PDA

View Full Version : Concept Artist wanted - Next-Gen Female Character (volunteer)

grantmoore3d
01-09-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm looking to start off the year by doing a tough personal project. I want to create a game-ready female lead character and put her into a simple demo environment using the Unreal engine. I'm not good at coming up with concepts and even worse at sketching what little comes to mind.

So I am looking for any volunteer concept artists that would like to come up with an idea for a Next-Gen female character. I would be looking for an overall concept package that would give a sense of the character and what she can do as well as the orthographic sketches.

Creative control is in your court. The only things I would request are that she is not over the top sexualized, contains some form of hard surface modeling, and is within my capabilities to put into the game engine / rigged / animated (lots of long hair / robes might be too much for me to handle). Setting, time period, style, good or evil, whatever... it is up to you, so if you have an idea you've been wanting to explore, I'm more than happy to have a stab at bringing it to life.

Any takers?

Note: It is intended only for demo reel purposes and I would obviously credit your work on the design and offer contact/web address information. Unless it's so awesome that someone wants a game made, in which case I'll give you a call :deal:

A man can dream can't he? :D

Rushn
01-14-2010, 06:38 AM
I'm looking to start off the year by doing a tough personal project. I want to create a game-ready female lead character and put her into a simple demo environment using the Unreal engine. I'm not good at coming up with concepts and even worse at sketching what little comes to mind.

So I am looking for any volunteer concept artists that would like to come up with an idea for a Next-Gen female character. I would be looking for an overall concept package that would give a sense of the character and what she can do as well as the orthographic sketches.

Creative control is in your court. The only things I would request are that she is not over the top sexualized, contains some form of hard surface modeling, and is within my capabilities to put into the game engine / rigged / animated (lots of long hair / robes might be too much for me to handle). Setting, time period, style, good or evil, whatever... it is up to you, so if you have an idea you've been wanting to explore, I'm more than happy to have a stab at bringing it to life.

Any takers?

Note: It is intended only for demo reel purposes and I would obviously credit your work on the design and offer contact/web address information. Unless it's so awesome that someone wants a game made, in which case I'll give you a call :deal:

A man can dream can't he? :D

So you need 2D work only? a design, sketch, and orthos.
If it is it, then Im interested.
Here are my works, If you think my work is good enough then lets start working.
http://antonmagdalina.carbonmade.com/

grantmoore3d
01-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Anton, your work looks great! I really like your creature design concepts.

Yes, I'm looking only for 2D concept work for this project. The idea is that I'd like to challenge myself to use someone else's idea/concepts in order to see how well I can capture the idea. I really have very little preference as to what she looks like (amazonian warrior, african huntress, medieval witch, etc...).

We can either use this thread to discuss, or do emails back and forth, which ever you prefer.
mail@grantmoore3d.com

Thanks for the offer!

ndog
01-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Very nice work Rushn, I like the use of secondary colors in your paintings.

grantmoore3d, it would be great if we could follow the progress on this thread.

Rushn
01-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks.

Alright, I'll send you an email and the concept will be done in few days.

Peace.

Rushn
01-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Anton, your work looks great! I really like your creature design concepts.

Yes, I'm looking only for 2D concept work for this project. The idea is that I'd like to challenge myself to use someone else's idea/concepts in order to see how well I can capture the idea. I really have very little preference as to what she looks like (amazonian warrior, african huntress, medieval witch, etc...).

We can either use this thread to discuss, or do emails back and forth, which ever you prefer.
mail@grantmoore3d.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/mail@grantmoore3d.com)

Thanks for the offer!

Hey man, did you get the email from me?

If not then - Tell me what you where thinking for the concept!
First of all the time period, then the character status, then the environment, or you want me to come up with my female character for you to model?

If you entrust me with total creation, then the character will be EPIC.

Usually I would have signed agreement protecting my work and your work and the project it self, but I think this is very small sketch that it will not be necessary.

Hope we'll be even working in future on major projects.

Have a great day.

Best.

grantmoore3d
01-15-2010, 04:50 AM
Yes, I did get the email, just saw it right now along with this message.

I had a few rough ideas in my mind, but I have no problem giving you full creative control for the design. In fact, I would prefer it that way so I have no pre-conception of what I am going to have to model/rig. I'm definitely interested in something EPIC!! :)

I look forward to seeing your ideas! Also, if you feel an agreement is necessary I don't mind signing something, but I do agree that it's probably not necessary for this project. I will be vigilante in making sure people know you did the concept for the character whenever I show the project.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Rushn
01-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Yes, I did get the email, just saw it right now along with this message.

I had a few rough ideas in my mind, but I have no problem giving you full creative control for the design. In fact, I would prefer it that way so I have no pre-conception of what I am going to have to model/rig. I'm definitely interested in something EPIC!! :)

I look forward to seeing your ideas! Also, if you feel an agreement is necessary I don't mind signing something, but I do agree that it's probably not necessary for this project. I will be vigilante in making sure people know you did the concept for the character whenever I show the project.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

What are you feeling for, Medieval or Tribal? Cuz I got too cool concepts. One for a jousting champion, and the other is a tribal queen.

softdistortion
01-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Nice concepts.

Wish you guys success. :buttrock:

grantmoore3d
01-15-2010, 05:22 PM
You're really giving me a tough choice here haha. I love the jousting concept, the asymmetry and contrast between her light frame and the heavy armor makes it very interesting. It definitely stands out as being my preference of the two, however I would be interested to see what could be done with the tribal queen. Maybe you wouldn't mind exploring the tribal one a little further before I give a pick for either one?

Rushn
01-15-2010, 09:22 PM
You're really giving me a tough choice here haha. I love the jousting concept, the asymmetry and contrast between her light frame and the heavy armor makes it very interesting. It definitely stands out as being my preference of the two, however I would be interested to see what could be done with the tribal queen. Maybe you wouldn't mind exploring the tribal one a little further before I give a pick for either one?

Lolz.

My friend, do not worry about the design. the art will be redone anyway. You just choose between Medieval or Tribal and I'll worry about making it epic!

grantmoore3d
01-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Haha alright then, I guess I will just say to go with Medieval then :thumbsup:

Rushn
01-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Haha alright then, I guess I will just say to go with Medieval then :thumbsup:

Sorry about the delay, had to go with family on 3 day ocean camp trip. Rained liked hell all the time.
Just got back in, I'll finish drawing last (left side) of the orthos and post it in tonight.

grantmoore3d
01-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Sounds good, and no rush required... with the CGChallenge just having come out, I'll be a little slow to work on this myself. Looking forward to seeing it!

Rushn
01-19-2010, 01:54 AM
Here it is.

I cant decide if the character needs a helmet or not. You tell me, because it will look epic ether way.

Now, I tried to redraw the character in ortho views carefully. I think everything should match. I've never done such 2D tasks before, so if something is not fitting or confusing, let me know I'll redraw parts taht will be easier for you to model.

I hope you have a generic human model already done, and all you need to do is strap some armor on it!

Also, If you need weapons redrawn separately I can do that. That jousting pike has a weird shape, I saw that shape in a dream I had, therefore I dont have exact shape of the form. Feel free to improvise, not too much, but keep in mind that you do have limited artistic license only for this project. lolz

Also, the drapes, I want them to be stylized somewhat, if the final render is not INGAME quality then this image can turnout very artistic!

Also, If you need a design of the backdrop, let me know, I'll sketch something up quickly.

Enjoy!

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5246/champoinbyantonkagounkif.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/champoinbyantonkagounki.jpg/)

grantmoore3d
01-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Fantastic! I love the character and can't wait to get started on her (probably get something going tomorrow). I think it works really well without a helmet, has great contrast between the big armor and her petite frame.

I know I was looking for a game character originally (and she could easily work as one), but I think I'm going to change my goal to making this a really nice looking render with a backdrop instead. I think going that route would do your design more justice so I can put as much detail as I can into it.

I should be starting it tomorrow and will post a WIP thread in the 3D section (will post a link to it here) so you can see the progress / critique.

Rushn
01-20-2010, 04:06 AM
Fantastic! I love the character and can't wait to get started on her (probably get something going tomorrow). I think it works really well without a helmet, has great contrast between the big armor and her petite frame.

I know I was looking for a game character originally (and she could easily work as one), but I think I'm going to change my goal to making this a really nice looking render with a backdrop instead. I think going that route would do your design more justice so I can put as much detail as I can into it.

I should be starting it tomorrow and will post a WIP thread in the 3D section (will post a link to it here) so you can see the progress / critique.

Glad u like it.

Funny thing happened today, ****ing spilled my tea over my desk, keyboard and 19" wacom tablet. Everything is fine, tablet is not working, I took it apart and set it to dry.

Now if you need anything else, I can do it, if the tablet is operational, you know. If the character is in game, then you can build it in a few days, all you need is a very detailed texture.

Also, a quick modeling thing... Dont think that Im trying to teach you in any way, just a nifty thing that I think is interesting (just in case you didn't know already)
Textures are good, but if the detailed things such as patterns, dents, and such are also modeled, then it will look like a photograph. Check these out.
http://www.render.ru/gallery/show_work.php?work_id=49637&gal_rub=2&gal_add=award#work

Also, do you need a background?
And, will you pose the character some other way later?

grantmoore3d
01-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Awwww, sorry to hear that, hopefully it will start working after it dries out. I've done the same thing with keyboards / mice and usually they work after letting them dry out. *crossing my fingers*

I might need your help on the fine details/designs a little later once I've got the base mesh ready. I'm definitely planning to do that level of detail like the picture you posted. Going to start with a base mesh and hopefully do some great Zbrush details / textures.

I was planning to just put the character on a simple pedestle, maybe a little bit of grass / rocks or something. Though, if you wanted to make a background painting I am open to that since then we could both use the final image 50% each. Would be fun to try and match the 3D model with the feeling of the backdrop.

I actually really like the pose you drew it in. She feels strong and ready, rather in action, which I prefer. It hints at her strength in my opinion.

Anyhow, I've started a WIP thread where I will post as I work on this character, feel free to add your input / direction as I post over there.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6309482#post6309482

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2010, 03:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.