PDA

View Full Version : 2D: rare animal - color crit please

keight
08-25-2003, 10:03 PM
By way of introduction, while I consider myself pretty much a newbie with CG because I’m really just beginning to do more than just “scan in the sketch and color it in”, I am not at all new to illustration and graphic design.

The original piece, “Leadbeater’s Possum”, was drawn on illustration board with technical pens and India ink washes. It was published in Finder's Guide to Australterrestrials, ISBN 0-9605722-0-1. This is a scanned image taken from the velox I had made at the time I had it photographed. The original is now in a private collection.

As another step toward learning how to properly use this medium, I decided it was time to correct the anatomical error in the original piece (note: the area under the tail, behind the rear legs), and at the same time apply color to the image. This was done with Adobe Photoshop 5.0.2, using separate layers for most of the individual colors used.

Since I was working from a color photograph printed in the book Vanishing Species by Ron Wilson, published in 1979 by Chartwell Books, Secaucus, New Jersey, and printed in Hong Kong, the color in the image I was working from is somewhat suspect. If any Australians, or anyone who has either seen this critter, or has a good color photo of this animal, and who frequent these forums can give me any clues on how to properly correct the colors toward reality I would very much appreciate it. The reason I am requesting this type of crit is that, until 1961 the Leadbeater’s Possum was thought to be extinct.

Here is the link: www.geocities.com/kvcwgraphics/gallery8.html

Thank you all in advance.

pencil-head
08-25-2003, 11:14 PM
i would say it needs to be a more of a grey colour. there ar alot of pics at google (http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Leadbeater%27s+Possum&btnG=Google+Search) that should help you out.

btw if you didn't already know, in photoshop, got to IMAGE=> Adjust=> Hue/Saturaction... to tweek the colours

keight
08-25-2003, 11:56 PM
Thank you very much. That link was great. I had researched the Northern Hairy-nosed Wombat on Google, but never thought to look for the Leadbeater's there. Duh!

The shots gave me a much better take on the proper colors of their favorite gum trees as well. While there are a lot of Eucalyptus trees in the Los Angeles basin, I couldn't be sure which, if any, were the right type.

Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.