PDA

View Full Version : Hans Monitor good?

CKPinson
01-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Newegg has a special for a 28" Hans Monitor for $289 free shipping- is this a good monitor? And also does anyone have a good suggestion for either Computer Speakers or Headset- my right speaker went out appearently and my headset is MIA!

Oh and here is the link to the monitor at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL010810&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL010810-_-MonitorsLCDFlatPanel-_-L0B-_-24254043

cgbeige
01-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I've never heard of Hans. I would not trust a monitor that cheap, especially if I didn't know the manufacturer.

biliousfrog
01-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Hanns-G produce budget monitors...it's a budget monitor, it is as good as a 28" monitor for less than $300 can be, nothing more. There are reviews on the page you linked to, most of them are ok so, for a sub-$300 28" LCD monitor, it seems to be ok.

CKPinson
01-08-2010, 08:17 PM
NVM then- probably end up with a Dell.

Jettatore
01-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Hanns-G is actually one of the better budget vendors on the market. I've seen some of their monitors win customer choice awards at Newegg. Unless your going after something real good and expensive, I would definitely give them a second look and read the user reviews for the product you were looking at. Dell's are apparently decent but they are consumer end, not professional monitors. Make sure you know the differences before you drop extra money on a monitor that still won't be a professionally accurate display.

CKPinson
01-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Any Pro Monitor suggestions- under $500

Jettatore
01-09-2010, 01:22 AM
For $500, possibly, but likely not in the absolute larger size your looking for.

Check this thread. Or many other threads along the same subject on here for good info on what to look for, for starters, and then you can get a feel for prices. It's not cheap, but personally I'd rather have a small color correct unit next to a larger consumer end screen so that I have both desktop real estate and accuracy.

Thread.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=23&t=840171

Link to NEC which may be one of the most affordable solutions.

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/SubClass/?subclass=bc36902c-b5d6-43a8-9a5a-ff637e7ca705

Do reviews on any specific product before you buy, and you shouldn't be disappointed.

biliousfrog
01-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Hanns-G is actually one of the better budget vendors on the market. I've seen some of their monitors win customer choice awards at Newegg. Unless your going after something real good and expensive, I would definitely give them a second look and read the user reviews for the product you were looking at. Dell's are apparently decent but they are consumer end, not professional monitors. Make sure you know the differences before you drop extra money on a monitor that still won't be a professionally accurate display.

But are the reviews on Newegg indicative of the requirements for a monitor for CG work or are they just reviews by the general public who have probably only ever used one or two monitors before and don't have anything else to compare their new purchase with?

The 'professional' series of Dell monitors are great and able to compete comfortably with much more expensive brands. They are also the only manufacturer to offer a blanket, no-catch, zero dead pixel guarantee across their ultrasharp range unlike many of the supposedly high-end brands that have various hidden clauses...So don't dismiss the Dell monitors as 'consumer' and not 'professionally accurate' because that is incredibly inaccurate and mis-informed.

CKPinson
01-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Good info- which Dell pro model would you suggest? I see they have widescreen and Ultrasharp.

biliousfrog
01-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Ultrasharp are the higher end models with the better PVA and IPS displays. I've been using a 2408WFP for a couple of years and I'm very happy with it. It needed a little calibration to tone down the reds but it's a very nice monitor (PVA panel), the newer IPS models are supposed to be even better. They might be over your budget but they offer a lot of features for the price and are definitely worth a look. I'd certainly consider a 2nd hand one over a cheap TN panel display.

meleseDESIGN
01-17-2010, 08:51 PM
My Girlfriend has the 28" Hans-G Monitor.
It is a good Monitor for a little price.
Only thing i have noticed it shows some jitter for the first 10 minutes after power is on.

meyers3d
01-19-2010, 12:05 AM
I am actually using the Hanns-G 28" as my main monitor at home. So far I am pleased with it and haven't had any problems whatsoever. The only thing is you will have to play with the color settings and the brightness/contrast settings a bit when you first get it. Of course this is a budget monitor but for the price and size of it, I think it is a great deal.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2010, 12:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.