PDA

View Full Version : tileable chain link fence texture

gy4922
01-14-2010, 02:48 AM
I was wondering how I can make a tileable chain link fence texture including the diffuse map, normal map and alpha map. I plan to apply this texture to a plane.

I have the hi poly fence modeled but I decided I only want to use a small portion of it and have it tileable. I

That way I can get away with using a smaller image size.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/gy4922/chainlink_poly.jpg

PredatorGSR
01-14-2010, 03:32 AM
It is fairly simple. You just crop the image down to a single link, and make sure all the edges are exactly the same so it tiles seamlessly. Then in Maya, you apply the shader to the plane, and then select all of the uvs, and scale them up outside the 0-1 space until the size of the links is what you want.

In modern games, typically what you do after that is use a custom shader that allows you to apply a grime overlay on uvset 2, so that you can put a unique grime texture onto the links to break up the repititive look. The grime part is not required, but makes it look better.

I'm not sure what exact advice you are looking for, so post any questions I didn't cover.

gy4922
01-14-2010, 05:09 AM
It is fairly simple. You just crop the image down to a single link, and make sure all the edges are exactly the same so it tiles seamlessly. Then in Maya, you apply the shader to the plane, and then select all of the uvs, and scale them up outside the 0-1 space until the size of the links is what you want.

In modern games, typically what you do after that is use a custom shader that allows you to apply a grime overlay on uvset 2, so that you can put a unique grime texture onto the links to break up the repititive look. The grime part is not required, but makes it look better.

I'm not sure what exact advice you are looking for, so post any questions I didn't cover.

Thanks Predator. Simplifying it to one link helped me make the image tileable, but how do I generate a normal map from this? I took the image into crazy bump and the result was really flat, especially in the overlap areas. Here's the screen cap from the preview.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/gy4922/flat.jpg

gy4922
01-14-2010, 05:29 AM
I think I figured it out. By painting in some AO ish shadows under the overlap, it helped crazy bump calculate a lot better. here are the results. not perfect, but I think I can live with it.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/gy4922/notflat.jpg

ninjacore
01-18-2010, 11:21 PM
yeah, you can get away with a 64x64 that is pretty much one link.

EricChadwick
01-24-2010, 10:44 PM
It only makes sense to have a texture this high-res if you're doing an ant's point of view kind of game.

One cool trick I've seen is to rotate the pattern 45 so you can make the best use of the straight columns/rows of pixels. Then the texture can be a lot smaller, like 32x32.

Zenderquai
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
Hi there -

a few years ago, I was working on the tracks for Wipeout HD, and the workflow I'd developed kinda lends itself to exactly what you want to achieve.

I modelled the pieces of track in High-res, textured them fully, so that I could extract the Diffuse, normal, specular, self-illumination, and alpha from the one mesh.

Make a "target" square, and extend it to exactly the same relative parts of your High-res single link.
then project the normal maps through the target, using Maya's transfer surfaces tool..

it works really REALLY well, i think.

if you were to texture the high-res model, too - make sure that texture tiles in the same space as the target object, and the outputted textures from maya, will tile already, without any photoshop work.

Hope that helps, (if it's not too cryptic!)

Nick.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.