PDA

View Full Version : best UV/texturing solution with MR subdivs

Gal
01-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey guys.
I have a question about the best character texturing/rendering workflow with zbrush/maya when mental ray is the render engine.
My question is, how do you go about texturing high res chars without losing data in the end or at least losing as little as possible.
let me explain,

the problem: Maya and mental ray ,when using displacements, will subdivide/tessellate your model and smooth your UVS while doing so. As far as i know both the new CCmesh and the old subdiv type do this(not to mention create seams in uv borders if one uses the ccmesh type).
(if anyone knows the solution to be able to use CC mesh type in maya/mr without getting artifacts/smooth mismatch i would really like to know)

this means if you model in zb with smooth uvs on, your uv smoothing for the last level in zb will not match the smoothing done by maya/mr when displaced. this means losing details or stretching for your details AND even more important your textures.

if we UV the lowest level(whatever we decide it will be, the base level to render from zb(either lvl 0,1,2 etc) or a retopologized surface.. and use that with smooth uv off to create the higher levels. maya/mr will still smooth the uvs and distort details both in the textures(color,normal,bump) when using approx subdiv node.
not to mention painting on a none smoothed uv layout of a higher level to create your color maps without a 3d painter is.. difficult. and i am trying to avoid using a 3d painter/zbrush zapplink and etc.

So, since we got some very experienced folks here. i would really like to know your approach to this issue. once finished modeling how do you go about setting your uv/texturing and render workflow to avoid this problem?

thanks, gal.

oglu
01-16-2010, 08:45 PM
if you are looking for real texturing use mudbox or bodypaint...
and here is an tutorial on how to avoid some problems...
this workflow can also used with z...
http://www.pixelcg.com/blog/?p=419

Gal
01-16-2010, 11:48 PM
you missed my point. didnt ask about how to texture, infact i pointed out i do not want to use a 3d painter. but that's not the issue anyway
the issue is MR will smooth your uvs/model and details on your texture will NOT fit to your painted map/uv layout on the lower level. so how do you avoid it and be able to texture and keep your details as you painted them.

oglu
01-17-2010, 07:39 AM
in the video above are also some mr rendering tipps...

paint your smoothed model in mudbox...
should be no problem cause mudbox is using renderman uv smoothing if you turn it on...
and the smooth uv problem is one point in this tutorial here...
http://www.pixelcg.com/blog/?p=185

sdserbos
01-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Oh... nice. Another hijacked thread. A question about ZBrush with an answer about Mudbox. That's really useful.

oglu
01-19-2010, 08:25 AM
in these tutorial above are also infos you could use with brush...
and feel free to give a more zbrushy answer if you have one...

Raphaeltm
01-23-2010, 06:24 PM
I believe this will help.

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Maya_2008

-Raphael

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2010, 06:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.