PDA

View Full Version : Fun-damentals!

ciarand
01-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Hey everyone,

I have been a member for a while but never posted before other than to the portfolio section. This seems to be one of the most active animation forums around so decided I am going to start posting here for critiques and stuff.

I'm 23, living in Ireland, started Animation Mentor in September. Prior to that I hadn't really done any animation, just a walk cycle which was pretty crap, mainly cuz I hadn't learned the fundamentals and was getting a bit ahead of myself!

Anyway, here is my Class 1 reel - Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/8579568)

Anyway, hope you like it, I also have this (http://vimeo.com/8540021) short Dinosaur animation I did last week just to play around with a rig available from CreativeCrash.

Crits welcome,

Ciaran

MrMike
01-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Hey great work there.

I loved your blueprint backdrop. I just asked this question over at your vimeo but i guess answer were you like if you would.

Did you make the backdrops of did AM.

Also I read that you didn't do much animation before AM I was wondering if you did the Maya Jumpstart program?

I start AM at the end of March. I am not sure if I should do it or not. So if you could give me some feedback on how it was starting off AM that would be great. Thanks.

ciarand
01-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Hey thanks Mike,

Yeah I answered on Vimeo too, saw it in my emails as I was about to log off! AM just provide the rigs, the students do all the backgrounds to their work. You don't have to either, they just grade you on the animation and don't expect you to use props or anything! Also all work is presented as playblasts, so any fancy lighting, shaders or rendering is up to you. Most people like to do it though for the reels.

That blueprint background was just something I found on google, I just straightened it up and drew all the background elements over it, simple stuff. I had some crazier cardboard textures going on in the WIP but I didn't ever really like them!

I didn't do the Maya Jumpstart, so tried to practice it myself before starting. AM also provide a fair amount of Maya training videos that you can access at any time, they really helped. Don't worry about it much, you only really need a basic understanding of Maya. I checked out your vimeo stuff too, you will have no problems starting at AM!

Ciaran

Ps. You will love it! Everyone is really really helpful, and its a lot of fun too!

MrMike
01-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Ah gotcha yeah I new they gave the students the rigs. I just really thought that blueprint backdrop was really slick.

Thats great they provide some maya training videos for people even if they don't do the Maya jumpstart. Your work is looking great for not having much training before AM.

Yeah I have worked in Maya on and off for two years so I know basic's but i don't know much on the curve editor and things like that so I was not sure.

Thanks for the encouragement and taking the time to check out my work.

Hearing from you helps a lot. Thanks again and good luck with the rest of AM!

mehdianim
01-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Animation looks very clean.
Also I like the blueprint backgrounds, shows that you think a little further beyond what is asked of you.
Can't wait to see a short next !

Cheers

ciarand
01-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys,

mehdianim, it could be a while before I do a short! It used to be part of the AM curriculum, class 6 i think, but they have dropped it now in favour of an extra class of body mechanics or acting I think. According to Bobby Beck most of the studios prefer to see a variety of body mechanics and acting shots, rather than sitting through a short film as they may have quite a number of reels to get through,and don't normally watch them with sound anyway, so thats the reason for it being dropped.

Maybe in my spare time I might try something, but I still have a lot to learn before that I think!

Anyway, I am delighted to have found such an active animation forum, most seem to be quite low on traffic.

xXPuntoXx
01-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi Ciaran, loving your work so far cant believe youve only recenty started to work on animation, you seem to have a great style going aswell with you presentation its very eyecatching and clean. Ideally id do the animation mentor course but i simply cant afford it, were you lucky enough to have enough money or is there educational funding that can be obtained in the UK? feel free to not asnwer my question as im aware it may come across a little personal but its the only way ill ever be able to get onto the animation mentor course - thanks and keep up the great work - Adam

zres
01-09-2010, 04:04 PM
great animations !!

ciarand
01-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks guys,

xXpuntoXx -Its no problem, AM offer student loans to students in the UK, but done through a UK bank as far as I know. Ireland is not part of the UK so I cant avail of this option. You can pay per term though which makes it a lot more manageable. The way I look at it is, even though it seems expensive, if I was to go do a full time course somewhere in the UK or Ireland, that takes 2-3 years, it would cost A LOT more than AM, once you start to add up the cost of accommodation, food and other expenses as a student as well as the college fees.

Then on top of that you can keep a full time 9-5 job at AM, which I couldn't if I was in college so in the long run its a better option financially, at least for me anyway. Its worth the money anyway thats for sure! :thumbsup:

MugenTsukiyomi
01-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Nice animation. It looks like you got the fundamentals packed. What's the name of your characters?

CGTalk Moderation
01-10-2010, 01:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.