PDA

View Full Version : portfolio questions

kylix3d
01-14-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm going in a somewhat different direction with beginning my portfolio and I have a few questions:

I've added a 2D section for observational drawings. Is this good to have? And if so, what are the specific things I should focus on? Right now, I'm just alternating between drawing with pencil and pen in my sketchbook and using my Wacom tablet. I keep hearing an emphasis on traditional art skills, so I thought I should add this.

I have other things that I've been kind of working with, such as MEL scripted animations in Maya, building things in Unity 3D, and experimenting with OpenGL programming. How can I show this additional work without it being a confusing detriment to my portfolio/site?

Finally, I'm becoming increasingly comfortable with doing hard surface modeling, but is there another skill that I could develop as well to make me more versatile to a potential employer? Environments perhaps?

My URL: www.kylix3d.com

Thanks!

ripley1
01-14-2010, 09:03 PM
I am not going to answer you questions. I just want to ask you: is the design of your website going to look like this? You should make it more fancy. If you are going to put some more images, perhaps you should make a thumbnails of them, and after clicking on them enlarge them. It s gonna be really anoing to roll over all images. You can still keep design very simple (if its yor aim), but with some delicate details.

PredatorGSR
01-14-2010, 09:24 PM
You should add a little bit of polish to the website, but you don't need to add much. Keep it simple. This guy's site is almost perfect in my opinion http://www.ilyanedyal.com/index.html. Just add borders to your images, and maybe spiff up of the colors and fonts a little. Personally I hate thumbnails, keep it the column of large images.

If your drawings are REALLY good, add them, otherwise, I would leave them out. Personally I would leave them out, unless they are really good concepts of works that you have turned into 3d. Thats just my opinion though.

The programming stuff, don't put it in your portfolio. Just put the info in your resume, i.e. "proficient in Mel Scripting" add Unity to the number of engines you have experience with, etc.

The biggest thing is you don't have any work to show. You need a minimum of 5-6 great pieces in your portfolio. Texturing skills are essential to getting an environment/prop job. Most studios require modelers to be able to uv and texture, and even if modelers at a company don't texture, you need to know how in order to model things correctly.

Hope that helps.

GradiusCancer
01-14-2010, 10:11 PM
2D sections are fine if you have professional quality drawings. If your target job is 3D art, it's not necessary. It's imporant to understand if the quality of your art isn't your best, then it only serves to hurt you. Conclusion, remove these kid scribbles.

Scripting is actually a great technical skill to have. You can simple write a brief description of your understand of it, and you should be good.

Directing your skill set it's best pointed towards doing what you want to do at the company you want to work at. Long story short, recreate their screen shots. If you can't do that, you're not ready.

I see no problems with your portfolio itself. It's clean, includes what I need to see, and I had no problems finding everything. The content, however, has no marketable value. This is what a high detail modeler's portfolio looks like:

http://www.ilyanedyal.com/

Sure, you may be thinking "hey, I'm not that good yet!" but the comparison is with variety and marketability. It features realism, futuristic, building, vehicles, and so on. AND (here's the important part) finished work. If you can not provide final quality work, you can not be considered for employment.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2010, 10:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.