PDA

View Full Version : First animations ever

dipset0181
01-07-2010, 12:17 AM
hi,
i,m new here. I am 17 years old and i live in the netherlands. Im doing a graphic designers education and next year i would like to choose animation as a specialization. I think i do it pretty wel for my age i used 3ds max and after effects.
I like to hear what you think about it, thanks!

This is the first one i ever made. it was a school assignment to redesign a taperecorder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuhLJdyo9HM

Here is something i did to practice a little.(i thinks it needs to be sped up a little)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0j65qqA3Mk

MLHayes
01-07-2010, 05:33 PM
hi,
i,m new here. I am 17 years old and i live in the netherlands. Im doing a graphic designers education and next year i would like to choose animation as a specialization. I think i do it pretty wel for my age i used 3ds max and after effects.
I like to hear what you think about it, thanks!

This is the first one i ever made. it was a school assignment to redesign a taperecorder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuhLJdyo9HM

Here is something i did to practice a little.(i thinks it needs to be sped up a little)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0j65qqA3Mk

I don't think age has anything to do with it,also it's not good to toot your own horn. If you want to know the truth it's ok for just starting off,but it's no character animation and it's nothing to get excited over.

dpendleton
01-07-2010, 05:52 PM
I think he did a pretty good job for a first timer the animation is not bad it could be a tad bit more fluid. I am a beginner myself and hope to get better with time.

Remi
01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I don't think age has anything to do with it,also it's not good to toot your own horn. If you want to know the truth it's ok for just starting off,but it's no character animation and it's nothing to get excited over.

I say toot away, it's called self promotion, and I think it's perfectly fine, this place is full of it. I do agree with the comments to a degree, it's good for just starting off. As for getting excited over it, it's your first animation, go for it, get excited, I would hope you do. But what I would say is, I think you're trying to get ahead of yourself. Start with the basics, don't jump right into it, the principles of animation relate to all animation, not just character animation and I would say right now you have a lack of fundamentals, start with the basics and really hammer on them, no matter how "simple" it seems, do it until you don't have to conciously think about it anymore. Study everything animation. Don't give up, and good luck!!!

LocoAndy
01-07-2010, 08:17 PM
:applause: Nice effort, but that animation needs a lot of work. As the others said, it's good for starting off, but you need to do some research. Look up the 12 principles of animation and buy the Animator's Survival Kit book.

MLHayes
01-08-2010, 03:41 AM
I didn't mean to sound like a douche,it actually is something for yourself to get excited about. Better than what I did just starting for sure.

ciarand
01-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey man,

its not bad, but I do agree with the others. You should really go and learn the fundamentals. I know you might not be interested in animating a basic bouncing ball at first but believe me you will learn at least 2 of the most important things - Spacing and Timing.

Looking at your Pixar spoof animation, I would say you probably don't use the graph editor at all? The movements of the lamp are very floaty, and I am sure if you look at the curves in the graph editor everything is set to either spline or flat tangents. I am not going to go into it as there is loads to learn! But even in the real pixo lamp animation, you can see all the fundamentals in effect!

It wont take you very long to just do a few simple tutorials, and get a good grasp of the fundamentals, you would never get anywhere in animation without learning them! Oh and the Animators Survival kit is an awesome book, you will get it from amazon for around 40.

Good luck, hope to see some stuff from you in the future, you seem to have the ambition anyway. :thumbsup:

mehdianim
01-08-2010, 07:59 PM
...On making your first keys. As people have said before, the road to really satisfying animation is long but it's also fun. The fact that you started off with character animation shows you're excited to get results, but you do lack the fundamentals.

Get the bouncing ball exercise done (Well), then look at Pixar's Logo again frame by frame on your DVd player and see what they are doing that you aren't. Focus on only a few elements at a time, like one jump, one reaction etc... take it slow at first and break the movement down for yourself.

Once you start developing a good sense of timing it'll start getting enjoyable for you to do and for everybody else to watch.

Cheers

dipset0181
01-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the responses it were my first animations ever. the pixar thing i did to learn myself more about rigging and such. I also do it for fun i like to learn about it and ill look up that book;).
thanks alot

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2010, 12:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.