PDA

View Full Version : Stencil question

vanderbog
01-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Hi guys,
I am trying to sculpt on a flat plane using a stencil.
How can you make a stencil stick to the surface so when you rotate, pan or zoom the surface, the stencil follows ?
Also, how do you make visible the other side of the plane ? (when I turn the plane around I cannot see the other side)
Thanks guys.

plunq
01-12-2010, 03:37 PM
I think you will have better luck using a mask on your plane. Instead of using your image as a stencil, I would load it in as an alpha and in the mask menu press "Mask Alpha". Now your mask will stick to the surface of your model. Nice thing is because it is applied as an alpha, you will always be able to get your mask back by repeating the steps I described.

To make something double sided go into Tool>Display Properties and turn on "Double", or "Flip" if you want to flip your normals.

vanderbog
01-14-2010, 02:22 AM
Thank you very much Joel !
The mask would work indeed a lot better since it moves with the object, but is there a way to put a mask on a surface so you have some control on the scale and position ? (the same kind of controls you have when you put on a stencil)
The "double-side" setting worked like a charm :) Thanks.
One more question:
I created an object, a rectangular shape with certain proportions, in Maya, and when I tried to import the obj file in Zbrush to work on it...I get an error. Are there any restrictions about this procedure ? Or, even better: Can I create geometry with exact dimensions in Zbrush ?

Thanks again for your time.

LosPescados
03-29-2010, 04:23 PM
The mask would work indeed a lot better since it moves with the object, but is there a way to put a mask on a surface so you have some control on the scale and position ? (the same kind of controls you have when you put on a stencil)

Bumping this thread up because I'm actually looking for the same.
Also I couldn't even use the stencil tool because it is grayed out.
Does anyone know how this come ?

Image for example:
http://i43.tinypic.com/34ilhy8.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2010, 04:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.