PDA

View Full Version : smooth transformation from 3D to 2D

remxxx
01-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Hi everyone!! I've just started working on a Web-solution Company as an intern and my first assignment is to create a screensaver with the company logo and name moving around.

My idea is to have the polygon letters swoop into center position and then have them turning into 2D in a nice and natural tone. I belive most of you've seen this effect before as it's commonly used in movie intros and such.

The question is, how is this easily done. I presume it's a matter of good AE-skill, so do you have some tips or maybe a good tutorial??

I appreciate any kind of pointers alot.

/ RémXxx

remxxx
01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
you might even know what the effects is called. just so i know what to look for when searching for tutorials.

piperpam27
01-21-2010, 10:17 PM
It seems to me that the easiest way would be to get an image of the final logo from the company (or if you are designing it, design the 2D logo first). Then, recreate it in 3D (my preference would be Maya, but whatever 3D software you have will work) so that you can render a 3D frame, and it looks pretty much the same as the 2D version(at the least, the position of the letters need to be the exact same in the 3D version). Then, set keys at the end of the Maya timeline for all of those letters and pieces of the logo. Then you can do whatever animations on the letters you want, and they will end up exactly as they need to be at the end of the timeline because you had set those keys. Once you have rendered out the 3D version, bring it into AE. Take the 3D render and place it in the timeline. Place the 2D still of the logo at the end of the AE timeline, after the 3D stuff. Then just do some sort of transition from the 3D to the 2D, like a fade or anything. Walah!

Hope that makes sense, and works for you!

-Pete

hypnocookie
01-26-2010, 12:46 PM
I'd be interested to know if there is a name for that type of effect, would be good to use in google to see what other people have done

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2010, 12:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.