PDA

View Full Version : New to 3ds

Rookie813
01-08-2010, 02:46 AM
Hello all,

My question is I am new to 3ds Max and I would like your opinion from you so talented individuals out there; on what's the best way to start out.

1. Trying to figure stuff out on my own or do tutorials?
2. A mixture of both?

Many of you people have great skill and I wish all of you the best with whatever you do in life.

Peace,
Rookie 813

camicamirobot
01-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Just do a bunch of tutorials until you build up your skills enough to mess around on your own. Good luck, buddy :D

facedeleted
01-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Hello Rookie 813, I would do the second option, mixing up a bit of both. I'm still very much a rookie myself to Max, but what I did was start out by learning how to model relatively simple objects, like furniture or maybe sporting equipment and that type of stuff. You can go on YouTube and find some tutorials covering that type of material for free just to get a jump on things. Model some simple objects, learn how to apply materials to them even if its only just a few, maybe how to set up some simple lighting, and then from there move on to whatever seems to fall into place. To learn more advanced stuff from there you'll probably want to purchase some books or some video tutorials online. I've found that there are two major approaches to modeling: 'box' modeling and strip modeling. I started out with 'box' modeling and that made it easier for me to start playing around with the more detailed approach of strip modeling. Hope that helps and good luck!

Quipster
01-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Welcome to the world of 3D !!

Tutorials, and videos will definatly be an extremely valuable asset in learning the basics. I know a quick youtube search for "3Ds Max Tutorials" will return more then a few great videos. Have a look here (http://www.good-tutorials.com/tutorials/3ds-max?page=1) aswel. I may not be a professional, but if you have any questions, send me a PM, and I'll get back to you asap.

Good luck to you !

Quip

Rookie813
01-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone... I will definitely work on a mixture of both.

danshewan
01-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Hey Jared,

Learn your tools first before setting out to do your own projects. That way, you won't hit a wall of frustration if your idea isn't translating as well into 3D as you want it to, and you won't become needlessly discouraged.

Do as many tutorials as you can get your hands on, then start your own projects. When you do start your own projects, you'll still run into enough specific situations that will be very valuable teaching experiences in and of themselves, but make sure you know your software before embarking on your own stuff. Once you can look at an object and figure out different ways of tackling it, you'll know that you're ready to branch out.

As for what tutorials to do, this site has some fantastic tutorials for Max.

http://cg.tutsplus.com/

simplex07
01-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I am also new-ish to Max, I have watched tutorials, but kind of lost the interest, until some time ago ( couple of months ago ) when I was cleaning my hard-disk and noticed some tutorials sitting there and I thought that it would be ashame to delete them and so I started again.
I am now doing different modeling tutorials because I myself don't have the proper know-how as to how a tool should be used and when, if there are advantages or disadvantages, if it is useful for the purpose or not, or just how do I combine A and B to obtain C.
So if you have never seen max before, I would recommend an essentials training to get you started with the interface, then work your way from there with other tutorials.
Lastly: motivation - very useful to have :)

Good luck.

Sinew
01-14-2010, 02:07 PM
definatley do tutorials! thats all i did in my first year at uni, as my tutors were a waste of space 90% of the time.
I found it more interesting to adapt tutorials, and work along side the tutorial rather than follow it step by step, that way I picked up the skills, but also I wasnt limited to what someone else had already created.

also dont forget that Max has a pretty indepth manual (press F1 if you get stuck!). I use this all the time, mainly to understand how certain adjustments affect what I'm trying to achieve, and trust me, it will save you hours of time!!

Dean

hypnocookie
01-26-2010, 12:38 PM
When I first started I found that it helped me to think of a scene of medium complexity then try and model that one object at a time, if I didnt know how to model it off to the internet for tutorials, you can find a tutorial on how to model just about anything.

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2010, 12:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.