PDA

View Full Version : UNWrapping Multiple objects at once

glennn
08-26-2003, 08:21 AM
Was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out ....
I am looking for a new Max Unwrap tool that will allow me to select multiple Max objects....
say a human figure that has its arms and legs and head as seperate object meshs...
because they are all related to one map.

What i want to achieve is a way to edit all the objects UV's at once, yet not destroy any skinning weights that i have setup for animation.

In Maya you can just select all the objects you want and it displays in its UV Texture Editor viewport what you need to edit ...rather handy ... I cant find a way to do this is max .. :P

Hope this makes sense

Cheers
Glen

actarusprocyon
08-27-2003, 01:22 PM
Did you try selecting one of the objects/segments convert to Editable Mesh/Poly and 'Attach' the others to it,then add the UVWMap modifier,Unwrap the meshes and then 'Detach' them back to their original form?

glennn
08-29-2003, 05:52 AM
Did I mention that this model already has a skin modifier on it and will remove any skinning information that i have on it if a edit mesh or attach is used.

Your solution works fine if the objects arent skinned to any bones.

I managed to use Chugnutts Replace weights position tool in his skin util..
But its still a large workaround .. and doesnt help if i have modified things on a edit mesh level of the stack.

I think from now on i will be keeping the model all as one object.
But we have an angine issue that does not allow more than 32 bones per object. Kind of a weird issue. But thats why i break up the mesh .. Especially for complex characters.

Cheers
Glen

Shane
08-29-2003, 08:24 AM
You should keep it as one object till you are done UV mapping it, then break it up as needed. I know this is a sucky limitation in max, and I have asked them for a fix.

I would like to be able to apply Unwrap UVW modifier on multiple objects, and they all should show up in the Unwrap UVW window.

ottokar
09-05-2003, 12:41 PM
i notice in uvw unwrap in max, there's an option to save and load uvw's, would this work ...
make a copy of your model, do edit mesh or collapse all, whatever, it doesn't matter if you lose your skin weighting since it's only a copy. adjust your texture uvs, then save the uvw's to a file.
then on your real model, load up those uvw's in the uvw unwrap modifier?

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.