PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable Pants Rig

Mrguy
01-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I have a character and he has a pair of pants. I was able to inflate the pants useing blend shapes but because were exporting as a .daa or a collada file the blend shape information does not carry over.

So the other option would be rigging right? Though I'm really not too sure if this is possible. Has anyone every worked with this type of file or does anyone have any suggestions? I am at a complete loss and really not sure how to make this working well. I don't think rigging will allow me to have the articulation I was achieving with blend shapes.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/expandRig.jpg?t=1263328248

Remi
01-12-2010, 07:49 PM
How about clusters? That might give you a little more control and less limitations that bones would give you I would think. Might be something worth trying. Not sure they'll work for you, haven't done something like that, but that was the first thing that came to mind.

mlefevre
01-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Could you scale the axis that aren't running down the length of the joints?
Might be able to add a number of joints throughout the chain for a smooth deformation.

Mrguy
01-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey Remi how were you thinking about using the clusters? Or setting something up to use a cluster.

Hey Mlefevre... I think I'm trying your solution though not sure if I'm getting good results. I kind of didn't really understand what you were saying. Im going to try and do some more tests.

Mrguy
01-12-2010, 10:01 PM
We're using Papervision for Flash.

Darksuit
01-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Are you exporting this as Collada (*.dae) for the use in a game or ??? (just looking to understand the intended end result (ie where is the file going and what is it being used for). There may be a number of options available to you.

Mrguy
01-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Just to make sure the We're using Papervision for Flash. was for you Darksuit.. bot sure why it put the post above your post.

Mrguy
01-12-2010, 10:34 PM
So I've come across another problem but with a possible solution.

Now that I'm weighting the pants to the new joints to make it expand the deformations are a little off. The legs clip through the pants a little bit... and I havent fully weighted the pants yet too.

So my solution is to have two pants meshes. One will deform correctly when the character is in motion. The other will stay hidden and have the correct weighting for the expanding. I have a 0-100 channel for my expander controller so at 0 the 1st pants will be present but when the attribute hits 1 then pants 1 will be hidden and then pants 2 will be un-hidden, and start to expand. (All by using multiple set driven keys)

Sorry if I sound like I'm just talking and talking. I don't have anyone to bounce my ideas off of.

Mrguy
01-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Heh.. so that worked great. :D Now just gotta figure out the pants expanding nicely.

CGTalk Moderation
01-12-2010, 11:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.