PDA

View Full Version : Sad Walk Cycle

Ustel3Dman
01-15-2010, 04:42 AM
Hey all,

Working on a sad walk cycle please take a look and let me know what needs to be fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xpHtshdOZI

Take it Easy,

Justin

monuda85
01-15-2010, 09:27 PM
1.The body is leaning too much. Check an arc on back.
2.Foot motion seem exaggerated and a bit strong for sad walk.
It looks more like a tired walk now. Try to soft it by lowering your lag.
3.The common thing that happens in a sad walk is the body abrubtly and quickly drops after Lift position (where your foot raise). Try to get the feeling of weight by controling your Root.
4.If you walk in a sad mood,you will see your arms do not move that much.
I think you better keep your arm almost straight and kinda make it tilt smoothly.
Also move them into a center position not side. Sorry for bad English :( but I hope you know I what I mean! you have a nice idea of walk cycle by the way!

JesseDavis
01-16-2010, 12:39 AM
you should try walking like what you've animated, and tell us if you feel like thats what you'd do when you're sad.

JaredTaylor
01-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Here's a good cartoon sad walk cycle, check 'shuffle'. Like someone said, notice the almost stationary position of the arms. I think a sad cycle is harder to do than a happy/normal one because subtle animation (in the arms) is a lot harder to accomplish. Just IMO, and I'm hardly accomplished so you might as well ignore my comments ;)

If you do use this sheet you can cut out the 3rd shuffle frame, and use 1/33, 5/21, 9/25, 13/29, 17 for your timing and it should look appropriate. Either that or something even slower. According to animator's survival kit, 16 frames ^ as above ^ is a strolling/leisurely walk, but cartoons tend to move faster than realistic humans.

http://www.darlingdimples.com/images/pb2legs.png

Ustel3Dman
02-03-2010, 03:25 AM
Hello,

Thanks allot for the crits it really helped allot. I have updated the walk with the suggestions mentioned please let me know if further changes are needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzVV0VgJ7XE

Take it Easy,

Justin

CGOutcast
02-03-2010, 04:55 AM
cant see the new one, as far as the old one i would face the palms back and actually slow down the cycle.

Ustel3Dman
02-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Hey CG outcast,

I just tried the link it is working for me. Try it again im not sure why it didn't work for you.

Take it Easy,

Justin

CGOutcast
02-04-2010, 04:02 AM
K saw it this time, the translation of the body going up and down feels as if the keys arent smoothed out yet in your graph editor, i would say make sure all your lines are transitioning to each key smooth for the most part until he hits his lowest point. and the hands still feel a bit weird facing straight on like a robot. the feet look great just a little jittery but like i said before that graph editor can solve many problems. keep it up dude.

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2010, 04:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.