PDA

View Full Version : mental ray problem?

gogofast
08-26-2003, 10:58 AM
Hi guys,

There is problem when I render use mental ray. I want a surface to be hidden when I render the scense, so check off "Primary Visibility" of surface's render state, when I use maya software to render the scense, that's ok. When I use mentalray to render, that's wrong, a part of surface still be rendered. Look at the two pictures I render used mentay ray.
first is "Primary Visibility" on, the second is "Primary Visibility" off.

thank you very much.

gogofast
08-26-2003, 11:01 AM
Primary Visibility off,rendered in Mental ray.
Why,and How?

gogofast
08-26-2003, 11:04 AM
the surface was imported in maya, not be created in maya. so maybe the size is too big for camera.

gogofast
08-26-2003, 11:26 AM
It's becoming more confused, when I hide the particles, the surface also hide at all when rendering in mental ray.
the reason is particles.

why?:eek: :eek:

gogofast
08-28-2003, 11:01 AM
?no one can help me??
I am going to abandon mental ray. There's no time for me to test the rendering result.

It's so bad for me.:shrug: :shrug:

Jolts
09-01-2003, 08:44 PM
make sure its not duplicated on itself.

gmask
09-01-2003, 08:58 PM
What's in the alpha channel? I have found that Maya and Mental ray treat objects with with primary visibility differently.. to get more predictable results try changing the matte opacity for the shader assigned the cloth curface.

mayanut
03-11-2004, 09:58 PM
I've had a similar problem. Mental ray for maya renderer is entirely ignoring my keyframed visibility. Works fine in Maya, any keyed visibility is ignored in Mentral ray for maya render.

Any ideas?

uschi
03-11-2004, 11:55 PM
"I've had a similar problem. Mental ray for maya renderer is entirely ignoring my keyframed visibility. Works fine in Maya, any keyed visibility is ignored in Mentral ray for maya render."

-> i know this problem too. it seems that mental ray doesnīt checks out previous frames (where the visibility is keyed). you can work around quit easy (again setting it on or off)

-> to the primary visibility thing,.. i didnīt get with it yet (maya 5.01) but never tried it with particles...

misterdi
03-12-2004, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by gogofast
Primary Visibility off,rendered in Mental ray.
Why,and How?

Just shooting blindly.

Looking at your pictures, it seems that the drape is visible inside the bounding box of particles.

Mentalray maybe treated the rays (when it hits the particles) and calculated the rays as secondary rays which not a primary rays.

Suggestion instead of using inherited for tracing in mentalray, force it to no (trace "no") and also visibility "no". This make sure that the primary and secondary rays doesn't see your drape, so it won't be rendered with mental rays.

I can't check it now, since all Maya station is in heavy rendering schedule.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.