PDA

View Full Version : character: Jinkies! the Sea Monkey

sequestrian
08-26-2003, 04:57 PM
Heya everybody! C&C needed here. This is a model for an animated short film I am creating.

http://sequestrian.visualfxi.com/works/model.gif

here's the concept art and wireframe if anyone cares... the wireframe is the base geometry. the finished model has on nurms subd with 2 iterations.

http://sequestrian.visualfxi.com/works/concept.gif
http://sequestrian.visualfxi.com/works/lowpoly_wireframe.gif

mattregnier
08-27-2003, 08:19 PM
The character is coming along nicely. If you are intending to animate the only suggestions I'll make is after looking at your wires, you'll want a few more polys in the elbows and in the knees so you'll get a nicer deformation when animating. Other than that it's a good solid modeling job. The middle of the torso seems a bit boxy still as well. Pull a few verts outward and round out the torso a bit more and you'll be golden.

Rhid1en
08-27-2003, 09:29 PM
It's a nice enough fundamental start, but I think you really need to start getting into that mesh now and add personality to this character. I'm not just talking about creating morphs and expressions for your animation either, but true physical attributes of whom he is, is what it's lacking now. I'm sure you have some sort of story already in mind for your animated short, now think about the back story of this character, whom he is, where he grew up, how he and his species has evolved to fit their society or life structure, whatever, now if you can start incorporating some of these ideas into the model, while still simply in a neutral pose, animating it and bringing it to life will be the easy part and really help to push the character beyond typical.... anyway, that's my advise for now, perhaps as he evolves I can throw out a something more specific? good luck

jab
08-27-2003, 11:57 PM
I agree about the character and personality. I really like the drawing but I dont think you necissarilly caught that personality in the model yet. I think it is because some of your details are much more exagerated in the drawing. For instance the little lobes at the bottom of the ears are nice and chubby as well as the fingers, but in the actual model these things are very thinned out and thus dont stand out as characteristics of the creature. Also the arches over the eyes arent there and the cheeks may not be working for me. I think the legs could be a little longer/bigger to match the drawing too.

I think this creature has potential, just try to work in some of those detail you have in the drawing.

sequestrian
08-28-2003, 05:33 PM
thanks for the critique! this is the first time I've had a thread with more than 1 response! I too feel the fingers and lobes lost some of their luster in transfering to 3D, which I just figured are because my profile drawing had that thinning too... I get what you're saying about the loss of character, I really felt it too... I'll get right on that... good idea about the knees and elbows... I also found I'm missing a bit of detail above the eyes (you know, for morphing in wrinkles) that I had not realized until I created my morphers... is there anywhere else that could use more detail? I have a bad habit of making everything as low-poly as possible, which doesn't much work short film characters... anyway, thanks again for the crits... check back later today and I might have some changes to show...

3d42dustin
09-03-2003, 10:00 AM
thnx for critique on my character. :)

theres prob with your arm length.. remember span of both arms should be the height of the character.. right now its longer then ur whole characters height. i good start.. i would say :) keep it up:buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.