PDA

View Full Version : Frequently Asked Questions

Pages : [1] 2 3

salmonmoose
01-15-2010, 05:54 AM
For questions/answers on the Challenge, please post here...

1. Please read the instructions before posting here.

2. Please help us to answer questions. If you see a question already answered, please refer the person to that answer so that we don't keep repeating ourselves.

Challenge-Specific

Q: Do I need a paid CGSociety membership?

A: Not at all! Our CGChallenges are open to all CGTalkers. If you don't already have a free account, get one here (http://www.cgsociety.org/join/).

Q: How early do I have to start submitting milestones?

A: As early as possible. Although there is no due date earlier than the final closing date, part of the final judging vote puts emphasis on Community Interaction, which means that people who 'hold back' their work in progress till the last minute can be penalized.

Q: Can we work in teams? What about pairs?

A: Yes, teams can submit to the video category. See also the Looking For Group (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=236&t=609378) thread.

Q: I'm using a new email but the challenge keeps sending stuff to my old one. How do I fix that?

A: You go into CGTalk's UserCP (User Control Panel) and change your email address there. If you still have problems, email me.

Q: What if I am a winner and I want a different prize? E.g. What if I win the Grand Prize but I want the Runner Up prize instead?

A: You can contact the other winner with the prize that you want, and ask if they want to do an exchange. What you guys do with your prizes is up to you, and we're not going to be involved in it.

Q: How do I actually enter the competition?

A: Go to the challenge site and click on "Enter The Challenge". Upload your pictures through the challenge site submission ("Submit Your Entry") or the CGChallenge Uploader.

Q: How I can get out of this challenge?

A: Just stop submitting.

Q: Can I have multiple entries?

A: Not in a single category. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter multiple categories.

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?

A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. It allows us to track the entries properly, and guarantee continued hosting of all images.

Technical

Q: Are random or parametric terrain and foliage/plant generation software (Bryce/Vue/Terragen) allowed?

A: Yes

Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?

A: Yes. This is no different from using your own pre-built models or the parametric models now availble in most 3D systems. However you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique?

Q: Can I use a trial version of a software?

A: Yes. We don't care. The final image must not have watermarks on it.

Q: The guidelines in the instructions says that the resolution for the final image should be at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait). Why do you need such a high resolution for?

A: We want to train people to create artwork for print - suddenly detailed textures and meshes are important in the creation of your art! We also like encouraging people to submit their art for Ballistic Publishing books, like EXPOSÉ.

Q: What resolution do you want the final image to be exactly? What about if we make the image a different aspect ratio and orientation?

A: That's cool, just make it big enough to fill a full page in an A4-sized book. Or make it bigger, even!

Q: Because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all together later?

A: Yes. This is how professionals work -- you should use every tool and technique availble in the best way possible.

Q: Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?

A: If it is watermarked then yes. Otherwise, no.

Q: Is it ok to use vray, RenderMan or 3rd party renderers for rendering?

A: Yes -- you are free to use any software you like.

Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project....is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background....like a matte painting?

A: Yes. You should always use every tool that is apropriate in the best way possible.

Q: Are we allowed to use web downloaded textures?

A: Yes, but you must credit everything you use. Anyone caught not crediting material, contributors or inspirational works will be disqualified.

LadyMedusa
01-18-2010, 06:52 AM
sigh.. I got an error when trying to enter.
Its my surname again. Damn Apostophe.

This is the error-message I got:
Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Este', 1263800662, 304, 1, 'LadyMedusa', 127659, 'LadyMedusa', 1

This always happens :'(

rendermann
01-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Hello, my name is Jose and I have a question. Can I use a model that I currently have in the gallery of works in progress?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=841259&highlight=BRAINBOT

Thanks and sorry for my english.

robo3687
01-18-2010, 10:14 AM
for a bit of random b-movie name inspiration heres a few generators

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/gens/bmovie.html
http://www.gandronics.com/bmovie.php

kricke
01-18-2010, 10:57 AM
hi.
A question
is it ok for a friend to make music and sound for the film even if you are entering the Individual video?
i mean sound is so different from 3D so its hard to do it good.

paperclip
01-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Is it OK to use photographs as long as I take them myself? I'm thinking of making a collage style painting, sort of like a matte painting. Is this submissible?

hockey1237
01-18-2010, 02:09 PM
I already know I probably can't use this idea, but I thought I'd ask anyway just to help me through my concept art...

Is using any form of the silhouettes from Mystery Science Theater 3000 off limits because of copyrights? I was thinking of doing a movie theater scene with my B-Movie up on screen, and then adding the MST3k characters in the front row.

unwrap
01-18-2010, 09:23 PM
So the video has to look like a b-movie and include a 50' monster at the same time or just look like a b-movie? :shrug:

is it ok for a friend to make music and sound for the film even if you are entering the Individual video? i mean sound is so different from 3D so its hard to do it good.

I think that could count as a team work.

salmonmoose
01-18-2010, 09:34 PM
sigh.. I got an error when trying to enter.
Its my surname again. Damn Apostophe.

This is the error-message I got:
Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Este', 1263800662, 304, 1, 'LadyMedusa', 127659, 'LadyMedusa', 1

This always happens :'(

I'll try and track this down, it shouldn't be happening anymore - in the mean time, sign up without an apostrophe, we won't disqualify you for that ;)

salmonmoose
01-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Hello, my name is Jose and I have a question. Can I use a model that I currently have in the gallery of works in progress?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=841259&highlight=BRAINBOT

Thanks and sorry for my english.

Yes - so long as we see workings for the rest of the project.

salmonmoose
01-18-2010, 09:36 PM
hi.
A question
is it ok for a friend to make music and sound for the film even if you are entering the Individual video?
i mean sound is so different from 3D so its hard to do it good.

Yes, but you will not be eligible for the sound-music portion - or, you can enter as a team, and you will be eligible.

salmonmoose
01-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Is it OK to use photographs as long as I take them myself? I'm thinking of making a collage style painting, sort of like a matte painting. Is this submissible?

Keep in mind this is a "CG" Challenge, photos are fine, but if the image is not significantly "CG" you're not likely to win any prizes :)

salmonmoose
01-18-2010, 09:39 PM
I already know I probably can't use this idea, but I thought I'd ask anyway just to help me through my concept art...

Is using any form of the silhouettes from Mystery Science Theater 3000 off limits because of copyrights? I was thinking of doing a movie theater scene with my B-Movie up on screen, and then adding the MST3k characters in the front row.

Probably not wise, although you could use your own characters in the same concept without pushing copyright.

khendar
01-18-2010, 09:39 PM

I would say that would be copyrighted, and hence not allowable.

salmonmoose
01-18-2010, 09:40 PM
So the video has to look like a b-movie and include a 50' monster at the same time or just look like a b-movie? :shrug:

No, it just has to look like a b-movie - the 50-foot challenge was just us having a bit of fun and a way of explaining the concept of what a b-movie was to those who aren't aware.

paperclip
01-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Keep in mind this is a "CG" Challenge, photos are fine, but if the image is not significantly "CG" you're not likely to win any prizes :)

It's more fun painting anyway. :D (P.S- How could you tell it wasn't a photo? ;)

G-FLUX
01-18-2010, 11:31 PM
I read in the rules that we couldn't have a political theme. What if my idea is more satirical, sort of making fun of politics rather than trying to promote a specific agenda. For example, I had this really cool idea and I want to ask before I get started on it and not be eligible to compete. Anyway my idea is to illustrate a scene where you see these Gigantic Godzilla like figures of George W. Bush, Barrak H. Obama, Bill Clinton, and Daddy Bush shooting fire out of their mouths, burning Washington DC to ashes. Do you think I would be good, or will I be instantly disqualified?

unwrap
01-18-2010, 11:45 PM
I read in the rules that we couldn't have a political theme. What if my idea is more satirical, sort of making fun of politics rather than trying to promote a specific agenda. For example, I had this really cool idea and I want to ask before I get started on it and not be eligible to compete. Anyway my idea is to illustrate a scene where you see these Gigantic Godzilla like figures of George W. Bush, Barrak H. Obama, Bill Clinton, and Daddy Bush shooting fire out of their mouths, burning Washington DC to ashes. Do you think I would be good, or will I be instantly disqualified?

Disquilified or not I wouldn't recommend going with such idea. It's too cliché, if you know what I mean. But that's my personal opinion, what do I know.

G-FLUX
01-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Usually by the time I do get an original idea, the contest is already over? Lol I figure I would spend most of my time rendering it rather than wasting a lot of time racking my brain trying to come up with what I think is original. Now that I think about it though I'm probably going to stay away from political figures all together. Too divisive, and I have a feeling that I would probably be instantly disqualified. LOL

mirrored
01-19-2010, 02:28 AM
Hi, i have a couple of good ideas, for the same movie, 1982 John Carpenter`s remake THE THING, here are my questions.

- If i want to do a video entry, may i complete a sequence for the movie (cut creature shots, originals were done in stop motion, but finally were cut from the final film) and mix the final product with the original movie shots and the ones i created?. The final entry will be less than 1 minute of the original movie footage and the completed shots by me. right issues?

- If i want to do a Image entry, may i take an unused storyboard shot and reimagine it, basically take the cut storyboard shot and build it from the ground up in 3d designing all that needs to be designed (because is a quick storyboard shot, but can make an awesome image with the right amount of work).

- THE THING is a B-movie, as much i wont like to call it a B-movie, cause is my favorite, but is this particular movie allowed? or 1986 David Cronenberg´s THE FLY?.

cheers,

Mirrored.

SciFibrow
01-19-2010, 02:30 AM
Hi,

I was wondering. Would it be okay to use a concept from a movie I've written myself, and already done a couple of versions of the design for? If so, can the one or two original versions of the design be posted as reference pics from the b-movie as part of the making of? It will definitely be developed much further, as they were fairly simple drawings with little surface detail and the final image will be a detailed action shot/painting.

I think the film would be considered B-movie material (has a very simple plot: hero, crazy alien world, rampaging monsters, save the world scenario etc).

salmonmoose
01-19-2010, 02:57 AM

I would suggest you use indistinct people who are obviously representative of politicians - keep in mind that if you (a you suggest here) pick on specifically US politics (or anywhere else) that could also offend some groups.

salmonmoose
01-19-2010, 03:01 AM
If i want to do a video entry, may i complete a sequence for the movie (cut creature shots, originals were done in stop motion, but finally were cut from the final film) and mix the final product with the original movie shots and the ones i created?. The final entry will be less than 1 minute of the original movie footage and the completed shots by me. right issues?

There's obviously some IP issues here, and although it may well fall under "fair use" you're not going to win many points for originality if it's a shot for shot remake.

If i want to do a Image entry, may i take an unused storyboard shot and reimagine it, basically take the cut storyboard shot and build it from the ground up in 3d designing all that needs to be designed (because is a quick storyboard shot, but can make an awesome image with the right amount of work).

That's fine.

THE THING is a B-movie, as much i wont like to call it a B-movie, cause is my favorite, but is this particular movie allowed? or 1986 David Cronenberg´s THE FLY?.

We'd prefer you made up your own concept, even if it's influenced by these films.

salmonmoose
01-19-2010, 03:02 AM
Hi,

I was wondering. Would it be okay to use a concept from a movie I've written myself, and already done a couple of versions of the design for? If so, can the one or two original versions of the design be posted as reference pics from the b-movie as part of the making of? It will definitely be developed much further, as they were fairly simple drawings with little surface detail and the final image will be a detailed action shot/painting.

I think the film would be considered B-movie material (has a very simple plot: hero, crazy alien world, rampaging monsters, save the world scenario etc).

Sounds good to me, why aren't you done yet? :D

mirrored
01-19-2010, 03:10 AM
Thanks Salmonmoose, i understand. Yeah, maybe the inspiration is the best way to go, not rebuild the direct material you are trying to homage.

Thanks again.

ranaazeem
01-19-2010, 06:14 AM
do i have to use some external image hosting services to upload images to my thread?

salmonmoose
01-19-2010, 06:21 AM
do i have to use some external image hosting services to upload images to my thread?

No, use the submit entry page, we host images for you (unless you want to make posts with more than one image).

ranaazeem
01-19-2010, 06:28 AM
thanks for the quick reply

csmallfield
01-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Would it be possible to crop or reposition that huge Stahlberg picture that is on the challenge's front page? It's a fine picture and all but it prevents me from passing it on to co-workers and to upload WIP entries during lunch. Okay, it doesn't prevent me, but it's awkward to have such a crotch-centric image on my screen. I'm sure others have a similar issue. Just a thought.

ranaazeem
01-19-2010, 09:58 AM
same here!
agree!

DarrinH
01-19-2010, 02:31 PM
I saw in the rules that all team members must be CGTalk member, but must all team members enter the competition and start an entry page or should the team leader just do that?

tommix
01-19-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't know if it's the right place in this forum, but I would to show you my image for the challenge 'Accident' on *******: 'did you fill up the tank on mars?'
It took the 3rd place..
I think this could be much inspirational... ;-)

Final entry: http://www.tommasosanguigni.it/upload/t_sanguigni_accident.jpg

Enjoy!

salmonmoose
01-19-2010, 07:50 PM
I saw in the rules that all team members must be CGTalk member, but must all team members enter the competition and start an entry page or should the team leader just do that?

If you go through the instructions on the team page it should outline what needs to happen - a team leader needs to start the challenge, and then invite other members to join their group.

rubyscooby
01-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Hi This looks like a fun challenge
Here are some websites I found to inspire

http://www.atomicpinup.com/MoviePosters.html
http://abduzeedo.com/old-school-b-movies-posters
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2009/05/thrilling-vintage-movie-posters.html

rubyscooby
01-19-2010, 10:38 PM
http://www.cinemacom.com/50s-sci-fi-REST.html

AMDx64BT
01-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Is very gore style (like Braindead, Evil Dead, etc) permitted ?

kigosa
01-20-2010, 05:30 PM
thanks for this challenge, very nice topic. i hope we are not bound to do a b-movie style. what i am going to show is the b-movie director and his "famous" b-movie actor as they try to get a scene done, well and something else odd will be in there to.

here is my previz of the scene i am going to create.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=845014

i hope this approach is not to diffrent, but since it is dealing with b-movie and i really love the idea sofar, i think i would do this artwork no matter what... but i would appreciate your opinion.

thanks in advance

JurajMolcak
01-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Hey,

Curious to know, How far can we go with blood, violence, nakedness, explicitness... in our entries? There are obviously few kinds of B-movies and some of them are on the edge however still cheesy. What if I want to have half-naked woman in the movie, or maybe something in the style of that Stahlberg poster? When it is still and illustrated maybe it has a bit different character than movie footage. You know, some of the B-things are pretty atractive and catchy to watch :)

igorsandman
01-20-2010, 07:47 PM
I have a couple of questions about the video entries:

1. Are sponsors allowed? (meaning getting money from a company and showing their name and website in the credits)

2. In the case of a live action film with a whole crew working on it, is it considered a team entry or is it still individual. I'm assuming it's considered an individual entry since I'm the director and the only one taking decisions for the final look of the film and for the technical aspect. But if it is considered a team entry do they all have to register on the boards, actors, crew and all or credits is enough?

Thanks
-IS-

Staszek
01-20-2010, 07:55 PM
is it possible to have HD resolution for video category ? or any bit bigger in wide than 640px ?

salmonmoose
01-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Is very gore style (like Braindead, Evil Dead, etc) permitted ?

Yes.

With Leigh and myself as judges, possibly even encouraged. Please wrap it in a warning for the more sensitive souls on our site though :)

salmonmoose
01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
thanks for this challenge, very nice topic. i hope we are not bound to do a b-movie style. what i am going to show is the b-movie director and his "famous" b-movie actor as they try to get a scene done, well and something else odd will be in there to.

here is my previz of the scene i am going to create.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=845014

i hope this approach is not to diffrent, but since it is dealing with b-movie and i really love the idea sofar, i think i would do this artwork no matter what... but i would appreciate your opinion.

thanks in advance

Looks fine - pushing the envelope is always encouraged :)

salmonmoose
01-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Hey,

Curious to know, How far can we go with blood, violence, nakedness, explicitness... in our entries? There are obviously few kinds of B-movies and some of them are on the edge however still cheesy. What if I want to have half-naked woman in the movie, or maybe something in the style of that Stahlberg poster? When it is still and illustrated maybe it has a bit different character than movie footage. You know, some of the B-things are pretty atractive and catchy to watch :)

CGSociety is an ART site.

If violence, gore, nudity, vulgarity are used to enhance the art (rather than "heheheheh boobies!") we'll not have a problem with it.

If it's not PG13, be polite and warn people :)

salmonmoose
01-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I have a couple of questions about the video entries:

1. Are sponsors allowed? (meaning getting money from a company and showing their name and website in the credits)

Let me get back to you on that one, my feeling is "no" as we'd effectively be the ones doing the advertising - but others may not have a problem - don't ask yet ;)

2. In the case of a live action film with a whole crew working on it, is it considered a team entry or is it still individual. I'm assuming it's considered an individual entry since I'm the director and the only one taking decisions for the final look of the film and for the technical aspect. But if it is considered a team entry do they all have to register on the boards, actors, crew and all or credits is enough?

Only digital contributors need to be listed as part of a team, this includes musicians/foley artists if you want to be in the running for the sound/music prize.

Actors, and crew need to be credited, and it'd be wise to have waivers et al. But they are not considered team members.

salmonmoose
01-20-2010, 08:50 PM
is it possible to have HD resolution for video category ? or any bit bigger in wide than 640px ?

Not as it stands - we're looking to shift to x264 for the next challenge.

mirrored
01-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi, i have a doubt, and i just wanna to take it out of my system, i think this was partially answered before, but i will make the full question because maybe other members are having the same doubt too.

The B-movie topic, takes inside the full range of cinema history, even for present day B-movies, not just 50`s 60`s movies. Is this correct?.

JurajMolcak
01-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks
-IS-

So you will be directing and taking decisions about the look and tech stuff, but who will work on the CG content, posproduction, editing? Will you do it yourself or will you have a bunch of artists working for you? Individual entry means an entry done by "only one visual artist", right?

AdamTSC
01-21-2010, 01:04 AM
I've tried joining both the individual image and video categories several times (both while logged in and not), and it keeps telling me my password is wrong. I know I've spelt it correctly because I am able to log into the forums. Not sure if it's related -- I can only log into the forums through the login boxes below the banners, not the one in the top right of the screen.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Adam

salmonmoose
01-21-2010, 04:25 AM
Hi, i have a doubt, and i just wanna to take it out of my system, i think this was partially answered before, but i will make the full question because maybe other members are having the same doubt too.

The B-movie topic, takes inside the full range of cinema history, even for present day B-movies, not just 50`s 60`s movies. Is this correct?.

Absolutely, you'll notice in the inspiration section we linked to "Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus" which saw release in 2009 :)

salmonmoose
01-21-2010, 04:28 AM
I've tried joining both the individual image and video categories several times (both while logged in and not), and it keeps telling me my password is wrong. I know I've spelt it correctly because I am able to log into the forums. Not sure if it's related -- I can only log into the forums through the login boxes below the banners, not the one in the top right of the screen.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Adam

Without revealing your password - are there any non alpha-numeric characters in it?

I've got a '^' in mine, but that's working ok.

If you can change passwords, that may help, your username seems normal enough.

Dextact
01-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Hi there, this sounds silly as i type this, but for individual video, i'm wondering if we have to create our own sound fx and music? Are we allowed to borrow scores and sound fx from old b movies as long as they are credited?

AMDx64BT
01-21-2010, 07:51 AM
During the contest is it possible to upload WIP videos in youtube or vimeo?

igorsandman
01-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Let me get back to you on that one, my feeling is "no" as we'd effectively be the ones doing the advertising - but others may not have a problem - don't ask yet ;)

Thanks for your fast reply. I understand your position hence my question ;-) I'm waiting for your final answer.
Thanks
-IS-

Pegahoul
01-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Hi, I just want to make sure: We're allowed to redesign, make art inspired by already existing B-movies or create our own concept, as long as it looks and feels suitable to the theme. Is this correct?
Thank you

mirrored
01-21-2010, 01:51 PM
;) thanks Salmonmoose.

shihar
01-21-2010, 01:53 PM
ok i have a question. lets say i found an old b-movie is it ok to create a new big budget, high quality, latest graphics style version of it.

Duracel
01-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Ok, its fine to do a movie-poster with a splatter-monster eating the starsandstripes or something.

Questions:
How important is the "movie" aspect ... is it better to make it as a poster, or is it no problem to show a non-movie scene like in any CG-challenge?

How important is the B-Movie in aspects of quality?
Can a high quality rendering miss the charm of a low-budget production?
Is an idea weaker, because its not that idiotic? I.e. a scene of a doctor creating a frankenstein-monster.
How much "trash" is necessary? (i.e. a doctor creating a big-banana-monster)
Is a movie like ResidentEvil enough B-Movie because there are zombies?
How important is "B"-movie or is it more to define the setting of all those different unnatural-mutated monsters.

Do you go for trash or for real horror?

salmonmoose
01-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Ok, its fine to do a movie-poster with a splatter-monster eating the starsandstripes or something.

Yes - although, I'm paranoid someone will take that the wrong way :)

How important is the "movie" aspect ... is it better to make it as a poster, or is it no problem to show a non-movie scene like in any CG-challenge?

A poster is kind of the easy way out - showing a scene from a movie that tells a story, or even removing it a step further will work in your favor for anyone who has just looked at 50 posters.

How important is the B-Movie in aspects of quality?

The challenge title is 'B-Movie' :) Whilst I encourage people to push the boundaries of what that means, if we have no idea how your image is relevant it's not going to do very well :)

Can a high quality rendering miss the charm of a low-budget production?

We're still going to be judging on skill and technique, the goal here is to use replicate the look and feel of B-Movies with the typically high standard of output that comes from CGChallenges.

Is an idea weaker, because its not that idiotic? I.e. a scene of a doctor creating a frankenstein-monster.

Not at all - there are some b-movies based around really good ideas, that were poorly executed, or had tight budget requirements.

How much "trash" is necessary? (i.e. a doctor creating a big-banana-monster)

None :)

Is a movie like ResidentEvil enough B-Movie because there are zombies?

I would say a movie like ResidentEvil is b-movie because of how horribly it is executed, but some people may have enjoyed it ;)

How important is "B"-movie or is it more to define the setting of all those different unnatural-mutated monsters.

B-Movies don't have to be monster films - I'd love to see someone do a bollywood film which would easily fall into this category, other than that, there's certainly b-movie fantasy films, and no doubt some very b-movie period pieces. If you stand out from the crowd, it's only going to do you favors.

salmonmoose
01-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Hi, I just want to make sure: We're allowed to redesign, make art inspired by already existing B-movies or create our own concept, as long as it looks and feels suitable to the theme. Is this correct?
Thank you

Yes, just don't replicate stuff frame by frame.

salmonmoose
01-21-2010, 09:48 PM
ok i have a question. lets say i found an old b-movie is it ok to create a new big budget, high quality, latest graphics style version of it.

Wouldn't be much of a b-movie then would it? We're looking for tacky, if you're going to use cutting edge techniques, use them to represent more primitive ones :)

salmonmoose
01-21-2010, 09:50 PM
During the contest is it possible to upload WIP videos in youtube or vimeo?

you can upload your work in progress anywhere you like.

Only files uploaded through our system will be judged however.

SciFibrow
01-22-2010, 01:02 AM
thanks Salmonmoose!

This is going to be a lot of fun. :)

salmonmoose
01-22-2010, 04:08 AM
Thanks for your fast reply. I understand your position hence my question ;-) I'm waiting for your final answer.
Thanks
-IS-

Ok - we're actually really interested in this idea - our biggest concern is that your sponsor may be in conflict with some of the companies that sponsor the challenge, and we'd prefer to not tread on any toes. So, if you can let us know who your sponsor is going to be, we'll try you out as a test-case for future challenges :)

igorsandman
01-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Ok - we're actually really interested in this idea - our biggest concern is that your sponsor may be in conflict with some of the companies that sponsor the challenge, and we'd prefer to not tread on any toes. So, if you can let us know who your sponsor is going to be, we'll try you out as a test-case for future challenges :)
Roger that. I'll contact you as soon as I have a sponsor opportunity.
Me beeing put in a test tube is so appropriate in a b-movie challenge :wise:
Thanks
-IS-

salmonmoose
01-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Roger that. I'll contact you as soon as I have a sponsor opportunity.
Me beeing put in a test tube is so appropriate in a b-movie challenge :wise:
Thanks
-IS-

As a guide - anyone who is in competition with one of our sponsors is probably a bad choice :)

Duracel
01-22-2010, 10:01 AM
thanks for yout long reply :)

TksDevil
01-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Hello I think these questions have been asked but for my own satisfaction please answer it
1) We can follow our own concept? Or do we have to specifically replicate an existing B movie?
2) Can we take an A grade Movie and make it feel like a B movie? Meaning let’s take James Bond OR pirate of the Caribbean and make a funnier poster which shows that that this movie is a B grade movie, is this allowed?
Regards

Consideringthepickle
01-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Just to make sure I understand the rules on publication of images:
I'm planning to base my image entry on a series I've been developing, and will be putting up online on my own website soon, so it'll have the same characters and general story as other artwork I'll be working on in parallel to the competition (I haven't started doing any of the artwork yet though). The way I understand the rules is that the image I use for my entry cannot be published anywhere but CGSociety until the end of the competition. I'm presuming this includes personal websites/portfolios etc. -Correct?
So can I do general concept art for characters/ settings/ etc. that will appear elsewhere on the web along with related content, as long as the image I choose for my entry is exclusively published on CGSociety?

fgdf
01-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Am I missing somethig or it is pointless to send 1280x1024 wip images as it is impossible to see it in this resolution. It's downsized and I can't find way to see full resolution? (NO link in thread or entry page goes to full res wips - been that way for past 2 challenges)
SC
_BB

khendar
01-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Am I missing somethig or it is pointless to send 1280x1024 wip images as it is impossible to see it in this resolution. It's downsized and I can't find way to see full resolution? (NO link in thread or entry page goes to full res wips - been that way for past 2 challenges)
SC
_BB

We've deliberately hidden the high resolution images from the general public because people were worried in the last couple of challenges about people stealing their full res images.

salmonmoose
01-23-2010, 10:31 AM
1) We can follow our own concept? Or do we have to specifically replicate an existing B movie?

Yep, your own idea will take you further :)

2) Can we take an A grade Movie and make it feel like a B movie? Meaning let’s take James Bond OR pirate of the Caribbean and make a funnier poster which shows that that this movie is a B grade movie, is this allowed?
Regards

This probably falls under "fair use" but personally, you're better off coming up with your own idea.

salmonmoose
01-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Just to make sure I understand the rules on publication of images:
I'm planning to base my image entry on a series I've been developing, and will be putting up online on my own website soon, so it'll have the same characters and general story as other artwork I'll be working on in parallel to the competition (I haven't started doing any of the artwork yet though). The way I understand the rules is that the image I use for my entry cannot be published anywhere but CGSociety until the end of the competition. I'm presuming this includes personal websites/portfolios etc. -Correct?
So can I do general concept art for characters/ settings/ etc. that will appear elsewhere on the web along with related content, as long as the image I choose for my entry is exclusively published on CGSociety?

This sounds ok - we're more concerned with print publication, and competing sites. Personal websites are fine - of course, publishing elsewhere on our site (including ballisticpublishing.com) isn't a problem at all.

Consideringthepickle
01-23-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm planning on making the related images available for sale in print through Deviant Art too like print on demand/ self-publishing. Would I still be in the clear with that?

fgdf
01-23-2010, 12:23 PM
We've deliberately hidden the high resolution images from the general public because people were worried in the last couple of challenges about people stealing their full res images.
I understand.
Can i upload high res render of my wips via imageshack to mirror challenge upload? I don't know if this is a violation of some kind in this situation.
Same image but in full res. I want to pack more objects and let people see some details.
_SC

Zabander
01-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Hello, i have a question, how can i remove a team member that doesnt want to continue in the challange, cant continue and we are just starting.

Thanks

grantmoore3d
01-23-2010, 08:51 PM
I am going to create the entire project except for audio. I intend to find an audio expert who can create what I require. The audio artist wouldn't have much say in the creative direction of the film, other than how they would approach creating matching sounds. Must I submit as a team or is this still considered an individual project?

I'm not really concerned with winning - would rather just focus on making something great - but I don't feel this would be a fair judgement when I'd be up against teams of artists working together on their production. Perhaps the audio can be considered as a separate entity for either category?

ladymaus
01-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Where is the challenge site you mentioned? Or can I just start my thread and post my entry?

salmonmoose
01-24-2010, 12:32 AM
I am going to create the entire project except for audio. I intend to find an audio expert who can create what I require. The audio artist wouldn't have much say in the creative direction of the film, other than how they would approach creating matching sounds. Must I submit as a team or is this still considered an individual project?

I'm not really concerned with winning - would rather just focus on making something great - but I don't feel this would be a fair judgement when I'd be up against teams of artists working together on their production. Perhaps the audio can be considered as a separate entity for either category?

We'll accept single person entries with someone else doing the sound, but they won't be eligible for the audio category.

salmonmoose
01-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Where is the challenge site you mentioned? Or can I just start my thread and post my entry?

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/b-movie

Zabander
01-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Hello, i wrote a question for u but i think u didnt see it,
here is it again

How can i remove a team member that doesnt want to continue in the challange, cant continue and we are just starting.

Thanks

JurajMolcak
01-24-2010, 04:37 PM
We'll accept single person entries with someone else doing the sound, but they won't be eligible for the audio category.

1.Only the musicians registered on CGTalk and teamed with gfx artist are eligible for audio category? So automaticaly such an entry is considered as the team entry? Is that correct or am I misunderstanding this?

2.What if I want to just credit my musician? Will jury know this is not to be considered as a team entry?

3.What if I go with my own music should I credit this for audio category?

Thanks.

salmonmoose
01-25-2010, 02:19 AM
1.Only the musicians registered on CGTalk and teamed with gfx artist are eligible for audio category? So automaticaly such an entry is considered as the team entry? Is that correct or am I misunderstanding this?

No, if you want to be considered for the Audio category you must either do the audio yourself, or as part of a team entry.

.What if I want to just credit my musician? Will jury know this is not to be considered as a team entry?

No, I go through ALL entries by hand and flag them for what their eligible for, unclear credits won't help.

3.What if I go with my own music should I credit this for audio category?

Yes, my default assumption will be external music unless specified otherwise.

salmonmoose
01-25-2010, 02:21 AM
Hello, i wrote a question for u but i think u didnt see it,
here is it again

How can i remove a team member that doesnt want to continue in the challange, cant continue and we are just starting.

Thanks

Not really - if you win, you'll be able to modify the team-list then, and you'll be distributing the prizes - so it's not incredibly important, unless the team member wants to join another team.

JurajMolcak
01-25-2010, 07:56 AM
No, if you want to be considered for the Audio category you must either do the audio yourself, or as part of a team entry.

I see, so I can have audio done by -external credited musician- and still stay in the individual category, but without a chance for best audio category. Thanks.

CARDANFX
01-25-2010, 12:41 PM

That is team work isn't it ?. It's like saying that I am going to make my video but some body else is going to do all the VFX. ( I won't be eligible just for the VFX category?).

Cheers!!!

CARDANFX
01-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Individual video category:

30 second commercial (Trailer).

Making of video for the skills awards I wish to be considered for.

Full lenght video 90 to 3 min (can this be a longer Trailer or it must be a complete story ?).

3 Videos in total right ?

Sorry but I didn't understand that part.

salmonmoose
01-26-2010, 06:17 AM
That is team work isn't it ?. It's like saying that I am going to make my video but some body else is going to do all the VFX. ( I won't be eligible just for the VFX category?).

Cheers!!!

If you can convince someone to do all the VFX work for you without any recompense, more power to you.

salmonmoose
01-26-2010, 06:19 AM
Individual video category:

30 second commercial (Trailer).

Making of video for the skills awards I wish to be considered for.

Full lenght video 90 to 3 min (can this be a longer Trailer or it must be a complete story ?).

3 Videos in total right ?

Sorry but I didn't understand that part.

Sounds like you understand perfectly.

3 Videos, preferably in one file, with the 30 second trailer first.

Jinian
01-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Not quite sure if this question has been covered before, but since your entry will be a 3d still image, is it okay then to do the majority of the textures and painting through post in PS and not have to 3d paint and texture the models.

EVH5150
01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi, I've little problem with the preview of my thread.

If I go to the page where there are all the partecipants, near my name I can't see my picture of the first post. How can I do?
if you need, this is the link of my thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=304&t=845753

thank you

Consideringthepickle
01-26-2010, 11:28 AM
I think you missed my follow-up question. If I sell print versions of artwork based on concepts related to my entry image such as on DeviantArt or CafePress, -self-publishing sites like that, would my entry still be eligible?
(I won't publish the entry image itself, but prints based on concept images and involving the same story and characters essentially that I'll be developing during the competition.)

-For the record my intent is to definitely try and do something that will be independent and unique for the competition, but ultimately based on the same story so a lot of the concept phase artwork I do will also go on to my personal sites and may be self-published.

Vampyrangel
01-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi,

Sorry forward: I am the second time at the challenges

A few questions:

* Must i describe a written short story?
* Must be the WIP images in highres?
* Must i upload WIP scetches or references?

What is the real action for my WIP process?

Sorry for my english. :)

LightSovereign
01-26-2010, 07:09 PM
I think you missed my follow-up question. If I sell print versions of artwork based on concepts related to my entry image such as on DeviantArt or CafePress, -self-publishing sites like that, would my entry still be eligible?
(I won't publish the entry image itself, but prints based on concept images and involving the same story and characters essentially that I'll be developing during the competition.)

-For the record my intent is to definitely try and do something that will be independent and unique for the competition, but ultimately based on the same story so a lot of the concept phase artwork I do will also go on to my personal sites and may be self-published.

this is interesting, to extend on this question, a few years ago i competed in the "Uplift Challenge"

where the particular rule for publishing outside cgtalk had been slightly re-worded.

in response to a query about doing so, i got this reply from a mod

If you compare Uplift to EON carefully, you'll see that we changed the wording of that rule slightly to try to help out people such as yourselves.

"Publishing" - on other online sites such as conceptart.org, deviantart, etc. - is fine.
"Printing" - eg. in a magazine or book - is what we're putting rules on.

Now the rule of posting outside of cgtalk hasn't changed since then. am i right in assuming that it is still o.k to "Publish" but not "Print" i have read through the earlier response in this thread and found it to be a little ambiguous as in you could read that there may have been a slight change to the rule.

thank you

Marley

BUZZFX
01-27-2010, 05:53 AM
For questions/answers on the Challenge, please post here...

Q: Can I have multiple entries?

A: Not in a single category. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter multiple categories.

Does this mean we can enter the same idea in both the image and video categories?

igorsandman
01-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Hello Anton,

A few days ago, I tried to send you an e-mail with the sponsors I'm thinking of.
Did your recieve my message?
Thanks
-IS-

arLutiK
01-27-2010, 06:34 PM
One question for the video challenge, a few weeks ago when I was in Roatan, I filmed while I was at 1500 feet in a cool sub (I'm using the model I made of it in my challenge). My question is can I use some of that footage for my challenge :)

harmless
01-27-2010, 10:46 PM
I seem unable to get any 640x480 flv video to embed in a webpage through the CGUploader. In my thread I have uploaded about 5 videos. I have tried different codecs, different flv programs, different videos, different computers, different operating systems, and they all have the same result -- a webpage where you can save the flv to disk but the flv won't embed. I know the CGUploader wiki page very well now. The odd thing is I have done this before. I am really not sure what I am missing. Is it possible that there is something broken? I'd like to have the confidence that I can embed videos before continuing. Is anyone else having trouble? Does anyone have any suggestions?

khendar
01-27-2010, 11:05 PM
I seem unable to get any 640x480 flv video to embed in a webpage through the CGUploader. In my thread I have uploaded about 5 videos. I have tried different codecs, different flv programs, different videos, different computers, different operating systems, and they all have the same result -- a webpage where you can save the flv to disk but the flv won't embed. I know the CGUploader wiki page very well now. The odd thing is I have done this before. I am really not sure what I am missing. Is it possible that there is something broken? I'd like to have the confidence that I can embed videos before continuing. Is anyone else having trouble? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry about that. Seems a file was missing in the page which plays the video. Should be working now.

harmless
01-27-2010, 11:52 PM
It works now. Thank you for fixing it!

twolarsens
01-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Never mind. Solved.

hml72
01-29-2010, 12:54 PM
All right, after browsing the forums, I can't see how to post WIP pictures in the B-Movie competition. There is nowhere to click for attachments and nowhere for what to do. I am new here and I did look around for clear information.
Would someone please tell me how to do this?

Henrik

khendar
01-30-2010, 05:32 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/b-movie/submit_entry.php

Sethfarah
01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
I wondered... Is there any way to enter the image challenge if two people are working on the same image? If we specified who did what, or just what I didn't do myself?

frejam
01-30-2010, 11:55 PM
I probably missed the answer to this somewhere - can anyone tell me if we can enter both image and video challenges with the same topic? I know we can enter both, just not sure if they have to be different ideas.

Thanks
jamesG

bambam007
01-31-2010, 12:30 AM
Hi all, Just wondering if there is a max video length.
At first I was thinking of entering a 1 minute video, but if the trailer is 30 seconds followed by a making of and 'full length' video then I wonder wha tthe length should be. Is there a rule or reccomended duration?

donaire
01-31-2010, 09:00 PM
HI,
In the challenge registering I pick for error my country as United States, but i don't see any option to change it. Im from Spain any way to change it?
Thanks

LiZhu
02-01-2010, 03:33 AM
I was wondering if I use VUE in the challenge. I want to produce the fast models as a good basic and I will add amazing creative input to make it better. I also want to paint mattpainting depend on the basic results. Thank you.

zen
02-01-2010, 05:25 AM
For the video entries, is there a framerate standard?
i.e. can i work and render in 24p? Does FLV support that? Or should i just stick to 30fps...

thanks

cardigan
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Sorry, this is probably a completely stupid question but I'm new round these parts....

Is it ok for the final image to just be a 2d digital painting, rather than utilising any 3d?

and if so, would the concept piece required for submission just be the initial sketches?

Thanks!

salmonmoose
02-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Not quite sure if this question has been covered before, but since your entry will be a 3d still image, is it okay then to do the majority of the textures and painting through post in PS and not have to 3d paint and texture the models.

There are no 2D/3D restrictions so long as there is digital process.

salmonmoose
02-02-2010, 02:07 AM
Hi, I've little problem with the preview of my thread.

If I go to the page where there are all the partecipants, near my name I can't see my picture of the first post. How can I do?
if you need, this is the link of my thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=304&t=845753

thank you

are you submitting your entries via the submission page or just replying to your own thread?

salmonmoose
02-02-2010, 02:09 AM
HI,
In the challenge registering I pick for error my country as United States, but i don't see any option to change it. Im from Spain any way to change it?
Thanks

It doesn't really matter - make a reply about it if you want to clarify, country of residence has no effect over how the challenge works.

salmonmoose
02-02-2010, 02:10 AM
I was wondering if I use VUE in the challenge. I want to produce the fast models as a good basic and I will add amazing creative input to make it better. I also want to paint mattpainting depend on the basic results. Thank you.

Sounds ok - there are no limitations to software used, although stock poser/vue/etc material can stand out and won't look like as much effort.

salmonmoose
02-02-2010, 02:11 AM
For the video entries, is there a framerate standard?
i.e. can i work and render in 24p? Does FLV support that? Or should i just stick to 30fps...

thanks

24p should work - upload a test and see how you feel it looks.

salmonmoose
02-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Sorry, this is probably a completely stupid question but I'm new round these parts....

Is it ok for the final image to just be a 2d digital painting, rather than utilising any 3d?

and if so, would the concept piece required for submission just be the initial sketches?

Thanks!

yes 2d only is ok.

We need at least a concept, work in progress and final image.

EVH5150
02-02-2010, 07:28 PM
are you submitting your entries via the submission page or just replying to your own thread?

thank u very much, I've done!

bye
giulio

Gopez
02-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Can we use real actors and their names? Or at least use their faces and bend their names a bit?

looksee
02-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Sounds like you understand perfectly.

3 Videos, preferably in one file, with the 30 second trailer first.

So the extended video (not the "commercial trailer" or the making of) must be a full plot? beginning, middle, climax, end? Or it can be basically a longer trailer (the commercial trailer being snappier with more edited out)??

Thanks!

salmonmoose
02-04-2010, 12:39 AM
So the extended video (not the "commercial trailer" or the making of) must be a full plot? beginning, middle, climax, end? Or it can be basically a longer trailer (the commercial trailer being snappier with more edited out)??

Thanks!

Either / Or, both are acceptable.

salmonmoose
02-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Can we use real actors and their names? Or at least use their faces and bend their names a bit?

Standard laws still apply, look to something like Robot Chicken for how things work, but we're not going to protect you if actors come after you for using their likeness. Also, credit is given to originality.

Gopez
02-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Standard laws still apply, look to something like Robot Chicken for how things work, but we're not going to protect you if actors come after you for using their likeness. Also, credit is given to originality.

I was thinking something in line of Peter Cushing but originality it is.

Thanks

JM-art
02-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi, two questions before starting:

I plan to entry in the 2d category but...

- It will be valid to use 3d software to set perspective, lighting, composition? And use that reference just as visual guide and/or as a background layer in PS. It will be a mix between 2d and 3d. 2d supported by the 3d fellow:eek:

AND

- To make it even more clear: The content of the entry must be related in some way to the concept or contents of a B-Movie, but not necesarly represent what would be a scene of a movie (existing or created for us)...right?

I.E: i do a painting of 4 characters B-movie style (2 existing and 2 invented) playing cards...that would be ok? That would be related but not a scene of a movie.

Thanks!

Russel-Nash
02-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I just recognized that you won't get the full res picture when clicking on the images in the thread. Only the medium sized image pops up. But when you replace "medium" with "large" in the URL of the pic you'll get the full-res version.
Would be nice if this could be changed.

ArchangelZero
02-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Hey,

Just want to make sure, should I submit any WIP images using the milestone form? Or will it only accept one and I should put the "real" milestone there and use another host for other images?

Thanks and apologies for the newbieness of the question.

Cheers!

sontaeseok
02-06-2010, 05:28 PM
in guideline final image 3636x2657 or 2657x3636 with that how can makes limits image 150kb?

please anwser i needs that..........

surajitsen
02-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi
Im interested and want to participate the competetion of "B-Movie-Image" catagory.
I am just checking all rules,but I have a quary.May I craete my own concept with my own concept character or creatures or any type of animals/insects like that?
please inform me.

icegene
02-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi,

I'm just wondering about the 30 second trailer and the full feature. 30 seconds is a bit short. Will it be ok to have it a bit longer? Something like 40 or 50 seconds?

And about the full length video, just how long would full length be? Is 30-40 minutes too long for this?

Thank you in advance. =D

I know this is in the image category but this is also the FAQ thread for the Challenge, right? Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread.

archaeotect
02-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Thank you salmonmoose for patiently answering all these questions. Sorry for having another one:

May I re-use objects appearing in my submitted challenge image (3D) later for my own projects without any restriction?

Clarification: For my challenge entry I´d like to place my characters in a building. Can I re-use the same building for a project later that year? Nothing has so far been published (or even done) and outcomes would be very different: characters, lightning, composition etc. would not be re-used (as the later project would be a realistic and rather serious animation instead of the over-the-top image I have in mind now). Using the same building would just save me some work later. I don´t even think it would be recognizable. But since it´s a commercial project I need to be sure that I won´t run into any problems re-using geometry that is also part of an image submitted here.

Cheers,
archaeotect

AlexaSharlOt
02-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Hello ! I have a problem I accident submit my first image of Image Submission Process in wrong Milestone. I submit in Work In Progress, but I need it to be in Concept / pre-visualization milestone. What shall I do ?

G0MEZ
02-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Hi,

"Entries should be original and should remain unprinted outside of CGSociety prior to the close of the challenge."

Does unprinted mean the same as unpublished? Can i post wip on other forums?

JM-art
02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi, sorry but the answers will be soon?

thanks!

paco
02-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi, I made a mistake while entering the challenge. After writing down my name pressed enter, so I didn't changed my country, How can I correct it?

khendar
02-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Hi, two questions before starting:

I plan to entry in the 2d category but...

- It will be valid to use 3d software to set perspective, lighting, composition? And use that reference just as visual guide and/or as a background layer in PS. It will be a mix between 2d and 3d. 2d supported by the 3d fellow:eek:

AND

- To make it even more clear: The content of the entry must be related in some way to the concept or contents of a B-Movie, but not necesarly represent what would be a scene of a movie (existing or created for us)...right?

I.E: i do a painting of 4 characters B-movie style (2 existing and 2 invented) playing cards...that would be ok? That would be related but not a scene of a movie.

Thanks!

Regarding your first query, sure you can use 3d models as a reference for a painting. Thats quite a common practice and I've seen a lot of entrants doing it.

Exactly what you produce is up to you, provided that you stick to the concept of B-Movies. Try not to use any existing characters in your work, as it will not win you any points for originality.

khendar
02-10-2010, 02:47 AM
Hello ! I have a problem I accident submit my first image of Image Submission Process in wrong Milestone. I submit in Work In Progress, but I need it to be in Concept / pre-visualization milestone. What shall I do ?

Don't panic. You can submit it again under the right Milestone, or just leave it as is. You wont lose any votes for it.

khendar
02-10-2010, 02:48 AM
Hi,

"Entries should be original and should remain unprinted outside of CGSociety prior to the close of the challenge."

Does unprinted mean the same as unpublished? Can i post wip on other forums?

You can post your WIP wherever you want. But we'd rather that you did not publish (online or in print) your final entry until the end of the challenge.

khendar
02-10-2010, 02:51 AM
Hi,

I'm just wondering about the 30 second trailer and the full feature. 30 seconds is a bit short. Will it be ok to have it a bit longer? Something like 40 or 50 seconds?

And about the full length video, just how long would full length be? Is 30-40 minutes too long for this?

Thank you in advance. =D

I know this is in the image category but this is also the FAQ thread for the Challenge, right? Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread.

Your trailer can be a minute if you like. The times are just rough guides.

If you can produce a 30-40 minute movie for this challenge then go right ahead. However you probably wont be able to submit it through our system, so you might need to post a link to the final piece on a site like Vimeo or something similar.

khendar
02-10-2010, 02:51 AM
Thank you salmonmoose for patiently answering all these questions. Sorry for having another one:

May I re-use objects appearing in my submitted challenge image (3D) later for my own projects without any restriction?

Clarification: For my challenge entry I´d like to place my characters in a building. Can I re-use the same building for a project later that year? Nothing has so far been published (or even done) and outcomes would be very different: characters, lightning, composition etc. would not be re-used (as the later project would be a realistic and rather serious animation instead of the over-the-top image I have in mind now). Using the same building would just save me some work later. I don´t even think it would be recognizable. But since it´s a commercial project I need to be sure that I won´t run into any problems re-using geometry that is also part of an image submitted here.

Cheers,
archaeotect

All the work that you produce is your property, so of course you can use it in other projects after the challenge.

khendar
02-10-2010, 02:52 AM
Hi
Im interested and want to participate the competetion of "B-Movie-Image" catagory.
I am just checking all rules,but I have a quary.May I craete my own concept with my own concept character or creatures or any type of animals/insects like that?
please inform me.

You can create what ever you want, provided it fits into the genre of B-Movie.

archaeotect
02-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Thank you khendar! I'm so looking forward to this challenge!

JurajMolcak
02-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Your trailer can be a minute if you like. The times are just rough guides.

hrm, that is something new. I thought the 30sec. (+ credits) is a must for the judging. Copy-Paste from the "Categories page":
We will initially judge a 30 second commercial that you must provide from your full length video (30 - 90 sec). It’s normal that 30 and 60 second versions will be cut from the full length videos. The 30 second version would get most exposure on TV in a normal 30 second commercial slot. This also makes it easier to judge lots of entries in a fair manner for both judges and entrants.

So I guess it would be nice to make final decision so there are at least some rules working in order to make this challenge compact and as said "in a fair manner". Otherway this will end up as a huge wildestyle with complaints and disappointments. There is nothing easier than written rules and guides anybody can read and accept. This way you keep changing them to the needs of individuals. Thanks.

Edit:
My plan was to create extended trailer (around 60 - 90 sec) as the final video, since those B-movie trailers are usually long. Plus 30 sec. cut for initial judging. Now I am a bit confused based on what you said, I can just upload my extended trailer without a need of 30 sec. version. Good, but how come?

surajitsen
02-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Is it compulsory to create my sce with character like any known movie's poster or character or can I create my own concept theme with character?...
please infrom me!!!
I am waititing for your reply....SS

walrus
02-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Khendar just answered that question only 4 posts ago!

surajitsen
02-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks!!
walrus (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=122885).....

SS

surajitsen
02-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Is it requere to create a scene of any poster type or can I create a scene with my concept?
please inform me..

SS

khendar
02-12-2010, 02:02 AM
Is it requere to create a scene of any poster type or can I create a scene with my concept?
please inform me..

SS

No you don't have to make a poster.

AdrianLazar
02-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Hi,
I'm also interested in what JurajMolcak is asking regarding the length of the first part that according to the rules must be 30 seconds. I'm having problem editing the trailer so short, I would really like to have 10 or better 20 seconds more.

Maybe you can clarify a little,
Thanks,
Adrian

surajitsen
02-12-2010, 02:40 PM
No you don't have to make a poster.

Thanks for your response.
My concept sketch is mostly going to complete......
Tomorrow I will post that in submit entry forum....
but,here is an another query regarding posting......
I will post my all WIP in "Submit entry" forum then what will I post in the link of " http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=851421"......
its necessary to post my WIP or concept or sketch here also with "Submit entry forum"?

Please inform me.

tccin3d
02-12-2010, 09:14 PM
have a look at this cover...great inspiration...
http://www.cinefex.com/backissues/issue57.html
it would be nice to have a special thread for users to put their references..about free fonts posters etc. just to shorten the search.

AdrianLazar
02-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi,
I'm also interested in what JurajMolcak is asking regarding the length of the first part that according to the rules must be 30 seconds. I'm having problem editing the trailer so short, I would really like to have 10 or better 20 seconds more.

Maybe you can clarify a little,
Thanks,
Adrian

Any help ?

khendar
02-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Any help ?

Like I said, 30 seconds is a guide. You can do more if you want.

khendar
02-16-2010, 05:31 AM
Thanks for your response.
My concept sketch is mostly going to complete......
Tomorrow I will post that in submit entry forum....
but,here is an another query regarding posting......
I will post my all WIP in "Submit entry" forum then what will I post in the link of " http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=851421"......
its necessary to post my WIP or concept or sketch here also with "Submit entry forum"?

Please inform me.

When you post in the Submit Entry page, it automatically gets added to your thread.

JurajMolcak
02-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Like I said, 30 seconds is a guide. You can do more if you want.

So I am OK with 1 video about 90 seconds long? No need to edit this to 30 secs. for initial judging? Thanks for your answer. This will be big timesaver.

khendar
02-16-2010, 11:37 AM
So I am OK with 1 video about 90 seconds long? No need to edit this to 30 secs. for initial judging? Thanks for your answer. This will be big timesaver.

• Rough Storyboards or 3D pre-visualization
• Work In Progress - JPEG/FLV (online)
• Finished Video (via CGUploader)
• 30 second version of trailer for initial judging. Followed by a maximum of 90 sec making of material, followed by full length Video

Thats:
1. Trailer (30s to 60s recommended)
2. Making of (90s)
3. Full length (However long you want)

aiman3d
02-17-2010, 03:31 AM
Ok, I may have missed this somewhere but I am confused about something. In the Submit entry page for me it say that i have 27 days left to submit an image, but on the B-movie info page it says image entry deadline is 19th march.

19th march is in 30 days, so how have I suddenly lost 3 days?

Is the image category due date now the 16th of March or is the time remaining clock wrong?

Asad3D
02-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Hi
i have some question

1. can i use free models like evermotion if i want to do an interior scene ?
2. can do like still image for different items like interior , charakters, painting>>??
3. i did not start any thing till now and i have created an account so is it ok if i don't put any images till it's ready?
4. where should i put my working procceing so i can get some reaplys from the people here to make my design looking perfect?

thanks a lot for you guys and soory for the to much asking .

cheers

crisplet
02-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Hi

Is there any way to delete my old crap concepts and an accidental post to clean up my thread?

Thanks
Chris

EVH5150
02-20-2010, 10:58 AM
hi.
I red on the instructions, the final image (high res) submission must be done using FTP.
I'm sorry, but I don't know what is this? where can I found some information about it?
I know there is lot of time, but I don't want discover it the last day...
thanks
Giulio

Vampyrangel
02-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Hello together,

I working for the finalimage dimensions.
I have read the following in the instructions:

"All online image submissions must be in JPEG or PNG format. The final image for the Image category must be in both JPEG/PNG (submitted online), and High Quality JPEG format."

If i load up the final image, how must it be done on the right way?

Final image online:
1280 x 1024px by 150kb JPEG? Is this right?
Must i upload as PNG too?

Final image ChallengeUploader:
3636 x 2657 px by 300 DPI Jpeg? Is this right?

Thanks before.

crisplet
02-20-2010, 04:47 PM
EVH5150

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol

Google is your friend ;)

cuts
02-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Is a short film about a huge boob attacking the city inappropriate (toon shaded and as nonsexual as possible of course)? Are satirical ads that rather demote than promote smoking and drinking inappropriate? What about if the beer is called "Wifebeater"?

EVH5150
02-23-2010, 09:45 PM
EVH5150

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol

Google is your friend ;)

thanks
can it help me?
http://filezilla-project.org/
or is could be better?
thanks
giulio

khendar
02-23-2010, 10:15 PM
hi.
I red on the instructions, the final image (high res) submission must be done using FTP.
I'm sorry, but I don't know what is this? where can I found some information about it?
I know there is lot of time, but I don't want discover it the last day...
thanks
Giulio

It seems there is some out of date info in the instructions. You submit your final image using the CGChallengeUploader tool.

BUZZFX
02-24-2010, 04:12 AM
I can't find the deadline for the Image entry anywhere. What's the actual date? Thanks.

khendar
02-24-2010, 04:16 AM
I can't find the deadline for the Image entry anywhere. What's the actual date? Thanks.

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/b-movie/instructions.php
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/b-movie/submit_entry.php

BUZZFX
02-24-2010, 04:35 AM
Thanks Tim. :)

Vimmy
02-24-2010, 04:39 AM
I don't if the question as been ask before, but We are the february 24... i think, and the countdown show : 19 days, 23 hours, 21 minutes, 45 seconds.

because base on that the dealine is more like march 16? Is 19 or 16 ?

sam

aiman3d
02-24-2010, 05:26 AM
I've heard that question asked a couple of times and I WANNA KNOW THE ANSWER TOO! 16TH OR 19TH?

Sidonay
02-24-2010, 11:48 AM
How to post WIP images ?????

I can't post the image. Forum shows this title:
"Entry submissions are now closed! Thanks for participating!"
May be I'm too late ???

Help please )))

Thanks before.

crisplet
02-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Sidonay:

You may have forgotten to select your "milestone" from the dropdown menu. Just try it again.

Chris

EVH5150
02-24-2010, 09:48 PM
It seems there is some out of date info in the instructions. You submit your final image using the CGChallengeUploader tool.

thanks
so do not do anithing else?
after I submit the final, will I receive a confirm?
How I'm sure I've done all right?
thanks
bye
Giulio

axiomatic
02-25-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm having problems viewing some movies that are posted. It seems the flv stops being streamed after a short while and no further data is sent. The player displays the correct amount of time left on it's status bar but it'll play through to, say 25% through, then restart at 0%.

After this reloading the page just seems to have me replaying the cached clip. Killing the cache seems to make Flash start a new stream but it will also stop.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this as I haven't been able to view my last flv submission?

Also, is it possible to submit h264 (renamed to xx.flv) as an alternative?

p.s.
I've used 3 machines, 4 browsers, 2 ADSL2+ connections to check ... none of these worked for me although someone else was able to see the whole thing and commented on it.

e2m
02-25-2010, 10:33 PM
excuse my ignorance but I'm new and I cannot find the option to host my wip pictures on the forum?

aiman3d
02-25-2010, 11:25 PM
e2m. When you go to the link provided by cgsociety to submit your entry - http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/b-movie/submit_entry.php

you enter your username and password...

Then there are tabs for Title, Milestone, Image and Notes.

In the pulldown menu for milestone you can select work in progress. That will let you upload as many images as you want that are in progress.

It was confusing to me as well, you always have to select a milestone for every image you upload. You can only upload one concept/previs, but you can upload as many work in progress images as you want.

e2m
02-26-2010, 02:13 AM
e2m. When you go to the link provided by cgsociety to submit your entry - http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/b-movie/submit_entry.php

you enter your username and password...

Then there are tabs for Title, Milestone, Image and Notes.

In the pulldown menu for milestone you can select work in progress. That will let you upload as many images as you want that are in progress.

It was confusing to me as well, you always have to select a milestone for every image you upload. You can only upload one concept/previs, but you can upload as many work in progress images as you want.

thanks a lot friend :bowdown:

tcochu
02-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Hallo, A previous post on the FTP topic got the answer:

But the site for the Immage Entry still states: Please ensure you have submitted your TIFF image via FTP

And since the Uploader just accepts jpg files ...

1. Is there still the need to upload a Tiff?
2. If there is, is this somehow Possible Via the CGS Uploader?
3. If so- how?
3. Is there the need to upload it via FTP then what do I need to enter to get the server accept the file?

thank you

Thyr
03-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi, i have one question.

I understand english a little, i'm still studying English. Have problem use google translator for participating contest?

archaeotect
03-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Hi Khendar!
In answer to "when does the image challenge end?" you posted two links:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZFX

http://features.cgsociety.org/chall...nstructions.php (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/b-movie/instructions.php)
http://features.cgsociety.org/chall...ubmit_entry.php (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/b-movie/submit_entry.php)

But as others have pointed out, these two links contradict each other. The "instructions" say March 19th (so I guess this is the actual date), while the countdown on the "submit entry" page seems to add up to March 16th. Maybe you could adress the resulting confusion (and get the countdown fixed?)?

thanks!

PS: The countdown on the submit entry page shows a difference of 35 days between image and video deadline, which also points towards the countdown being wrong.

E-MAX
03-04-2010, 03:50 PM
i've a problem uploding a PNG format for the final image submition..cause the UPLOADER accept only JPEG format only..so is just the jpeg format fine or what !?!?! cause i've read in the rules section

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
( The final image for the Image category must be in both JPEG/PNG (submitted online), and High Quality JPEG format.)
THNX AHEAD..

salmonmoose
03-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Dates are fixed.

Only post Jpeg finals - tiff is really only useful for printing - however, it's worth holding onto a tiff version in case you want to submit to one of our books.

Changing the extention on a file does not make it that sort of file - renaming a h264 to flv will likely break things.

E-MAX
03-05-2010, 08:09 PM
THNX ALOT...:)
ALSO I DIDN'T QUITE UNDERSTOOD THIS PART OF YOUR REPLY
( renaming a h264 to flv will likely break things. )
CAUSE I'M GUESSING THAT FLV IS FOR VIDEO SUBMISSION..RIGHT..BUT I'M IN IMAGE CATAGORY...
BUT YOUR REPLY WAS ENOUGH FOR ME THNX AGAIN...AND I PROMISE I'LL GET OFF YOUR LAWN.:)

RavenEye
03-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Issues uploading flv video.....:banghead::banghead:

I have tried several times to upload a .flv using the CGUploader in vain. Every that I have tried to upload a video using the thing. Nothing gets uploaded except for an image. I don't get any error messages with the uploader. So, it appears everything gets uploaded correctly. It is just the link isn't showing up in my thread. What am I doing wrong? If not me then what needs to be done to get it working? At this time, I'm posting some of my video WIP on another sight like youtube. Please help

axiomatic
03-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Changing the extention on a file does not make it that sort of file - renaming a h264 to flv will likely break things.

I mentioned changing the extension only because I believe that is the standard procedure outlined by Adobe. If h264 encoded files will break things i will not try.

I bought it up as a hopeful solution to my initial problem though, i.e. the player won't play the full video on all machines, spotty connection problems, once it stops streaming it's almost impossible to start it again etc.

I've had this issue with other peoples videos too.

cgdigi
03-11-2010, 09:51 AM
hi Cgtalk moderators.. just have some questions.. hhmm does it really need to have a Text or something written on the image? or is it ok if il just pass without any Titles and actors name.. by the name im doing the Tales from the Crypt.. so do i need to put the text on it?

Andias
03-11-2010, 02:58 PM
hi,
the story is required for all entry??

thanks

BUZZFX
03-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Hey that's a good question peter. Do our images need to have text like a B-Movie poster. I was under the impression that we were creating the image like other challenges and text was optional, but it never occurred to me that our entries may be required to look like a poster with text etc. Will we have a better chance if our image looks like a poster?

PS - Is there any chance we might be able to get a week or 2 extension on the image contest?

pg

salmonmoose
03-11-2010, 10:35 PM
hi Cgtalk moderators.. just have some questions.. hhmm does it really need to have a Text or something written on the image? or is it ok if il just pass without any Titles and actors name.. by the name im doing the Tales from the Crypt.. so do i need to put the text on it?

Not at all - we're hoping not everyone will do a poster anyhow, scenes from the films etc are also acceptable.

salmonmoose
03-11-2010, 10:35 PM
hi,
the story is required for all entry??

thanks

An entry that tells a story will do better than one that doesn't. It's not required however.

salmonmoose
03-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Hey that's a good question peter. Do our images need to have text like a B-Movie poster. I was under the impression that we were creating the image like other challenges and text was optional, but it never occurred to me that our entries may be required to look like a poster with text etc. Will we have a better chance if our image looks like a poster?

PS - Is there any chance we might be able to get a week or 2 extension on the image contest?

pg

As I said, it's open to interpretation - given 10 entries of equal quality, the one that is most unique will likely score higher - if everyone does posters you're probably better off not doing one.

No, unless something unforseen happens to the servers, we don't do extensions :)

bstout
03-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Hi,
I invited Bat6111 to join my team. He says he did, but he is still listed as pending. He also deleted the email that contained the invitation to join. The team management tool won't let me send a second invitation. How do I re-invite him?
He is actively participating and I would hate to be DSQ'd because of a technicality like this.
thanks for your help.

ASKsebastienchauvel
03-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Hello, I've got some problems with the challenge uploader.
First of all, when I post a video I do not get a confirmation of a sucessfully uploaded video, even though I gave it a chance, by letting it work all night.
When I insist and try do upload it many times the uploader finally tells me that my video has been sucessfully uploaded. But when I verified on the net I discovered that many copies where posted but non of them worked. And on top of it I can not delet these posts!
Maybe I am trying to delet these posts the wrong way !?

I do not understand what's happening, because I have already uploaded videos with the challange uploader prior to this, with no problem.

Is this due to unsuficient space on the server ?
How can I delet the older videos?

Can someone please help me :)

LightSovereign
03-15-2010, 05:14 AM
Hi, whilst uploading my final image via challenge uploader i came across this message

"Please ensure you have submitted your Tiff image via FTP"

I noticed that delivering a Tiff format image was not a requirement in the 'deliverables' section so is this an outdated message?

cheers

Marley

E-MAX
03-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi, whilst uploading my final image via challenge uploader i came across this message

"Please ensure you have submitted your Tiff image via FTP"

I noticed that delivering a Tiff format image was not a requirement in the 'deliverables' section so is this an outdated message?

cheers

Marley
HI..
i came across same problem but it was mention in the rule section that
( The final image for the Image category must be in both JPEG/PNG (submitted online), and High Quality JPEG format.)

so i asked same Q..AND salmonmoose (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=50030) vbmenu_register("postmenu_6299152", true); An Administrator reply..

Only post Jpeg finals - tiff is really only useful for printing - however, it's worth holding onto a tiff version in case you want to submit to one of our books.

whitemagus
03-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Does the history needs to be on the final image? Or it can be on the thread?
And the title does it needs to be on the final image?
Thanks.

rossolis
03-15-2010, 08:16 PM
i have a problem, i did not read carefuly enough the rules and i did not post my wip images using the submit entry function, and now my thread is up dated with unnecessary posts, whot shuld i do now ?? do i have to submit all my wip`s using submit entry ? if yes whot should i do with my thred ? bombing with wip images taht i alredy post before ??? help plzz...

i hope that my post is clear ... sorry for my english ...xD

salmonmoose
03-15-2010, 11:03 PM
i have a problem, i did not read carefuly enough the rules and i did not post my wip images using the submit entry function, and now my thread is up dated with unnecessary posts, whot shuld i do now ?? do i have to submit all my wip`s using submit entry ? if yes whot should i do with my thred ? bombing with wip images taht i alredy post before ??? help plzz...

i hope that my post is clear ... sorry for my english ...xD

Make sure you have at least one image submitted with each category. Also make sure the last image you post is your final image.

salmonmoose
03-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Does the history needs to be on the final image? Or it can be on the thread?
And the title does it needs to be on the final image?
Thanks.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but the answer is likely that any text should be in the thread - a title is not required on the final image.

pfistar
03-16-2010, 01:04 AM
hello all

Hopefully some admin is reading and can answer this...
I'd like to submit a single-frame entry into the "B Movie Challenge" but I'm a bit confused about the registration deadline vs. the work submittal deadline; seems the deadline posted for "still category" is March 19 , while those submitting animation work have until April 18th.
Is this correct or is march 19th simply a registration deadline?

regards,
NikPfistar

walrus
03-16-2010, 03:32 AM
Pfistar, there is no registration deadline. The March 19th deadline is for completing your entire still image and all other images that need to be submitted for the Challenge. You are automatically registered as soon as you sign up and a thread is created with your name. The animations take a lot longer to do than single still images so they have more time to work on their entries: That's what the April deadline is for. But if you're planning on entering just one illustration/painting/3D image, you have ~4 days left 'til the end of the contest. Good luck!

whitemagus
03-16-2010, 09:01 AM
I've uploaded the high resolution JPEG image via the CGsociety uploader, and when I click the "Please ensure you have submitted your TIFF image via FTP (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/b-movie/final_image.php)."
It takes me back to the same process of the JPEG image.
Do I have to upload a TIFF image?
Thanks

rossolis
03-16-2010, 12:28 PM
can i use textures from http://www.cgtextures.com/ ??

No payment or royalties are required to use these Textures... that mean that i can yes ?

walrus
03-16-2010, 01:02 PM
whitemagus - Your question was answered seven posts above yours.

rossolis - Of course you can. Great texture site, btw! :thumbsup:

BramLeeCH
03-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Hello, I have a question to ask regarding the final image uploading. I have downloaded the Java and upload the image using CG Challenge Uploader like how I was instructed, but the uploading bar stopped at 100% and the message bar did not have the word "completed" like it should be, is that okay? I checked my portfolio gallery, will my final image for this CG Challenge be there?

Hopefully someone can help me with that, thank you very much!!

LightSovereign
03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks EMAXII for the explanation :D

appreciated

but the uploading bar stopped at 100% and the message bar did not have the word "completed" like it should be, is that okay? I checked my portfolio gallery, will my final image for this CG Challenge be there?

Hi Bram, i just uploaded mine a couple of days ago. After a while a thought the same thing, but as i was about to close the uploader, a message box pops up confirming the "delivery" (for lack of a better word) had been completed..

If it was successful, your thread should be updated with the image...

So just wait a while for the message box to pop up next time

Marley

Marley

Andias
03-17-2010, 01:21 AM
wrong place

Andias
03-17-2010, 01:22 AM
hi, i upload the final in tfp image.
in the end of cguploader show "You're done! Be sure to visit your gallery management page at: htp://portfolio....xxxx and make sure the upload is selected as visible. "
this is what?

thanks

salmonmoose
03-17-2010, 03:30 AM
Make sure you're using the CGChallenge uploader, not the Portfolio uploader - you should see nothing about your portfolio during the upload process.

Make sure your Challenge page shows a final entry. You can view this thread by clicking "View Challenge Page" on the first entry of your challenge thread.

Andias
03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
yes, appears Final image
Thanks salmonmoose

Ackee
03-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Hi i have a question. When my group signed up for the video competition i didnt get a email about joining their group which i later found out was because the email i had attached to my account here was an old email which i cant get into anylonger and now they cant send me a new invite because the old one is forever pending, any ideas what i could do except create a new account?

Thanks

maxspider3000
03-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Is there any chance to expand the time of the challenge after 19 March ??

I started a bit late due of my work stress ... and I am hoping that you will do like past challenges, expanding for more time !

so ... will you ?? :rolleyes:

AJ
03-17-2010, 05:13 PM
If you extend the deadline, I will buy you chocolate.

Imagine... Free chocolate!

(freeness of chocolate cannot be guaranteed by the author)

JayMackay
03-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Hey Guys,

I haven't noticed this being posted previously, but I'm wondering where do I credit my references? I have submitted my final image online and through the up-loader, and didn't really find a spot to put my credits. Other then of course the paragraph box where we're supposed to write our story behind the image. I'm a bit nervous that I'm going to be disqualified for not crediting my references, and I have a LOT of credits to do...

If this has been answered previously, please let me know what page...

Cheers!

leus00
03-18-2010, 02:11 AM
hi, i submitted my final image, but in a place says make sure you send your tiff via ftp , but on the other way says that you send a jpg image. So I sent a jpg image, is this correct?

leus00
03-18-2010, 02:15 AM
hi, i submitted my final image, but in a place says make sure you send your tiff via ftp , but on the other way says that you send a jpg image. So I sent a jpg image, is this correct?

ok, i found the answer, someone had the same dilema, bye

maxspider3000
03-18-2010, 09:05 AM
any expansion guys ?? ... hello ?!!

gedomenas
03-18-2010, 02:28 PM
ok, i found the answer, someone had the same dilema, bye
Tell us the answer

HeadSmell
03-18-2010, 05:24 PM
HI..
i came across same problem but it was mention in the rule section that

so i asked same Q..AND salmonmoose (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=50030) vbmenu_register("postmenu_6299152", true); An Administrator reply..

Just submitted mine and had the same thoughts, this was posted a few pages back, they should get rid of that link very confusing for sleep deprived people :)

Highsociety
03-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Hi Guys! I just want to be sure about this: I still got around 33 hours for uploading my final image left, right? I need this information so that I can go to bed and make my finishing touches tomorrow.
Uh, all these thoughts about timezones make me crazy...

Vimmy
03-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi Guys! I just want to be sure about this: I still got around 33 hours for uploading my final image left, right? I need this information so that I can go to bed and make my finishing touches tomorrow.
Uh, all these thoughts about timezones make me crazy...

Same question. It for tommorrow night right?

walrus
03-18-2010, 09:20 PM
When you go to the Submit Image page - http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/b-movie/submit_entry.php - it tells you exactly how much time left in the challenge down to the second. Don't wait 'til the last second to submit, though, as other people will be doing the same and it will get bogged down and could make you miss the deadline. As of right now, the remaining time shown is:
Image time left: 1 days, 7 hours, 40 minutes, 1 seconds.

E-MAX
03-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Just submitted mine and had the same thoughts, this was posted a few pages back, they should get rid of that link very confusing for sleep deprived people :)

OKAY..for the sleep deprived people...i've came across the same problem..then another person asked about it..So i was tryin; to help him..and i posted THE ADMINISTRATOR REPLY...OKAYYYYY

Andias
03-18-2010, 10:43 PM
i already submit my final image, can i submit again, because i took the texts ??
I think the texts derive attention of two pinups, and so wanted to stay only with the title

thanks

HeadSmell
03-19-2010, 01:57 AM
OKAY..for the sleep deprived people...i've came across the same problem..then another person asked about it..So i was tryin; to help him..and i posted THE ADMINISTRATOR REPLY...OKAYYYYY

guess I didn't write to clear.

I meant to imply that "I" was sleep deprived and I was confused about it

dzygn
03-19-2010, 03:31 AM
Please Help Me Where Is The Cgs Ftp Adress?

gedomenas
03-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Please ensure you have submitted your TIFF image via FTP
WHERE ?

khendar
03-19-2010, 06:16 AM
As has been stated several times in this thread already, the instructions concerning Tiffs and FTPs are outdated, and should be ignored. Submit your final image using the ChallengeUploader

gedomenas
03-19-2010, 06:26 AM
Thanx, lose my head :)

salmonmoose
03-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Hey Guys,

I haven't noticed this being posted previously, but I'm wondering where do I credit my references? I have submitted my final image online and through the up-loader, and didn't really find a spot to put my credits. Other then of course the paragraph box where we're supposed to write our story behind the image. I'm a bit nervous that I'm going to be disqualified for not crediting my references, and I have a LOT of credits to do...

If this has been answered previously, please let me know what page...

Cheers!

A post in your thread should be sufficient.

Bran
03-19-2010, 08:32 AM
excuse my bad english,
there's one thing i would like to know even i had read this thread completely.

to upload the final image, i've to use the cguploader. it is said, i have to submit a highres .jpg file.
so far i understand (mine's about 3077x4000px, ~9mb)

but in some threads of other participants, there are two or more finals in different sizes posted - and none of them is in the desired high resolution, even if i click on it. they're around about 1000-1200px.

i got a highres final from my work. as far as i understood, i have to submit it via the uploader. have i to submit first a max. 150kb jpeg as a final and then submit the greater one? that's what confuses me.

perhaps someone can explain it to me?
thank you :)

bran

ScottMc
03-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Is there a place to view everyones full resolution final submissions?

Andias
03-19-2010, 11:20 AM
i already submit my final image, can i submit again, because i took the texts ??
I think the texts derive attention of two pinups, and so wanted to stay only with the title

Thanks

TheBestDamnThing
03-19-2010, 11:51 AM
hi
i was try to submit my final image in 3 time and evry time cguploader stop work at 100% !
plz help! :((

rossolis
03-19-2010, 12:26 PM
TheBestDamnThing (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=410475)

Im not specialits but did you try to use command list ?

java -jar E:\yourpath\challengeuploader.jar
or try to reinstall java

My Question :
can i check that everything is correct ? (for example ; resolution of uploaded image)

TheBestDamnThing
03-19-2010, 12:40 PM
no
i just click in ,after downloading cguploader and then select my file and upload
but its not work! and stop in 100 % :((((((.

walrus
03-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Seriously, people, there's an FAQ thread for a reason: If you read through it, it has answers to your questions! Many of the questions people are asking have already been answered in this very thread.

Someone already asked about the java uploader stopping at 100%. You just have to be patient and give it more time, and then after it hits 100% (...wait for it...!) it will give you a message telling you that the upload was successful.

It was also mentioned that once you upload your full resolution image, the picture is automatically resized and a smaller version is shown on your thread because in the past, as some artists were uncomfortable with having the full-res versions of their work accessible by anyone but the judges. So the judges will be able to see your picture in its full hi-res glory. No one else will.

If you want to see all submitted entries (but not the full res versions of them, as explained above) then in the B-movie sidebar (you see it when you submit images) is a link labeled "View all entries." (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/b-movie/view_entries.php )

Andias - You may submit your final entry as often as you need to. Judges will only see the last thing you submitted (so make sure that the last thing you submit is a Final Entry, not a concept art or WIP piece!)

Andias
03-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks Michael
i already submit :)

ke0n
03-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Deadline is GMT? or one the appering the site?

E-MAX
03-20-2010, 12:14 AM
THIS IS just like my ticket for a new life..but i knew IT's just a challenge for most of you..
ANY way..best of luck to ALL OF US..

dicksu1984
03-20-2010, 05:26 AM
excuse me,i down a cgupload,i found i can use it,how can i upload my final image,help,thank you!

JoeJack
03-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi, I have 2 questions
* First I need to know if I can reuse the work that I have entered within the challenge
* Second about the prizes I live in Egypt can it be delivered if I won and is there anything that I have to pay like customs and stuff?

JoeJack
03-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi, I have 2 questions
*First I need to know if I can i reuse the work that I have entered with in the challenge
*Second about the prizes I live in Egypt can it be delivered if I won and is there anything that I have to pay like customs and stuff?

MistaFraggadeliX
03-20-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm wondering: is it legal (and within the rules of this contest) to use screencaps from Google maps for this movie?

Andias
03-21-2010, 06:05 PM
there is a problem with the forum?
I can not see the thumbs and is very slow

Cheers!

adib
03-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi,
yes there is a problem,I also can t put anything on my thread,or upload via cg challenge upload.
So if there is a problem please tell us,to avoid multiple same thread submissions.

Thanks alot!

Andias
03-21-2010, 09:20 PM
hi, i already submit my work.
i ask because its hard to comment the work of other users.

Thanks

salmonmoose
03-22-2010, 01:51 AM
I'm wondering: is it legal (and within the rules of this contest) to use screencaps from Google maps for this movie?

Given Google's permission. However I don't think they have the rights to give that out, as they don't own the images themselves, so, I'd say no.

salmonmoose
03-22-2010, 01:52 AM
Looks like the server took a time-out - should be happy now.

werwack
03-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Hello,

my question may sounds stupid but so far I am still a bit lost with that. It concerns this challenge as well as the previous ones:
Is there a page or a special thread, for each challenge, where we can see all the final works, and the categories they are competing into? Like a gallery for instance?

It would allow an easy overview of the challenge, cause going through all the threads is not straightforward. If such a page already exists, it doesn't seem to be clearly indicated.

Thx

SciFibrow
03-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi Anton,

I was wondering, is there likely to be any sort of extension to the deadline for the image submission for b-movie? I spent so long "growing" the expose entry, and getting my creature design right (weeks of tweaks), I somehow ended up with a day and a bit to do the speedpaint and it turned out pretty awful. Would it be okay to submit the concept art for the concept art portion of the competition, considering I've already posted it in the workings part?

:blush:

Andias
03-22-2010, 07:10 PM
hi
i can put the picture of my final entry BMovie in my portofolio
and gallery 2D, Illustrations and Concept Art?
or have to wait until the challenge ends

Thanks

JoeJack
03-22-2010, 09:13 PM
:) ummmmmm excuse me
why didn't you answer my question......... Oo...... please.. :)