examples, I don't think I want to push the depth of my illustration that far back. Thomas Hart Benton's work really goes into infinity on a couple illustrations that I saw.)

You're right.

I kinda jumped topics there in my post. When talking about Benton, I was just thinking about the woman and the tree part of your piece not implying you should use that much depth.

Can't wait to see color, this is good stuff.

Sleepless

Tommy Lee
06-05-2002, 01:02 AM
Yeah!!!!

This would be great:applause: :applause:

Canīt wait to see more:thumbsup:

jeroentje
06-05-2002, 11:28 AM
Start coloring dammit! :mad: ;) :)
Please please please finish it. It could be so great!
jeroentje

Kirt
06-08-2002, 09:44 PM
Because jeroentje sounds so impatient ...

I've started some colors. I figured I'd show this one to display the changes I made to my lizardmen. Still far from finished, but I'll be working on it quite a bit this weekend.

Colors of the lizardmen will probably change. They'll blend too much with the green and browns in the image. They might be red or blue by the time I'm done.

jeroentje
06-08-2002, 09:52 PM
Very glad you decided not to dump it.

Your lizardmen look fantastic, but what happened to the girl?
Curious about the punchline; I mean, whats making him stop the other one? :)

jeroentje :beer:

Kirt
06-08-2002, 10:01 PM
She's still there off to the left of the image. This image is actual size. The reason I didn't include the rest is because nothing has really changed with the rest of the image.

The actions of the crouching lizardman will become more clear later.

Kirt
06-09-2002, 02:29 AM
Is this blue & purple better?

MonkeyBoy
06-09-2002, 02:45 AM
Yeah, looks good. Blue/purple contrasts more w/ the green forest: i.e. they are outsiders. Maybe make them even colder-coloured, and the forest warmer? Having said that, I'd want to see it with the rest of the scene.... Really nice characters - like the lower jaw.

hypercube
06-09-2002, 02:46 AM
Missed commenting on this one so far, just wanted to say very cool stuff, like how it's developed, and the main char remains great. The lizard guys are rocking as well. Love the designs.

While they looked awesome in green, I think the purple makes them both more badass and also anti-forest..

I'll retreat back to 3d land, had to give props :D Look forward to seeing it all come together.

ashecorbin
06-09-2002, 05:45 AM
why not use red instead of green?

I think that would contrast more...

great stuff though, can't wait to see the completed work.

Tommy Lee
06-09-2002, 04:43 PM
You are amazing me... dammit ya great.

Like the blue ones more, they look more dangerous.

Cant wait to do some cooparative with ya, maybe a comic or something....woooooooooooohoooooooooooo!!!!:applause: :applause:

More, more, moooooooooooooore!!!!!:thumbsup:

Cheerz

Tommy Lee:twisted:

Sleepless
06-10-2002, 07:00 AM
Blue-Purple works great. I agree about them contrasting with the forest, being outsiders. Plus you can move some of this reflected color into the woman. This looking really good:airguitar

Kirt
06-10-2002, 07:22 AM
Bleah ... I ran out of time this weekend and didn't get to work on it much. But, here's the whole scene as I have it composited so far. As you can see ... I didn't finish drawing it yet either. But, don't worry, I got a good image of it in my head and I'll get it all together in time for the deadline (unless I get hit by a bus or something really bad). :)

Tommy Lee
06-10-2002, 11:47 AM
We all hope u are not gonna hit by bus:shame:

Keep goin man!!!

Gamoron
06-11-2002, 03:56 PM
Fantastic detailing Kirt. Yours looks like a lot of work is going into it. Waiting for more.

sophist
06-11-2002, 04:51 PM
Hey Kirt,

I Think we're all hoping to see more on the development of that scene! :bounce:

And hopes for us?

And by the way, I prefer the purple-blue ones...

Gamoron
06-12-2002, 03:18 PM
Update needed. :bounce: Stick with the blue and purple.

Kirt
06-12-2002, 08:59 PM
Yes, an update is needed. Been busy with a few other projects and [bleah] my crappy night job. I'll get an update in the next couple days.

Kirt
06-15-2002, 10:49 PM
It's starting to come together now. Getting that fantasy/enchanted look I think. I'll be adding more trees to the background to get that forested look.

If you'd like to see the details in this picture ... here's a link (http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/wip-full.jpg) to the full size image.

Kirt
06-16-2002, 07:59 AM
http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/wip012.jpg

Making some progress now. See full sized image here (http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/wip-full.jpg).

Tommy Lee
06-16-2002, 02:51 PM
HolySHIT!!!!!! Damn that becomes fantastic:applause:

Absolutly nothing to crit now!

GO;GO;GO!!!!!!

Gamoron
06-16-2002, 10:55 PM
Looking fabulous Kirt! I'm not gonna say anymore. I want to see MORE first.

keep it up:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ZrO-1
06-17-2002, 01:20 AM
Great update bro!!! The piece is really coming together! I love the way you layed out the land between and behind the two areas of focus. Really really good stuff.

Kirt
06-17-2002, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Next update should have the beginnings of that Dryad colored and textured.

Is it just me or has this 2D challenge forum slowed down since Sleepless and KOryH finished up thier pieces? Just curious ...

Tommy Lee
06-18-2002, 05:26 AM
I agree with ya , Kirt. But I dontīt see a reason why???

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

What the heck!

Keep going Kirt!!!!:applause:

Tommy Lee:twisted:

jeroentje
06-18-2002, 10:50 AM
...but it's better to be viewed by a small, yet appreciating audience, then by a large and ignorant one :)

I'm working on a second entry, with a complete style-turnover :drumrock:

jeroentje

BTW, how many times can I tell you your entry rocks Kirt, without getting boring? :buttrock:

JasonD
06-20-2002, 08:13 PM
hey kirt maybe it's just me but it doesn't seem like there is alot of brush or whatever between her and the monsters.... kinda looks like they could just look over there and see her.. just my opinion..other then that it looks amazing, keep up the awesome work... oh by the way I'm new here so hi everyone :rolleyes:

Kirt
06-20-2002, 09:27 PM
Welcome to CGTalk JasonD! I think you're right about the shrubs blocking their view and I pretty much knew about that already. I'll try to build up those plants a little bit, but I'm running out of time and don't think it'll change much from what I have here already.

I tried to separate them a bit with distance so it didn't appear like they were right next to each other. I suppose for the sake of argument I can say that they're incredibly dumb creatures with vision problems. But, that just seems like a cop out. :)

Kirt
07-01-2002, 09:12 AM
:hmm: Sorry, didn't get it finished on time. Missed the deadline too ... but here's my entry.

http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/wip013.jpg

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Tommy Lee
07-01-2002, 11:31 AM
I see ya talent and excelent technic.:thumbsup: Thats enough for me!!!
Absolutly great Pic. Here are my 4 Stars for ya( just 4 because you donīt finish it):applause:

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

Sangotten
07-01-2002, 12:24 PM
It's a shame you didn't finish cause I was really looking forward to yours... Well atleast you've finished a part which looks great!!!

:thumbsup:

Sleepless
07-01-2002, 02:12 PM
I knew you must have gotten swamped with some other stuff, What you've finished has turned out great. There's always time to go back to it.....:bounce:

Kirt
07-01-2002, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys! Yeah, I got swamped with other work and I'm a bit dissappointed that I couldn't finish it on time. I'm still working on it. You can see the progress I got done (and my very sloppy work on the Dryad) if you click the [super-sized] link below in my signature.

Oh ACK!! I just noticed that they linked to my un-finished full size image on the voting poll. Oh well ... I suppose KOryH will steal all the votes on this one anyway. :)

Gamoron
07-01-2002, 04:10 PM
Aw that really sucks Kirt. It's an incredible piece all the same.:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.