PDA

View Full Version : Ripple Effect

nofriends_1985
08-26-2003, 10:18 AM
Hello,
I was wondering how i could get particles to collide with a surface and make a ripple effect?

minos365
08-27-2003, 06:45 PM
i ask this question before,
he tell me use collisionU and collisionV to know where particle hit surface,
and then use fluid effect to do the effect
i know this first
but i dont know this second

nofriends_1985
08-28-2003, 04:04 AM
yer i know what you mean i know how to do the first part but i dont know how you can get the ripple with fluid effects... i was thinkin of somekind of soft body simulation

minos365
08-28-2003, 04:45 PM
if i use softbody,it need a lot of point,
it too slow

Duncan
08-28-2003, 05:25 PM
Once you have the uv point on your surface you can emit into that uv position on a fluidTexture2d(applied presumably as a displacement map). To get a ripple simulation set the fluid solver to "spring mesh".

In your particle runtime expression you can determine the grid index at the collision point by dividing the uv by the grid resolution uv.

// assuming you have defined the variables collideU +V
// if the particle collides do the following:
int $dropSize = .5; // depth of ripple to create
int $indexU = $collideU/(float)fluidTexture2DShape1.resolutionH;
int $indexV = $collideV/(float)fluidTexture2DShape1.resolutionW;
setFluidAttr -xi $indexU -yi $indexV -at density -ad -fv $dropSize fluidTexture2DShape1;

The above adds in a density to the fluid texture at the particle collide location which will generate a ripple at that point. I'm assuming that your code already initializes a colldeU and V variable and that you have created a texture called fluidTexture2DShape1 that is assigned to the same surface being collided with.

Duncan

minos365
08-29-2003, 07:46 AM
hi Duncan
i try,but it dont work,i dont know what is wrong.
i attach maya file,can you tell me what is wrong.
thanks

nofriends_1985
08-30-2003, 09:41 AM
hey minos365

it took me a few hours but i got it to work with the following code :

float $colU = particleShape1.collisionU;
float $colV = particleShape1.collisionV;
int $dropSize;
int $indexU;
int $indexV;

if ($colU > 0)
$dropSize = 1; // depth of ripple to create
$indexU = (float)fluidTexture2DShape1.resolutionH*$colU;
$indexV = (float)fluidTexture2DShape1.resolutionW*$colV;
setFluidAttr -xi $indexV -yi $indexU -at density -ad -fv $dropSize fluidTexture2DShape1;

there is probally a lot better way of writting this code but i am new to mel and this was the best i could do. One thing that you have to make sure of is that the UV of your nurbs mesh lines up with the XY or hight width of your fluid texture. I had a look at your scene file and you should lie your fluid texture on top of your nurbs mesh easier to see whats happening

minos365
08-31-2003, 04:03 PM
thanks
i will try

stallion151
09-02-2003, 12:48 AM
i think u should change those int values to float values. :p

Duncan
09-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Oops! Yes I meant float for dropSize (the indices are ints, however).

Duncan

nofriends_1985
09-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Duncan...

thanx for all your help you sure know your stuff!!!! i couldnt think of anyway of doing it. but your fluid Effects is great and not to system hungry i was wonder if you mind if i write a tutorial on how to make ripples?

Duncan
09-04-2003, 05:34 PM
How could I possibly mind you writing a tutorial? We need more fluids tutorials!
Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.