PDA

View Full Version : Digital Arts World Show Cancelled...

gladallover
08-26-2003, 12:33 AM
Just thought I should post this as it doesn't
seem to appear anywhere else as yet.

I went to Leaf last year and feel this is a great loss
for the UK. After reading the article, I'm even more
confused by thier reasoning.

link (http://www.cgchannel.de/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=217)

Leonard
08-26-2003, 12:58 AM
Basically the press release says that LEAF is not viable from a business sense.

We will be ramping up 3D Festival 2004 soon, so get ready to make a short flight to Copenhagen in May.

Leo

---

Press Release

Digital Arts World is cancelled and the London Effects & Animation Festival is suspended

15 August 2003
Advanstar Communications today announced that the Digital Arts World (DAW) exhibition dedicated to the 3D and special effects market has been cancelled. LEAF, the London Effects and Animation Festival, that was planned to run alongside DAW, has been suspended for 2003. DAW and LEAF were scheduled to take place 28-30 October 2003 at Earls Court London.

“The market for animation and 3D solutions has undergone dramatic change over the last 10 years. Creative professionals and post-production houses are now able to buy technology that is as good and easily half the cost as it was last year. Manufacturers and suppliers have therefore seen their margins reduce dramatically and marketing budgets have declined in similar measure. Under these circumstances the need for a dedicated tradeshow disappears” said Karen Parks, Event Director. “In the interests of the market and our customers we have decided it would be inappropriate to spend any more time and effort on an event, which is unable to achieve a minimum amount of support from the market to make it worthwhile for exhibitors and for Advanstar.”

LEAF has received commitment from a large number of experienced artists and leading US film studios this year as well as European games, web creative and post-production houses. “We know suspending LEAF will disappoint many people,” continues Parks. “It has run annually for ten years and is an industry fixture for creative individuals from both sides of the Atlantic. And London has the biggest and most talented pool of companies and individuals outside of Hollywood. The LEAF Award is known world wide for rewarding creative excellence and we’ve seen some great winners over the last 10 years. Sadly, although we have received a significant amount of support this year, LEAF does not have the critical mass needed to make the event commercially viable in its own right. We have therefore decided not to run it at the end of October, but to put the programme on ice while we review our options.”

gladallover
08-26-2003, 01:12 AM
Looking foward to the next 3D Festival.

However losing D.A.W I feel is a great loss for the UK.
Our nearest thing to Siggraph is gone.

Is this indicative of the current state of the 3D industries
in the UK?

“In the interests of the market and our customers we have decided it would be inappropriate to spend any more time and effort on an event, which is unable to achieve a minimum amount of support from the market to make it worthwhile for exhibitors and for Advanstar.”

:cry: :cry:

Leonard
08-26-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by gladallover

Is this indicative of the current state of the 3D industries
in the UK?

Absolutely not (IMO). When Mill Film closed its doors, it cited that market conditions forced it to....but other studios such as Framestore CFC, The Moving Picture Company and Double Negative continue to produce A-list feature film visual effects.

Although the state of the industry does play a big part in the viability of a business, a lot of it also depends on internal mechanisms and management.

L.

gladallover
08-26-2003, 01:44 AM
In a way, the Mill closing it's film dept opend the doors
in the UK for many other companies to strengthen
thier position. As you have mentioned, many are prospering.
I didn't see this as a major threat to business in the UK.

Through various contacts in the industry I know we have
come through shaky times but that there is light at the end
of the proverbial tunnel.

However from a UK point of view we have so few get togethers,
so maybe it's time for something a little more low key, perhaps
with no need for sponsership, just a gathering of likeminded artists.

Just my 2 penneth.

allseeingi
08-26-2003, 02:46 PM
However from a UK point of view we have so few get togethers, so maybe it's time for something a little more low key, perhaps
with no need for sponsership, just a gathering of likeminded artists.

Perhaps there is a place for this kind of thing, but I went to LEAF for the first time last year and it was the single most inspirational, educational and generally beneficial event that I have been to since I got into 3D a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it immensely. If I have to go abroad, looking at the options, Copenhagen costs twice as much when you add travelling and accomodation (So what, almost £1000 all in?) and LA...I can pretty much forget that.

It had the the best talent in the world, abroad and home, and I got to see how these people work. This isn't an attack on the idea but I don't think I am going to get that kind of insight from the kind of thing you're describing.

If I have to go to Copenhagen, and I will now I guess, at least I'll have a bit of money to put towards it. But I am severely dissapointed.

yog
08-26-2003, 03:40 PM
It's a real shame LEAF got cancelled, but I can fully understand Digital Arts World getting canned.

DAG has been getting smaller and smaller each year. I remember when it (it was Digital Media World back then) used to fill a major hall at Wembly Arena, the last time I went it was held in a hall about a quarter of the size and looked lost :sad: That year there were several big names missing, including Alias Wavefront :shrug: . I'm sorry to say that the only exhibitor to keep my attention was the Discreet/MAX booth, all the others run short repeating demos (see it once and your time at that booth is done), whereas Discreet didn't repeat themselves all day.

malducin
08-27-2003, 09:07 AM
Well you always have to wonder if they ouldn't have done something like SIGGRAPH to keep it: have some cuts and belt tightening until things get better.

There is also the eDIT/VES Festival in late September.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.