PDA

View Full Version : How to: Scale alpha matt

Aikiman
01-11-2010, 03:17 AM
I've got a problem with my alpha showing through around the edge of my image, the image being a sequence of Maya volumetric fluids.

How I can 'choke' it in a bit so I can get rid of most of this?

scrimski
01-11-2010, 03:34 AM
Try a dilate/erode node.

Sounds more like a premult alpha issue though.

beaker
01-12-2010, 01:26 AM
is your background color white? Did you premultiply the color by the alpha?

Aikiman
01-12-2010, 02:07 AM
Yeah it is premultiplied. Ill try with the background white, see how I go.

Thanks guys.

beaker
01-12-2010, 02:32 AM
sorry, I didn't explain myself. I was asking if it was white because that would be an issue with giving funky edges. It should be black.

Aikiman
01-12-2010, 02:48 AM
mmmm funny that because I know not premultiplying it gives funky edges but the alpha seems to be okay and by making the background white creates a snow blizzard where I cant see the edges but again the alpha seems fine too. Ill fire off a batch render later on and get back to yous with some results.

Aikiman
01-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Okay my findings are these.

Setting background colour to white, as we know, doesnt work. Initially I thought it had potential because in the render window it rendered with alpha but in batch render mode it doesnt as one would expect.

Secondly, un-premultiplying is also not a viable option as this 'hardens' the edge and with volumetrics, this makes it look worse than an image that has been premultiplied.

What has worked is rendering the fluid with pre-multiplcation on and then using the dilate/erode node in Shake to crush the edge in therefore getting rid of the fuzzy gray line around everything.

Thanks for your help.

beaker
01-23-2010, 10:48 PM
why can't you use a black bg?

Aikiman
01-24-2010, 07:53 AM
The final test is with a black background with pre-mult on and then brought into Shake to erode alpha inwards to get rid of black ring.

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2010, 07:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.